[Merged] NEXUS pass?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 8:44 am
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
19892 posts
4109 upvotes
9347934 downvotes
pepper3245 wrote: Family and I have been conditionally approved, next is the interview.

Do I book one timeslot and have the whole family show up (4 of us)?

I called the YVR office and ended up leaving a voicemail.
My GF and I booked sequential appointments. They interviewed us at the same time.
Jun 30, 2008
228 posts
8 upvotes
Burnaby
i6s1 wrote: My GF and I booked sequential appointments. They interviewed us at the same time.

thanks I'll do that.
Mar 8, 2006
380 posts
167 upvotes
Vancouver
Whole process was pretty straightfwd for me and my fam.

Did the application online, got the conditional approval within 2 days, made appointments at YVR, which was about 2 week wait for time slots of 4.

Could have done it at the border, without waiting the 2 weeks. But would have to stop in at YVR to do retina scan.

Did the interview, which is a formality, review docs and that's it.

Got cards within a week of the interview.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 22, 2004
6461 posts
213 upvotes
dhype55 wrote: Whole process was pretty straightfwd for me and my fam.

Did the application online, got the conditional approval within 2 days, made appointments at YVR, which was about 2 week wait for time slots of 4.

Could have done it at the border, without waiting the 2 weeks. But would have to stop in at YVR to do retina scan.

Did the interview, which is a formality, review docs and that's it.

Got cards within a week of the interview.
Wow. It's not like a few years ago where you had to wait three or more months for an appointment.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 6, 2005
5785 posts
810 upvotes
Pavel wrote: Wow. It's not like a few years ago where you had to wait three or more months for an appointment.
I know and remember the Paper Application you had to mail in? It took me almost 3-4 months to get it all done.

They also consolidated the US/CAN offices at YVR, no more lining up twice. My interview took almost 3 hours because they were backed up on the CAN side and then I had to wait almost an hour again on the US side cause they too were backed up.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1975 posts
88 upvotes
Three-week long wait to get the interview. Took me all of 15 minutes for both sides at YYZ.
Feb 2, 2005
10 posts
fuc847 wrote: i know this sounds like a SILLY question but it might not be as silly as i think because say:

if one of my passengers in my car does NOT have a nexus pass but the driver and everyone else has it, can this one person get off the car , walk into the US customs to do processing and get back on the car on the other side?
Pavel wrote: The Border Agents really shun this. This opens up the possibility of secondary searches/inspections/questions and who knows what else. Besides, you're putting the driver of the Nexus Card Holder at risk too because one of the questions they'll be asking is why you're walking across the border.
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just wanted to let people know that this is COMPLETELY incorrect. Provided you aren't holding up the line, or causing a traffic accident, it is perfectly fine to drop non-Nexus holders off and let them walk across, then pick them up on the other side while you go through the nexus lane.
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
11091 posts
3503 upvotes
Vancouver
freakshow wrote: Sorry to bump an old thread, but I just wanted to let people know that this is COMPLETELY incorrect. Provided you aren't holding up the line, or causing a traffic accident, it is perfectly fine to drop non-Nexus holders off and let them walk across, then pick them up on the other side while you go through the nexus lane.
Not according to anyone with authority I've ever talked to. They all say I'm risking my Nexus pass.
Feb 2, 2005
10 posts
1226 wrote: Not according to anyone with authority I've ever talked to. They all say I'm risking my Nexus pass.
I know I only have a few posts on this site, so take from it what you will, but my sister has been with the CBSA for going on 6+ years. She's worked everything from land border to marine customs to in-office work. I just called her to ask about the policy, and she told me that it's not only totally legal with regards to the Nexus regulations, but that she doesn't know of people that frown upon it either.
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
11091 posts
3503 upvotes
Vancouver
freakshow wrote: I know I only have a few posts on this site, so take from it what you will, but my sister has been with the CBSA for going on 6+ years. She's worked everything from land border to marine customs to in-office work. I just called her to ask about the policy, and she told me that it's not only totally legal with regards to the Nexus regulations, but that she doesn't know of people that frown upon it either.
I remember being told when I got my Nexus pass that you were risking your pass if you did it (but it wasn't a written rule). I wish they would just come out with a clear cut rule on it. I don't want to mess around with my Nexus pass.
Feb 2, 2005
10 posts
yeah, that'd be nice. And if you do happen to lose it, it's pretty much over for you.. you'll never get another one.
Well, I'll get my sister to ask a few more people at work today since I planned on going down to the states with a non-nexus holder friend of mine this week. I'll report back.. hopefully I'll still have my pass...
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2004
2774 posts
55 upvotes
The Canadian side might not care about it, but the US side do like ppl doing this. If they see you they will give you a hard time.

If you have the Nexus pass it's better not to do anything to piss off the guards.
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2009
2931 posts
629 upvotes
Mississauga
American border guard gave me crap for going through the Nexus lane without a pass. At least now I know what it is.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2007
1975 posts
88 upvotes
Why not just drive through the other lanes? Your friend still needs to walk over the bridge and pass customs, and you still need to wait for this friend on the other side, so why go through the delays?
Oct 20, 2004
30 posts
2 upvotes
1226 wrote: I remember being told when I got my Nexus pass that you were risking your pass if you did it (but it wasn't a written rule). I wish they would just come out with a clear cut rule on it. I don't want to mess around with my Nexus pass.
When I got my pass I was told that they no longer allow you to drop off passengers to walk across, and that you risk losing your card if you do it.
I asked one of the officers when crossing and he said it is OK, they just do not like to encourage it.
What I know for a fact is that if you drop off someone they have to take all their luggage with them. I dropped of a friend and when she crossed they questioned her to no end, she said she left a small bag in my car and they told her that I should Know better, that it is Illegal to cross someone else's stuff without the person being there and that I could lose my card for that.
I think it all depends on who you get.
Better to do the line unless it is terribly long.
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2004
2774 posts
55 upvotes
Lazy Susan wrote: American border guard gave me crap for going through the Nexus lane without a pass. At least now I know what it is.
You are lucky, some of them make you go to the back of the line at the regular lanes. There's a reason the lights flash yellow.
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
11091 posts
3503 upvotes
Vancouver
mr_toast wrote: Why not just drive through the other lanes? Your friend still needs to walk over the bridge and pass customs, and you still need to wait for this friend on the other side, so why go through the delays?
Because the walk through line might be 15 minutes and the regular lanes 2 hours? That's pretty routine on a summer weekend out west. I don't know how it works on a bridge though.
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
11091 posts
3503 upvotes
Vancouver
deal-lover wrote: When I got my pass I was told that they no longer allow you to drop off passengers to walk across, and that you risk losing your card if you do it.
I asked one of the officers when crossing and he said it is OK, they just do not like to encourage it.
What I know for a fact is that if you drop off someone they have to take all their luggage with them. I dropped of a friend and when she crossed they questioned her to no end, she said she left a small bag in my car and they told her that I should Know better, that it is Illegal to cross someone else's stuff without the person being there and that I could lose my card for that.
I think it all depends on who you get.
Better to do the line unless it is terribly long.
With my luck I'd get the jag-off who wants to take away my Nexus pass. Luckily the wife and kids have passes now too so it doesn't come up very often.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2003
15540 posts
981 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Just a reminder for those whose email addy isn't up to date with Nexus. This is the 2nd time now I've gotten this email...

[QUOTE]CBP reminds members of the NEXUS and Free and Secure Trade (FAST) Trusted Traveler Programs that they may now use their NEXUS and FAST cards as proof of identification and citizenship at all lanes of all land border ports of entry and seaports (not just the NEXUS/FAST dedicated lanes) when entering the U.S. from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda.
[/QUOTE]

I've done this all along and was told at the time it was issued that it wasn't a problem. :confused: I guess it's just "official" now.
Thinking seriously about the 4 S's...Sun, Sand, Surf and ... Booked for Sept in Mexico and booked Samana DR for Jan!
Deal Guru
Dec 25, 2003
11091 posts
3503 upvotes
Vancouver
CSK'sMom wrote: Just a reminder for those whose email addy isn't up to date with Nexus. This is the 2nd time now I've gotten this email...

I've done this all along and was told at the time it was issued that it wasn't a problem. :confused: I guess it's just "official" now.
I almost always got hassled on the way back. Glad it's official now (worked fine a couple weeks ago).