Health & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 513. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

52%
No

16%
Pizza is yummy

31%
Feb 21, 2012
11 posts
1 upvote
VANCOUVER
DarkCanuck wrote: I had a consult at both back in July and was a perfect candidate for both LASIK and PRK. Ended up with Coal Harbour LASIK as to be both places were exactly the same (other than price). Mine was $1250 all-in.

Thanks for letting me know - you were happy with coal harbour overall? I like that Dr kirzner has done so many procedures, but I don,t like that there is a reasonable chance they will switch me from LASIK to prk on surgery day. If they are just going to redo the test and have drkirzner decide, it seems like this could be done in advance. Maybe theyll do a second consultation if I ask? I want the best procedure for my eyes, but I'm not sure I can swing the downtime of prk right now
Feb 26, 2012
2 posts
SAINTE-FOY
Hello,

I m going to have my surgery on march 10.

I have a low prescription only -1 for both eyes. I m 25.

Advanced Custom Wavefront Lasik with Keratome: $1 180

But I really hesitate to do it. Any advice ?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1146 posts
418 upvotes
Leduc
rony1987 wrote: Hello,

I m going to have my surgery on march 10.

I have a low prescription only -1 for both eyes. I m 25.

Advanced Custom Wavefront Lasik with Keratome: $1 180

But I really hesitate to do it. Any advice ?

Thanks
DO NOT GET IT DONE. Any respectable place would turn down someone with a low prescription like yours. High chance you will be over corrected or under corrected and still be stuck with glasses, along with any problems the laser induces.

amyotte wrote: A posting about how i fared out with my Lasik done last May, 2011 at LasikMD. I went for Advanced Wavefront Lasik and was told this is like HD for my eyes. Cost was $4000. I chose monovision due to being over 50. For 2 months after my initial surgery I could not read with my close up eye. I had to use cheap reading glasses to correct my distance eye to do so. Near the end of July I complained enough to get to see the surgeon again. More tests done and they found astigmatism that they said they could correct and had an enhancement that day. Since my distance eye was still not seeing clearly 2 months later I complained enough and more tests revealed that there was more astigmatism in my distance eye so at the end of Sept I had an enhancement done on my distance eye. Distance vision still to this day has ghosting due to left over astigmatism. In November I saw the surgeon again and he said that the left over astigmatism is not enough to risk another enhancement. So I am left with blurry vision. Night vision is terrible with starbursts and halos getting less but with the astigmatism stoplights have allot of ghosting on them. I did get my prescription and have bought glasses for driving that do help. I also found out that 20/20 just means that you can guess a few of the 20/20 letters on the chart. They do not have to be clear or sharp. Even my own eye doc confirmed this. As for the LasikMD literature that says your vision will be better than with glasses - it is not so.

My experience has not been good, I would not recommend this to anyone and I would ask that anyone really think that what if they are the about 5% that have problems would you do the Lasik.

Brian
welcome to the club of sadness. i had laser eye surgery in 2005, regretted it ever since. if you want to try and fix the problems you have now get fitted for RGP contacts and if you cant stand those try synergeyes contacts and mini sclerals. side effects from laser sugery is actually about 25%. it's a crap shoot on what you'll get out of it. oh and your vision, unless you have an abnormal amount of eye defects, will always be sharper with glasses or rgp contacts. current laser tech isnt accurate enough to provide cell like smoothness.
Feb 26, 2012
2 posts
SAINTE-FOY
[quote="microwave" post_id="14338376" time="1330448154" user_id="34907"]DO NOT GET IT DONE. Any respectable place would turn down someone with a low prescription like yours. High chance you will be over corrected or under corrected and still be stuck with glasses, along with any problems the laser induces.

I have made my free consultation at Lasik MD and they told me no problem and today I have called another eye surgery center they told me the same thing.
Do you know some peoplw who have had bad experiences with low prescription ?

Thanks
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2007
1226 posts
130 upvotes
Barrie/Toronto
If anyone wants to spend a week in Pennsylvania (although testing, surgery & recovery could be done in 3 days) & take a bus or something down, there are 3 places doing lasik for $2200 (both eyes) down from $4800. LINK: Sale on for 4 days (until March 3)

Got my surgery done about 6 months ago.... it's amazing. Pain for a few hours after until gravol/codine kicked in & by the morning I was fine & saw 20/20. Not a single problem. Words really can't describe how awesome it is to be able to SEE. :D
My Ebay items for sale: HERE! :)
Feb 21, 2012
11 posts
1 upvote
VANCOUVER
So today I had my third (and final) consultation at pacific laser eye centre with Dr. Lin.

Overall, the tests were quite similar to the other two places, I went in and out for various tests. I did note that the tests were less comprehensive though. My eyes weren't dilated, they didn,t touch my eye to test the pressure, and they didn't use all the different lenses to determine my exact prescription. The tests weren't explained to me very thoroughly, so it is possible they used slightly different tests and I didn't realize what they were doing. As a side note, because I had these tests done during the other consultations, I know that I don't have any major problems. I obviously would have preferred the full work up however.

I really liked that I got to sit down with dr Lin himself. He told me I had a realitively low prescription and healthy corneas, and that I would be a good candidate for either LASIK or prk. I told him I'd prefer LASIK.

I also liked that dr Lin would personally do my one day follow up. However i dont like that Pacific does not do any further follow ups. This means iD have to find another eye doctor to do about 5 follow ups at my own expense. This is not only an extra expense, but i,d rather have a place that specializes in laser eye surgery doing the exams. Pacific also requires all patients to have a full eye exam at their own eye doctor at least four days before the LASIK. I thought this was a bit strange, but not a big deal.

I was quoted $3100 for the procedure. This is for custom wavefront, the only type of LASIK that pacific offers. This is obviously my most expensive option, and more than I had initially planned for the procedure (especially since follow ups aren't included). However, this is my eyes and I'm not particularly price sensitive if there are potential advantages.

One of the biggest things dr Lin has going for him is his experience and excellent reoutations. I've been referred to him by two separate colleagues, whose opinions I trust. They are both the type to investigate until they pick the "best". I've repeatedly heard that Lin is the best.

On a very insignificant note, pacific was the least convenient location ( haha it's a 10 minute drive - apparently I live in an amazing location for access to LASIK). I'm also not sure if I'd be able to get the ideal appointment time I'd like, which might mean I have to wait longer before getting it.

Decisions, decisions, decisions.... Not sure which one I'm leaning towards yet, as they all have clear pros and cons. Hubby has suggested I make some complicated list with weighting assigned to various criteria, and I might just be enough of a type a personality to do it! I was sort of oping I'd have a clear gut feeling on the right place, but that hasn't happened.

I'll keep you updated with my ultimate decision.
Dec 14, 2005
333 posts
148 upvotes
BC
I am -12.75 and -10.5 and am evaluating Laser Eye clinics in the GVR.

Clinic A is recommending Interlase Lasik with Custom and Clinic B is recommending PRK for my high myopic prescription.

I have read the last 30 plus pages in this thread and I don't think I have seen anyone with a prescription as high as mine. I was wondering if anyone out there with a similar prescription that can write about their experience.

Also, I am looking for experiences with Dr. Joseph King from King Laser (formerly Clearly Lasik). Has anyone done PRK with Dr. King?
Keep Calm & Save Money on RFD!!
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24670 posts
8741 upvotes
Toronto
EricaB wrote: Decisions, decisions, decisions.... Not sure which one I'm leaning towards yet, as they all have clear pros and cons. Hubby has suggested I make some complicated list with weighting assigned to various criteria, and I might just be enough of a type a personality to do it!.
this is a good approach and kind of like what I did when making my decision of which laser eye surgeon to go with...it should give you a better picture..
EricaB wrote: One of the biggest things dr Lin has going for him is his experience and excellent reoutations. I've been referred to him by two separate colleagues, whose opinions I trust. They are both the type to investigate until they pick the "best". I've repeatedly heard that Lin is the best.
this IMO is the most important factor and should be given the heaviest weighting...in fact, when I went with my surgeon/clinic this was pretty much the deciding factor.

Everything else is secondary but the surgeon's skill/experience and actual feedback from people that you know and trust who went through the procedure a few years ago is the best kind of evaluation.

I ended up going with Herzig here in Toronto because of his skill/experience (he is one of the founders of the Herzig clinic and personally did my surgery) and because I had 2 family friends undergo the same procedure a few years back and had excellent experiences with him and nothing wrong with them to this day.
EricaB wrote: I also liked that dr Lin would personally do my one day follow up. However i dont like that Pacific does not do any further follow ups. This means iD have to find another eye doctor to do about 5 follow ups at my own expense. This is not only an extra expense, but i,d rather have a place that specializes in laser eye surgery doing the exams.
The 24-48 hrs after the surgery are the most important. It is good that Dr. Lin will be examining you after the surgery for the 1day follow-up. That is crucial.

If there are any complications, it will be detected then and addressed swiftly.

IMO, the only other post-op exam that is kind of important is the 1wk one just to ensure nothing is wrong with your eyes. The additional post-op follow-ups are not as important (1 month etc) because all they did for me was briefly exam the eye and test my vision.

It is an amazing feeling to be glasses free, g'luck!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
6209 posts
3028 upvotes
Toronto
microwave wrote: welcome to the club of sadness.
This about sums up this poster on the topic. Holy crap, get over it. You're unfortunately a statistical anomaly. Here's a guide to whether or not you should have laser surgery done.

1. Can you afford it (and I mean a reputable place so budget for $4000+; remember it's tax deductible too)? If not, do not proceed further.
2. Do you really need it? In other words, do contacts make you uncomfortable, or are glasses impractical in many situations? Do you play sports? If you don't really feel you have a need, then don't do it.
3. Are you an ideal candidate? How poor is your vision? What is you age? Do you have any other complications or problems with your sight that may make you a non-ideal candidate? If not, then seriously consider #2 again before doing it.
4. Do you realize that there are risks, and that there is a - however small - possibility that your vision may not be better, and that multiple surgeries may be required to correct your vision (which, if you've done #1 will be free), and can you live with that?

If you satisfy all conditions, you may be good candidate, but talk to your optometrist and surgeon first.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2003
6209 posts
3028 upvotes
Toronto
rony1987 wrote: I have made my free consultation at Lasik MD and they told me no problem and today I have called another eye surgery center they told me the same thing.
Thanks
You are talking to someone who has a bias against laser eye surgery, and who has taken in every negative piece of information about laser eye surgery as gospel. Number one rule: avoid obviously biased sources, especially those who have started their own "club of sadness."
Feb 21, 2012
11 posts
1 upvote
VANCOUVER
Thank you Ji2o0k, your post was very helpful. When I make a non- weighted pros/cons list, Dr Lin has the fewest pros, however the ones he does have are by far the most important. At the end of the day, I believe he has the best reputation, experience and recommendations. Everything else is probably just minor inconveniences in comparison.

I'm still a little confused by the technology of each place, they all talk about how they have the "best" and latest, but is:
Coal harbour LASIK the same as LASIK md standard?
LASIK md custom the same as pacific's wavefront?
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1146 posts
418 upvotes
Leduc
milhaus wrote: You are talking to someone who has a bias against laser eye surgery, and who has taken in every negative piece of information about laser eye surgery as gospel. Number one rule: avoid obviously biased sources, especially those who have started their own "club of sadness."

i think laser eye surgery has it's place. if you have really bad eyes and your vision sucks even with glasses or contacts or you have to wear both to see then sure it's something to consider. if you can see well with glasses or contacts then it's not worth the risk. sure you have 3-1 odds in your favor but if you end up with a problem then you're ****ed for life. having vision problems is not something you can get over, it destroys your life and is far more of an inconvenience than having to put in contacts when playing a sport.
I have made my free consultation at Lasik MD and they told me no problem and today I have called another eye surgery center they told me the same thing.

Thanks
technically the laser is approved to correct +-0.5, however smaller corrections have a higher chance of being over or under corrected. usually prescriptions of +-1 diopter are only done for touch up surgeries since the surgeon will have some estimate of how much your eye will regress during healing.
Mar 6, 2012
1 posts
LANGLEY
Had my lasik surgery at LASIK MD in Vancouver in November of 2010 and have had amazing results. Went from being almost blind without the help of contacts to seeing 20/20. My pupils were super large (8.6mm) but my night vision isn't as bad as I thought it would be, still not great. They gave me some Alphagan drops to have better night vision if it was really bothering me although I haven't had to use them in many months as I drive perfectly fine. Technology sure comes a long way and this place really took care of me very well for the past year.
Feb 23, 2012
2 posts
Has lasik done at Lasik MD at North York centre by Dr. Mounir Bashour. I couldn't be happier. I wish I had it done years ago. My vision is 20/20 now Day 5.

Going in, I had slightly larger than normal pupil and a bit of astigmatism in 1 eye. So I had to go with the Customer Wavelength Lasik.
No starburst, halo effects or anything of that matter. Everything is looking Great!.
Feb 21, 2012
11 posts
1 upvote
VANCOUVER
So I'm scheduled for next Thursday with dr Lin at pacific. A tiny bit nervous but excited!
Mar 14, 2012
1 posts
EDMONTON
bobcat99 wrote: Has anyone had lens implant recently. With my -12.50 I am not a good candidate for Lasik and my eye doctor is recommending an implant.
Are these not the safest as it is a form of cataract surgery which has been around for a while.

I had the refractive lens exchange procedure on January 10th at Gimbel Eye Centre. Dr. Gimbel did both eyes during the surgery and my -12 vision is now 20-20. Couldn't be happier. Procedure was stress and pain free - I just had the eye drops. I'd wholeheartedly recommend Gimbel and the RLE. I'm 60 years of age and did not have cataracts.
Mar 16, 2012
2 posts
ACTON
I had lasik done at Lasik MD at Mississauga by Dr. Nia one week ago and am very happy with the results. Dr. Nia was super nice and took the time to address any questions I had before the procedure. I have slightly larger than normal pupils and a fairly high prescription (-6 in both eyes) so I had to go with the Customer Wavelength Lasik.
Very minimal halos at night, no worse than I use to have with my contacts.

With my prescription strength I was advised I would have a 20-24% chance of regression though and may require an enhancement down the road, but even with that, completely worth it.

The procedure itself was not too bad either. The most uncomfortable part is the clamp that holds your eye open. The rest you don't feel and it's over in minutes.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2006
1379 posts
609 upvotes
Toronto
I'm going on 6+ yrs now since my Lasik in Mississauga with absolutely no complications since day one.

My prescript was 1.50 in each eye and it cost just under $1600 at the time.

I went for an eye exam for the first time since the surgery last month, and the doc told me my eyes were not only perfect, but beyond it, like I have HD vision :razz:
Deal Fanatic
Jun 2, 2006
7019 posts
1546 upvotes
Mississauga
AmandaCoish wrote: I had lasik done at Lasik MD at Mississauga by Dr. Nia one week ago and am very happy with the results. Dr. Nia was super nice and took the time to address any questions I had before the procedure. I have slightly larger than normal pupils and a fairly high prescription (-6 in both eyes) so I had to go with the Customer Wavelength Lasik.
Very minimal halos at night, no worse than I use to have with my contacts.

With my prescription strength I was advised I would have a 20-24% chance of regression though and may require an enhancement down the road, but even with that, completely worth it.

The procedure itself was not too bad either. The most uncomfortable part is the clamp that holds your eye open. The rest you don't feel and it's over in minutes.

I'm thinking of finally taking the chance this year. My prescription is very similar to yours, may I ask how much was the cost?

edit: Reading as far back as I can and I think I'll narrow it down between bochner and lasik md, lasik md is VERY tempting cause theres a location in mississauga and coincidentally, work near the downtown location as well lol

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)