Health & Wellness

[Merged] laser eye surgery

Poll: Mid twenties a good age to get it done?

• Total votes: 430. You have voted on this poll.
Yes

53%
No

16%
Pizza is yummy

32%
Jul 20, 2012
716 posts
198 upvotes
Air Force One
Forgot to update
had my 3 month checkup recently

20/20 each eye
20/15 with both eyes

As for my halos/starbursts, they aren't that bad (worse for bright white lights, less so for yellow) and don't affect my driving at all. I was told it could take anywhere from 6 months to even a year for it to go away.
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2005
2733 posts
1393 upvotes
Surrey
Discombobulator wrote: Had PRK done 2 months ago
$1474 all in when Coal Harbour was having their promotion

Best decision of my life
total downtime was 1.5 weeks from work but I easily could have gone back after a week.
Downtime shmowntime honestly
just take a vacation or something
I had sick leave so I used that but I was ready to take vacation days until my manager told me to just use sick days.
It's totally worth it to avoid the flap.
I went to Coal Harbour, Lasik MD and London Eye Centre. All of them recommended PRK with Wavefront because of high prescription.
Coal Harbour $1900
Lasik MD $ 1750 and yearly checkup for $120 not sure if this is covered by Coal Harbour
London Eye Centre $2490

I am still little bit hesitant, not sure which one to choose? How long is recovery they say 6 months or year depends on person. How you guys feeling after surgery?

Thanks
Dec 18, 2006
886 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone has any experience with or heard about Crystal Clear Vision? It's new and it was supposedly opened and run by the same doctor that co-founded TLC? Thanks!
Aug 1, 2005
792 posts
65 upvotes
BananaHunter wrote: I got a quote. I'm near sighted. Around 3.5, slight differences left and right. Slight astigmatism. For both eyes $2380. + $500 if I want their 5 year vision plan. This price is for the standard Lasik. For wavefront, it's going to cost over $4k.
I have the same prescription and same quote.
Did you end up doing this?
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3299 posts
774 upvotes
Vancouver
paaji wrote: I went to Coal Harbour, Lasik MD and London Eye Centre. All of them recommended PRK with Wavefront because of high prescription.
Coal Harbour $1900
Lasik MD $ 1750 and yearly checkup for $120 not sure if this is covered by Coal Harbour
London Eye Centre $2490

I am still little bit hesitant, not sure which one to choose? How long is recovery they say 6 months or year depends on person. How you guys feeling after surgery?

Thanks
Why are you unsure which one to choose? I don't know for the others, but I didn't even consider Lasik MD or London Eye Centre. IMO Coal Harbour is probably the 2nd top place in town (after Pacific Laser Eye Centre, mainly b/c of Dr. Lin). And you can't beat Coal Harbour's price either. :p

I'm almost 3 months after prk and while my vision isn't quite HD crystal clear, I would still be satisfied if it didn't improve further. I'd say almost on par with how I was seeing previously with contacts on. Vision was terrible up to about 1.5 months after surgery and it's remarkable how much things have improved for me since. So if you get it done, don't lose hope if after a month you still can't see that well.
Jan 28, 2009
196 posts
76 upvotes
Just wanted to chime in on this thread.

Had a consultation at TLC Eye Clinic in Waterloo and another one at Lasik MD Kitchener. Decided to have my surgery at Lasik MD (Kitchener), which took place on October 24th. I had Dr. Hakim as my surgeon. Before surgery, my prescription was -1.50 in my left eye and -1.75 in my right eye (low, but still needed glasses to drive). Went for keratome + custom wavefront lasik.

October 25th checkup, I was told I have 20/20 vision.
November 6th checkup, was told I have 20/20 vision in each eye, and together I had 20/15 vision.
Next checkup is November 27th.
My eyes recovered very quickly (was driving and doing regular activities by the 26th). Halos and starbursts at night are no worse than what they were before surgery; I made it a point to look for them at night prior to surgery so that I would be able to compare post-surgery. My eyes do get a little dry once in a while, but lubricating eye drops fixes that. But then again, I've always had problems with dry eyes (which is why I hated wearing contact lenses). I expect this will get better as my healing progresses.

Cost was $3840 for both eyes (including the prescription eye drops). Was refunded on November 6th for $150 because I am a ManuLife benefits plan member and brought in my card for proof.

EVERYONE at the clinic has been nothing but professional and very patient with answering all of my questions. I've been treated super well and am very happy with the overall experience.

Let me know if anyone has specific questions.
Oct 23, 2013
9 posts
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
Hi
Anyone heard about lepto lasik, I heard that it creates much thinner flap (60-70 microns) compare to 100 microns, this way doctors can get extra thickness for correcting higher prescription with even less than average corneas... also less halo problems with that, Is this true?
Oct 23, 2013
9 posts
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
Which one is a better excimer laser Schwind Amaris 750 S or Wavelight Ex-500 ?
Nov 16, 2013
1 posts
Vancouver
Had my PRK done yesterday at Coal Harbour Eye Centre. Happy, happy , happy!

Had -5.5 right eye, -4.75 left eye. 31 years old. Total cost $1690. No pain at all during the surgery and no pain after. I have discomfort only. I can describe my eyes feeling like I had fallen asleep with contact lenses on and they are dry and uncomfortable now. Some moments I don't have any discomfort.

My vision is a bit blurry at the moment but I can see much better than before. I am able to watch TV, use my phone, go to store all of it without any glasses.

The best thing was when I opened my eyes right after the surgery looked around and understood I could see the time on wall clock. Before the surgery I could barely see if there was a clock or not.

Asking myself why I didn't do it earlier on my life. Must say that I went to two clinics before deciding: pacific eye and coal Harbour. After reading a lot of reviews and doctors biographies chose Coal Harbour due to lower cost. Pacific Eye quoted me $3100 + the cost of 5 follow up appointment with my own optometrist. I am sure doctors at both clinics are fantastic! Both clinics provided me with excellent customer service during my initial free consultation. I was candidate for either LASIK or PRK but both clinics recommended PRK due to higher prescription in my case.
Oct 23, 2013
9 posts
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
yaskshelat wrote: Which one is a better excimer laser Schwind Amaris 750 S or Wavelight Ex-500 ?
anyone has answer to my questions?
thanks
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2005
6076 posts
1572 upvotes
yaskshelat wrote: Hi
Anyone heard about lepto lasik, I heard that it creates much thinner flap (60-70 microns) compare to 100 microns, this way doctors can get extra thickness for correcting higher prescription with even less than average corneas... also less halo problems with that, Is this true?
Lepto lasik seems to be a thinner flap made with a special microkeratome. That technology has been surpassed by the femtosecond laser that can create a 3D customized flap instead of a flat flap.
yaskshelat wrote: Which one is a better excimer laser Schwind Amaris 750 S or Wavelight Ex-500 ?
I think you're stuck on equipment. I wouldn't worry about it. Choose your provider based on the surgeon.

I paid $4700 for custom wavefront intralase based on the experience of my surgeon. His father is a renowned instructor and he himself is a lecturer. Rather than operating a volume drive-thru lasik clinic ;) ;) , he spends a lot of his time teaching. It should be fairly obvious that surgeries pay far more than teaching. To me, that's extremely important. Choose the man, not the machine.

In the world of optics, Zeiss and B&L are far more recognized name than Schwind or Wavelight.

http://www.eyeqlaser.com/technology/
⬆⬆⬇⬇⬅➡⬅➡BA

「上上下下左右左右BA」
Oct 23, 2013
9 posts
Dollard-Des-Ormeaux
rf134a wrote: Lepto lasik seems to be a thinner flap made with a special microkeratome. That technology has been surpassed by the femtosecond laser that can create a 3D customized flap instead of a flat flap.

I think you're stuck on equipment. I wouldn't worry about it. Choose your provider based on the surgeon.

I paid $4700 for custom wavefront intralase based on the experience of my surgeon. His father is a renowned instructor and he himself is a lecturer. Rather than operating a volume drive-thru lasik clinic ;) ;) , he spends a lot of his time teaching. It should be fairly obvious that surgeries pay far more than teaching. To me, that's extremely important. Choose the man, not the machine.

In the world of optics, Zeiss and B&L are far more recognized name than Schwind or Wavelight.

http://www.eyeqlaser.com/technology/

hi
even the best surgeons in the past were sometimes failed to give good outputs due to the limitations of a excimer laser such as small treatment zone, so i feel both surgeons and excimer laser technology are important for better outputs.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2008
6122 posts
989 upvotes
Fort Saskatchewan
trinity wrote: I did custom wavefront lasik at Lasik MD North York, 7 years ago. Best decision I ever made. Had prescription of -5.75.
Fast forward to today, I have regressed and now have -1.00 in left eye and -1.25 in right eye. I am booked to do an enhancement in 3 weeks with the same surgeon.

Just wondering if anyone has had an enhancement done? Please share your experience.

Thanks.
Ive regressed a bit in two years, but I was -7.25 in one eye and -7.50 in another (if memory serves) so all things considered I still see pretty good, and Im in my mid 30's so its not like Im a young pup. Im sad to feel my sight slipping again though.
˙dlǝɥ ɹoɟ ǝɯ WԀ oʇ ǝɯoɔlǝʍ lǝǝℲ ˙spɹolɹǝʌO pℲɹ ʎɯ ɟo ǝɔᴉʌɹǝs uᴉ ƃuᴉʇɐɹǝpoW ʎlᴉddɐH
Feb 18, 2006
197 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
vorthex wrote: Ok so I really need laser eye surgery and I'm considering flying out to vancouver for this. Are there any other discounts I can apply to the base price of $1499, I thought I saw someone say something about %10 off
did you end up flying
im thinking about the same thing but there are post surgery check ups, what happens then
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2004
2220 posts
209 upvotes
Vancouver
ezbzq wrote: did you end up flying
im thinking about the same thing but there are post surgery check ups, what happens then
There's post op check up the next day and one week after (removal of protective contact lens). I'm assuming that since you'll only be here for a week or two, you'll likely need to do the other eye checkups back home. I'm pretty sure that you'll need to pay out of pocket for those, but the fact that you're saving more money doing it this way should still make it a good option.
Feb 18, 2006
197 posts
73 upvotes
Toronto
anyone tried using venngo and student discount at bochner together
Banned
Jun 5, 2013
42 posts
2 upvotes
Toronto
I'm from Toronto. Went and had a consult at LasikMD in August. Mild prescription 2.5 and 2.0, with astigmatism. Thicker than normal corneas. I was quoted $4300 for Advanced Custom Wavefront Lasik, including lifetime guarantee (although I need to go to them once every two years for a checkup... more on that below)

I called Coal Harbour in Vancouver (I'm from BC originally) and was quoted $1990 for the exact same procedure, with lifetime guarantee, no need to see them for bi-annual checkups.

I gave it some thought and realized that it's not fair for me to add on the $120 every two years checkup to the cost of going with Lasik MD. Going to see an optometrist every two years is something I should be doing anyways, especially as I age, and I'll have to pay a small fee wherever I go.

I called Lasik MD in Vancouver and their price for the same procedure is about $2200, and they'll price match Coal Harbour if I bring in my quote from them. So $1990 with Lasik MD, and I get to come back to Toronto and have any follow ups and any guaranteed surgeries performed here in Toronto.

Cost of flight to Vancouver and back: $790.
Cost of surgery: $1990.
Cost of hotels: $0. I have friends and family

Total: $2780.00

Even with hotels, I'd be saving more than $1,000, and I'll get a chance to see the mountains, oceans, and oh yeah, mum.

It's a no-brainer. Vancouver is the cheapest market in Canada for Lasik, and people fly in from all over. Ontario is one of the most expensive. Same treatment, more than double the cost.

I'm going in a week and half. I'm a suitable candidate for both Lasik and PRK. I'm considering PRK and its longer recovery because of the lower chance of dry eyes. I don't currently suffer from dry eyes, but as a motorcycle rider, I've had bouts of it, and I don't like it. However, I found this article which makes me question the popular consensus of dry eyes: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/ ... 5V20120829

I think I'll talk to the doctor and figure out what is best.

I'll keep you posted
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2004
2220 posts
209 upvotes
Vancouver
monstercat wrote: I'm going in a week and half. I'm a suitable candidate for both Lasik and PRK. I'm considering PRK and its longer recovery because of the lower chance of dry eyes. I don't currently suffer from dry eyes, but as a motorcycle rider, I've had bouts of it, and I don't like it. However, I found this article which makes me question the popular consensus of dry eyes: http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/08/ ... 5V20120829
I went with PRK because I do boxing and kickboxing. You shouldn't do Lasik if you participate in anything that involves contact, because the force of your body getting hit could loosen the flap and open it up.

As a person that did PRK a few months ago, I can tell you that the recovery process wasn't so bad in terms of pain, but the overall frustration of having blurry vision REALLY pissed me off. My eyes got significantly better after a month, though. Now I'm happy with it because the structural integrity of my eyes are basically back to 'normal'
Deal Addict
Oct 9, 2003
3299 posts
774 upvotes
Vancouver
Had 3-month check up today after PRK at coal harbour. Pretty much seeing 20/20 but just not quite 'hd' quality yet with the finer details. The optometrist agreed that there's still room for improvement. Right now I'm seeing how I was with contacts on previously. Hoping I'll be noticing improvements in the next few months.