Health & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 384. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

52%
No

16%
Pizza is yummy

32%
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2008
1091 posts
510 upvotes
catchjosephnow wrote: Guess what laser system is used at London Vision Clinic -which is one of the most reputable laser centres in the world...you guessed it... SMILE

If you are in Asia or Europe (like above) and you are still doing LASIK they laugh at you... Bochner has their own agenda and so does everyone else..
The whole "SMILE" is new is outdated .. it's like telling people that Tesla is too 'new' and 'unproven'...

Do your research.

PS:.I've had 4 family members who have had SMILE all with great results.. this was after I had LASIK/PRK many years ago..
Most people will get fine results with any of the options. And yes do your own research.

I would just point out the following. "London Vision Clinic" is a private clinic, whose founder developed the SMILE system. So of course they will be pro-SMILE.

Moorfields Eye Hospital is the oldest and largest center for ophthalmic treatment, teaching and research in Europe. That's more renowned than a private clinic. Moorfields tried SMILE for one year and dropped it because they concluded that outcomes were not better than LASIK, and in worst case scenarios, they were worse than Lasik. SMILE has additional risks and most neutral doctors are saying that the outcomes are NOT better with SMILE than LASIK.

Here's a good debate between a pro-SMILE surgeon (who gets research grants from Zeiss -- the maker of SMILE equipment) versus a surgeon who doesn't think SMILE is better (from renowned Cleveland Clinic''s Cole Eye Institute).
https://www.reviewofophthalmology.com/a ... e-vs-lasik

So yes, do your own research and don't just believe what the clinic is telling you. The clinics that have SMILE equipment will certainly promote the advantages of SMILE. But most leading experts think SMILE does not produce better outcomes than LASIK.
Nov 19, 2018
51 posts
21 upvotes
Surrey, BC
First off, thanks everyone for all their input into this thread. What's the difference between standard PRK/Custom PRK and the SmartSurface PRK at PLEC? Still a bit uncertain after reading.

Looking at reviews and people's experience it seems PLEC is the best way to go, but i want to know what exactly makes it stand out from doing it at LasikMD, or LondonEye or other.

Background: I am leaning towards choosing PRK over LASIK because i practise MMA now. Some say that impact would have to be quite significant to disturb the flap from LASIK, but PRK seems the safest despite the long recovery time.

Any recent experiences of PRK at PLEC or London Eye?

All input appreciated!

Edit: Well that was fast. Got quoted by LASIK MD and PLEC. Roughly $3100 for both eyes, but PLEC has extra post op fees. After more research and going through pages ~150-200 here again, I have a greater peace of mind with PLEC and I'm now booked with them for mid-November! Excited at first, now nervous and praying I'm part of the 99% that have no issues and no long term dry eye / halo.

They asked me how i heard about them. My response: Redflagdeals. Goodjob guys.
Deal Addict
Nov 10, 2004
1098 posts
85 upvotes
phozys wrote:
Edit: Well that was fast. Got quoted by LASIK MD and PLEC. Roughly $3100 for both eyes, but PLEC has extra post op fees. After more research and going through pages ~150-200 here again, I have a greater peace of mind with PLEC and I'm now booked with them for mid-November! Excited at first, now nervous and praying I'm part of the 99% that have no issues and no long term dry eye / halo.

They asked me how i heard about them. My response: Redflagdeals. Goodjob guys.
Hey. All the best with the surgery! What's the extra post op fees you post? I'm scheduled in for Dec!
Nov 19, 2018
51 posts
21 upvotes
Surrey, BC
Spyder187 wrote: Hey. All the best with the surgery! What's the extra post op fees you post? I'm scheduled in for Dec!
Co-management fees that are required for the routine followups - about $100/followup for my optometrist.

Currently on a mix of Vit B, C, D and 1800mg in Omega 3 per day. Specific dosage: 1200mcg b12, 1000mg C, 1000IU D, 2 x 600 EPA 300 DHA Omega 3 pills, all Costco.

With the omegas, the instructions say to take 4000mg of Omega 3 fish oil - but different brands of fish oil have different concentrations of Omega 3s (EPA/DHA) - a 1000mg pill could be 180 EPA and 120 DHA, with the remainder 700mg as traces of omega 6/9s etc. Wish they were a little more clear.

Will clean up diet a week or so before. Overkill? Possibly, but my lifestyle is pretty healthy for the most part already so its easy. Took it from a post on reddit
Nov 2, 2020
1 posts
Hello everyone!

Could you please recommend a good clinic for laser eye surgery in Canada?
I am planning to choose ReLEx SMILE. It looks like that most of the recommendations are refer to Clearview and Herzig.
Just interested in your opinions.
Feb 8, 2010
291 posts
48 upvotes
I thought this stuff should get cheaper over time?

Herzig $2700/eye for Lasik? seems steep. More than TLC when i went for a consult a few years ago.