Careers

[Merged] Need help choosing a business major for college!

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 5th, 2012 11:48 pm
[OP]
May 25, 2012
17 posts
Toronto

[Merged] Need help choosing a business major for college!

Hey,

i need help choosing a business major, I'm currently attending sheridan college, looking forward to continue my education onwards to university. HR is the first one off my list. Its either Marketing or Accounting or Fiance. To be honest i really don't know which one to choose. I would enjoy careers in any. But in terms of job security, flexibility good working hours, to also enjoy life outside of work. I don't want a job that would have lots of stress. My mind is all over the place. I'm really clueless for which one to choose. And also i don't want to choose one then regret of not choosing the other. i was also thinking about after achieving a good gpa and my degree, what options would be available in law school for the three. What job has a better opportunity to grow, and salary wise, i know one should not choose a career based on money but instead of what you like. to be honest i don't really know which one i like. sometimes accounting intimidates me. but what isn't hard in life. i need HELP. Can anyone share their thoughts or experiences.

please help me asap..

thanks for viewing....

i really appreciate it......
16 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3634 posts
60 upvotes
All are fine for Law School. I would take all of them at the intro level and switch after I knew which was the best. It's too much of a personal preference to tell you which one.
[OP]
May 25, 2012
17 posts
Toronto
i have taken all 3 in my first year. Am going off to my second. for that reason i need to decide to which one to major in.
May 29, 2012
743 posts
40 upvotes
MAPLE RIDGE
Accounting would provide the best job opportunities. It's one of the largest employment sectors in Canada.
UBC Year 3 BA Student: Major in Mathematics
Unrealistic dream :cry: : Law school...
Goal: Pursue a MA in Economics and a designation- CFA maybe?
Vancouver is nice if you have money and like the rain...
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2011
1944 posts
332 upvotes
GTA
john360 wrote: Hey,

i need help choosing a business major, I'm currently attending sheridan college, looking forward to continue my education onwards to university. HR is the first one off my list. Its either Marketing or Accounting or Fiance. To be honest i really don't know which one to choose. I would enjoy careers in any. But in terms of job security, flexibility good working hours, to also enjoy life outside of work. I don't want a job that would have lots of stress. My mind is all over the place. I'm really clueless for which one to choose. And also i don't want to choose one then regret of not choosing the other. i was also thinking about after achieving a good gpa and my degree, what options would be available in law school for the three. What job has a better opportunity to grow, and salary wise, i know one should not choose a career based on money but instead of what you like. to be honest i don't really know which one i like. sometimes accounting intimidates me. but what isn't hard in life. i need HELP. Can anyone share their thoughts or experiences.

please help me asap..

thanks for viewing....

i really appreciate it......
If accounting doesnt interest you or you find difficulty grasping the textbook concepts, i would cross that off your list. Accounting at the university level is not a joke. Finance is also close to accounting, but not as complex. Its really difficult for us to recommend you a major as we do not know your grades in each one of those specific intro-level courses. Take it and then decide based on your grades and comfort level . I would say accounting and finance is probably the best to major in.
[OP]
May 25, 2012
17 posts
Toronto
Hey Guys,

i need help choosing a business major, i attend Sheridan college. i'm considering either accounting, marketing or finance. i have taken all 3 of the them in my first year. but i'm lost in terms of choosing a major. Finance wasn't that bad. but i don't know what type of careers it has to offer, and are there jobs available after graduation. Accounting was ok but a little boring. Marketing was a alot easier, and fun. But again with the majors that i have listed i need help with what kind of careers each of them offer and how the salaries are. And job availability. i know accounting offers alot of jobs, but the material isnt to exciting lol, i dont want a job that makes me sit on a chair for long hours and punching in numbers. But again it does offer lots of jobs. also once i have completed any of the majors listed above, after i want to attend university.

let me know guys i need help asap, before theres no seats available.

thanks

also your more than welcome to list off your experience with the majors above and how the jobs are.

p.s am so lost. lol
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2012
1266 posts
31 upvotes
Mississauga
I can't really tell you which major is the best. But I can definetely tell you that I graduated from Sheridan college business administration accounting coop 3 years and got jobs in all 3 coop terms and got a job immediately after graduation.

Yes accounting sometimes is extremely boring and stressful but I guess Ill have to stick with it since I have a stable job.
Aug 18, 2012
34 posts
3 upvotes
It's up to you, no one can make this career choice for you. I have a Uni BCom. Finance & Marketing majors (took 4.5 years to complete, so I went over 4 year target a little). I thought accounting was repetitive and boring. Finance is tricky, as it's a lot of memorizing theory based stuff then learning how to apply it, such as CAPM, Deritivatives etc.

I know a lot of the great finance jobs are extremely competitive. For example, a friend of mine - Princeton BA, Economics grad had to compete with 24 other applicants for his current finance job. 22 of the 24 had law degree's as well. This company is not one of the major big league financial institutions either, so you can imagine how competitive some of those jobs can be.

This being said, WHEN I was deciding, I had the same thought process as you - Marketing is fun, and finance wasn't that bad. Now I'm not sure at the college level, but for University, finance got a LOT tougher than I thought. I know some of my classes had crazy amounts of dropouts and failures (even after a bell curve). However, it depends how your mind works, but I'll be straight forward and say some of the only classes I studied for and continuously went to class were my finance ones.

Finance is a solid background, I apply it all the time. It helped me land an internship with a renowned sport agent. Without this background I wouldn't have been able to learn how to statistically analyze and break down data in an efficient matter. Furthermore, when I finished school, I didn't know where to go or what to do, so I talked someone into selling their property on their behalf. My finance background really helped me how to analyze the surrounding market (sold it for over 3x's what two previous real estate agents recommended).

I didn't want to become an international investment banker, or any kind of IB or bank employee just due to the way my mind works and how social of a person I am. However, some people love this career, it's extremely competitive, but if you're good at it there is money to be made.

Now as for marketing. Great field, however there is a TON of marketing grads, who know nothing about marketing (no experience, just theory). You can take all the classes you want about personal selling, or "sport marketing", but at the end of the day, every company is different, every experience is different and marketing is an extremely tough field to enter if you plan to work for one of the top 10 marketing agencies in Canada. I assume I have a rounded background, and even I couldn't pull off an interview (I think they want people with experience under their belt and a proven track record).

A lot of this depends on the program itself and the network it has within each industry. If your COOP program offer's great opportunities with IB, or the finance industry in general, then definitely try and take advantage of that. However, if your COOP has connections with XYZ big marketing firm that offers X number of entry level jobs/year..go that direction. Basically exploit your college's opportunities.

Life is about networking. There are people who are great at marketing with no formal background. However, they know their field, they know their industry and they know a few people. Every company needs marketing, so marketing is an industry that will NEVER die and only continue to grow with the economy. That being said, during tough times, marketing is often one of the first areas to be cut.

No one here can answer your question about the careers available because it's what you make of the opportunities put in front of you (the contacts your program's COOP has). I have a Finance & Marketing background and right now am competing for a Sales position (although I won't be personally selling anything, just assisting the team to sell a multi-million $ product), but still, what does Sales have to do with Finance and Marketing?...a lot more than you'd think, who would've thunk.
john360 wrote: Hey Guys,

i need help choosing a business major, i attend Sheridan college. i'm considering either accounting, marketing or finance. i have taken all 3 of the them in my first year. but i'm lost in terms of choosing a major. Finance wasn't that bad. but i don't know what type of careers it has to offer, and are there jobs available after graduation. Accounting was ok but a little boring. Marketing was a alot easier, and fun. But again with the majors that i have listed i need help with what kind of careers each of them offer and how the salaries are. And job availability. i know accounting offers alot of jobs, but the material isnt to exciting lol, i dont want a job that makes me sit on a chair for long hours and punching in numbers. But again it does offer lots of jobs. also once i have completed any of the majors listed above, after i want to attend university.

let me know guys i need help asap, before theres no seats available.

thanks

also your more than welcome to list off your experience with the majors above and how the jobs are.

p.s am so lost. lol
[OP]
May 25, 2012
17 posts
Toronto
TheBigShow wrote: It's up to you, no one can make this career choice for you. I have a Uni BCom. Finance & Marketing majors (took 4.5 years to complete, so I went over 4 year target a little). I thought accounting was repetitive and boring. Finance is tricky, as it's a lot of memorizing theory based stuff then learning how to apply it, such as CAPM, Deritivatives etc.

I know a lot of the great finance jobs are extremely competitive. For example, a friend of mine - Princeton BA, Economics grad had to compete with 24 other applicants for his current finance job. 22 of the 24 had law degree's as well. This company is not one of the major big league financial institutions either, so you can imagine how competitive some of those jobs can be.

This being said, WHEN I was deciding, I had the same thought process as you - Marketing is fun, and finance wasn't that bad. Now I'm not sure at the college level, but for University, finance got a LOT tougher than I thought. I know some of my classes had crazy amounts of dropouts and failures (even after a bell curve). However, it depends how your mind works, but I'll be straight forward and say some of the only classes I studied for and continuously went to class were my finance ones.

Finance is a solid background, I apply it all the time. It helped me land an internship with a renowned sport agent. Without this background I wouldn't have been able to learn how to statistically analyze and break down data in an efficient matter. Furthermore, when I finished school, I didn't know where to go or what to do, so I talked someone into selling their property on their behalf. My finance background really helped me how to analyze the surrounding market (sold it for over 3x's what two previous real estate agents recommended).

I didn't want to become an international investment banker, or any kind of IB or bank employee just due to the way my mind works and how social of a person I am. However, some people love this career, it's extremely competitive, but if you're good at it there is money to be made.

Now as for marketing. Great field, however there is a TON of marketing grads, who know nothing about marketing (no experience, just theory). You can take all the classes you want about personal selling, or "sport marketing", but at the end of the day, every company is different, every experience is different and marketing is an extremely tough field to enter if you plan to work for one of the top 10 marketing agencies in Canada. I assume I have a rounded background, and even I couldn't pull off an interview (I think they want people with experience under their belt and a proven track record).

A lot of this depends on the program itself and the network it has within each industry. If your COOP program offer's great opportunities with IB, or the finance industry in general, then definitely try and take advantage of that. However, if your COOP has connections with XYZ big marketing firm that offers X number of entry level jobs/year..go that direction. Basically exploit your college's opportunities.

Life is about networking. There are people who are great at marketing with no formal background. However, they know their field, they know their industry and they know a few people. Every company needs marketing, so marketing is an industry that will NEVER die and only continue to grow with the economy. That being said, during tough times, marketing is often one of the first areas to be cut.

No one here can answer your question about the careers available because it's what you make of the opportunities put in front of you (the contacts your program's COOP has). I have a Finance & Marketing background and right now am competing for a Sales position (although I won't be personally selling anything, just assisting the team to sell a multi-million $ product), but still, what does Sales have to do with Finance and Marketing?...a lot more than you'd think, who would've thunk.

thanks for your reply THEBIGSHOW, you sure opened my eyes. but had a question after say majoring in finance or marketing, or even both like in your case. what are the options in law school. perhaps cooperate lawyer. Law has also interested me. i will PM you, if i have any other questions, that's if you don't mind.

thanks
Jul 22, 2012
535 posts
104 upvotes
I think TheBigShow gives good food for thought.

It would really be worthwhile to speak to a career advisor at your school if that's a possibility.

You also need to do your own research. www.vault.com is a great resource for career information. I recommend you browse the "Professions" tab and read the articles under there to get an idea of what the career possibilities are.
[OP]
May 25, 2012
17 posts
Toronto
hi,

i attend Sheridan college here in the gta. in between of choosing a business major. wanted to know the job/ career opportunities after a fiance degree. and how the salaries vary. same thing with marketing. how are marketing grads finding jobs these days. what careers does it have to offer. and salaries. i know one should follow their passion. but after reading many forums, listing marketing as a unworthy degree because of jobs. What about jobs in finance, is competition quite fierce in this field. accounting has a big job sector, but it's not to exciting, it might change later on in uni, in terms of content, but so far it's quite boring. but there's many jobs available. again am very lost. what careers does finance and marketing have to offer and hows the job market for each. correct me wrong about accounting.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2010
1856 posts
567 upvotes
Depending on the type of Marketing you end up in, you will be used and exploited hard as a junior. If you have enough 'passion and desire' (according to senior managment) you'll put up with abuse of labour laws and low pay to eventually and hopefully get ahead (this is purely based on numerous factors: luck, favoritism, how blonde you are, how much a$$ you kiss etc.)

So unless you plan on getting a lot of coop experience while in school and perhaps applying for your Masters and working at a big firm such as Kraft or P&G then you're most likely to end up in a small to medium sized agency not making a lot while working long hours with the expectation that it will become a lifestyle.
[OP]
May 25, 2012
17 posts
Toronto
hi,

i have posted some threads to help me pick a major. but am still lost. i have talked to my career adviser in school but she has little knowledge about business careers and the job market. i attend Sheridan college. Accounting i took the first year. Was kind of boring, but i know that jobs are stable around this field and how CA,CMA,CGA make big bucks. How is the job market in finance and marketing and the different types of careers they have to offer. Finance my parents think there's not lot of potential, only jobs in backs such as a investment adviser. And i have been reading a lot of forums from the U.S and Canada. stating that marketing is probably the most difficult area to find a decent job. a lot of people say that new grads usually start in sales. can anyone give me a example of a job in sales. i have taken all 3, but cant seem to trace my interest. i dropped accounting 2. the material was boring, and i didn't have the motivation to continue onwards. not sure if it was the materiel or that the fact that i was not confident in myself because it was a little more harder than marketing. marketing i enjoyed, and also finance wasn't that bad also. the problem with me is that if i choose accounting i don't want hate my job, and with marketing and finance i don't want to unemployed. one of my goals are to go to university with any of these. to be honest sometimes i think business is not really for me. but i always believe that i have no other choose considering am 19 turning 20 towards the end of the year. i just want to be happy and have a good salary but a lot of these forums have been kind of leading me to accounting or finance because of the job security. I'm so lost, i cant fall a sleep at night knowing that i don't know what to do in life. i have already completed a year of business so I'm like why not just get that business diploma and start on something else new in September. but my age factor always scares me. am so lost. i just changed my major today from accounting to marketing. but i want to know if i'm doing the right thing. or am going towards the easier field and that i'm scared of harder work. also what are the options of law school in marketing. i'm also interested in law. and if i take marketing, can i double major in something like finance . after in university or no because i will be only majoring in marketing.

any advice would be greatly appreciated..

sorry i know its quite long, but do read it all please!!

thanks everyone!
Jul 22, 2012
535 posts
104 upvotes
This is the third thread you've started about the same topic. I don't want to be mean but you really need to get a grip, take some responsibility for yourself, and realize that you're not going to get all of life's problems answered on an internet message board. You are looking for easy answers but there are none. The reason you are not getting many responses to your multiple threads is that there is no quick fix that will guarantee you a great career. There are no guarantees to get a job easily in any field right now; no fixed path that you can just follow all the way until retirement.

You have to pick the major that you feel is your strongest suit, and create opportunities for yourself by doing independent research, networking your butt off, and getting as much experience as you can while you study.

If you are going to university after you complete sheridan then the major you pick now is not really that important anyway. It's more important that you do well academically and put in some time figuring out what you want.
[OP]
May 25, 2012
17 posts
Toronto
thunderchunky wrote: This is the third thread you've started about the same topic. I don't want to be mean but you really need to get a grip, take some responsibility for yourself, and realize that you're not going to get all of life's problems answered on an internet message board. You are looking for easy answers but there are none. The reason you are not getting many responses to your multiple threads is that there is no quick fix that will guarantee you a great career. There are no guarantees to get a job easily in any field right now; no fixed path that you can just follow all the way until retirement.

You have to pick the major that you feel is your strongest suit, and create opportunities for yourself by doing independent research, networking your butt off, and getting as much experience as you can while you study.

If you are going to university after you complete sheridan then the major you pick now is not really that important anyway. It's more important that you do well academically and put in some time figuring out what you want.
i apologize for my multiple threads, i am overlooking everything. great advice by both of you guys. thanks . I'll sort it out.