[Merged] NEXUS pass?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 28th, 2024 2:51 pm
May 23, 2008
979 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
Dealmaker1945 wrote: Got this from the Canadian Govt Site"

"As an added benefit, when travelling on domestic, U.S.-bound, and select international flights, NEXUS members can be expedited through Canadian Air Transport Security Authority (CATSA) airport security screening lanes located at 16 Canadian airports. Members must present their valid NEXUS card to access the Trusted Traveller CATSA Security Line.

I will be flying to LHR on British Airways later next week (from Pearson T3). How would I know if my flight qualifies me to use the Trusted Traveller security lanes?
Pearson 3 has a nexus line for departing international flights, but all it does is take you past the lineup - you still go through regular security. Just look for the small nexus sign. Saves you some time.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2965 posts
2633 upvotes
GTA West
Avignon wrote: Pearson 3 has a nexus line for departing international flights, but all it does is take you past the lineup - you still go through regular security. Just look for the small nexus sign. Saves you some time.
Thanks - this looks like the right answer. And then when we return, I assume we will be able to use the Nexus kiosks to get through.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2965 posts
2633 upvotes
GTA West
Avignon wrote: Pearson 3 has a nexus line for departing international flights, but all it does is take you past the lineup - you still go through regular security. Just look for the small nexus sign. Saves you some time.
Thanks - this looks like the right answer. And then when we return, I assume we will be able to use the self-serve Nexus kiosks.
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2003
11537 posts
1041 upvotes
Ottawa
Pete_Coach wrote: Nexus and Trusted traveler are for US only.
https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/trusted-travellers
Unless something changed recently, all major Canadian airports have always had Nexus lanes for domestic, transborder, and international entrances...

I know YYZ, YVR, YOW, etc., have for over 8 years now.

It's always been badly implemented though, with no special privileges (it's not pre-check), and they usually shunt people from the normal lines over when it's not busy. I used to skip the YYZ domestic Nexus lanes occasionally, knowing it actually tended to be slower.
- Absolute
May 23, 2008
979 posts
459 upvotes
Toronto
Dealmaker1945 wrote: Thanks - this looks like the right answer. And then when we return, I assume we will be able to use the self-serve Nexus kiosks.
Yes - I always do, flying KLM or Transat from AMS into Terminal 3 YYZ.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36997 posts
11419 upvotes
Ottawa
Absolute wrote: Unless something changed recently, all major Canadian airports have always had Nexus lanes for domestic, transborder, and international entrances...

It's always been badly implemented though, with no special privileges (it's not pre-check), and they usually shunt people from the normal lines over when it's not busy. I used to skip the YYZ domestic Nexus lanes occasionally, knowing it actually tended to be slower.
Point is that Nexus and Trusted Traveler are for Canadians to and from the US. Yes, you can use the lane to get through security but they have no value for the UK.
I have seen the normal security lines move faster than the nexus line so I don't always use it.
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.”
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19736 posts
28625 upvotes
Vancouver
Pete_Coach wrote: Point is that Nexus and Trusted Traveler are for Canadians to and from the US.
And for returning to Canada from any country. I used NEXUS coming home from Europe the past several times and never had to take my passport out.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2004
5302 posts
2996 upvotes
Durham Region
This part of the email from NEXUS concerns me:

"It is also important to note that declarations will not be completed at the new kiosks. If you have something to declare you must do so verbally, to an officer, at a clearly marked area in the customs hall after using the kiosk. For more information on a traveller’s duty to declare, please visit the CBSA I Declare webpage."

Technically speaking, if you are carrying anything back in to the country of any value you are supposed to make a declaration. If they ever decide to do a super strict interpretation of the rules it could get ugly.
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Pete_Coach wrote: Got the email too. The iris recognition was wonky and did not often work so something had to be done.
The issue I see is that facial recognition based on your passport photo may be tricky too as your face can change and often is not quite the same as your passport, especially with the 10 year passport.

Nexus and Trusted traveler are for US only.
https://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/en/trusted-travellers
Facial recognition is more accurate than you might think. Even Google photos uses it now to help categorize people in your photos. I was completely shocked to find out that it correctly identified my face in 25+ year old scanned photos from my little league baseball team, and grouped them with current pictures of my adult self!
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2965 posts
2633 upvotes
GTA West
CorSter wrote: This part of the email from NEXUS concerns me:

"It is also important to note that declarations will not be completed at the new kiosks. If you have something to declare you must do so verbally, to an officer, at a clearly marked area in the customs hall after using the kiosk. For more information on a traveller’s duty to declare, please visit the CBSA I Declare webpage."

Technically speaking, if you are carrying anything back in to the country of any value you are supposed to make a declaration. If they ever decide to do a super strict interpretation of the rules it could get ugly.
I'm not sure what your concern is? We always declare verbally when driving back from the US with Nexus. So doing it at the airport doesn't seem any different.
Sep 6, 2009
343 posts
120 upvotes
Regina
Dealmaker1945 wrote: I'm not sure what your concern is? We always declare verbally when driving back from the US with Nexus. So doing it at the airport doesn't seem any different.
I suspect his point is that right now you can declare that you are within your exemption, and probably leave without speaking to anyone, but in future, that will no longer be possible unless you are bringing nothing into Canada that wasn't with you when you left the country.
CAN banking: BMO; Cards: AmEx Gold, BMO AIR MILES World Elite MasterCard; Chase amazon.ca card (closed 2018/03; Chase left Canada)
US banking: Rocky Mountain Bank (MT); Cards: AmEx Premier Rewards Gold, AmEx Blue Cash Everyday, CapOne Platinum MasterCard
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2004
5302 posts
2996 upvotes
Durham Region
PhotoJim wrote: I suspect his point is that right now you can declare that you are within your exemption, and probably leave without speaking to anyone, but in future, that will no longer be possible unless you are bringing nothing into Canada that wasn't with you when you left the country.
Bingo. I have no issue with making a verbal declaration but this just seems like a way to catch a whole bunch of long time Nexus users off guard, especially if the designated booth is hidden somewhere in the baggage hall.

Especially since the normal non Nexus kiosks have no issue taking a declaration.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1804 posts
2845 upvotes
Canada, eh?
Jucius Maximus wrote: Facial recognition is more accurate than you might think. Even Google photos uses it now to help categorize people in your photos. I was completely shocked to find out that it correctly identified my face in 25+ year old scanned photos from my little league baseball team, and grouped them with current pictures of my adult self!
It's quite accurate. UK actually implemented facial rec. for pre-approved countries that issued epassports. I was skeptical before I arrived but holysmokes it was fast. Took probably 5 seconds tops the moment I put in my passport, and didn't even have to see a Border Force agent.
Mar 16, 2013
75 posts
23 upvotes
Calgary
Just updating this so people have an idea of the full timeline, at least the one I experienced.
CWillz wrote: August 21 - Submitted Application
October 17 - Received Conditional Approval w/ e-mail notification
October 18 - Interviewed in-person @ Calgary Airport
October 29 - Received NEXUS card via Canada Post and activated online
My significant other submitted her application on September 11 so we're hoping it follows a similar timeline..
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2018
1804 posts
2845 upvotes
Canada, eh?
Bunch of machines at YYZ not working again...either it's down, or it'll crash half way through iris authentication and say 'System Error'.
Hoping the new ones are a lot better.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2009
1026 posts
294 upvotes
Absolute wrote: Unless something changed recently, all major Canadian airports have always had Nexus lanes for domestic, transborder, and international entrances...

At YYZ Terminal 3 security I was able to take a non-Nexus friend to by pass the regular line. I stopped when the lines merged because I felt bad for budding anymore, but the agent waved us into a lane that was being used by wheelchair users.

At YTZ security there were 2 people in front of me (one was my friend). I guess I could have been a jerk, flashed the Nexus card, and budded both of them :-P
Deal Expert
Nov 2, 2003
17118 posts
3872 upvotes
GTA
4seasonscentre wrote: At YYZ Terminal 3 security I was able to take a non-Nexus friend to by pass the regular line. I stopped when the lines merged because I felt bad for budding anymore, but the agent waved us into a lane that was being used by wheelchair users.

At YTZ security there were 2 people in front of me (one was my friend). I guess I could have been a jerk, flashed the Nexus card, and budded both of them :-P
you are allowed to bring one friend with you to bypass the peasant line at security at the airport.
Banned
Apr 5, 2013
5810 posts
3019 upvotes
keenland
actng wrote: you are allowed to bring one friend with you to bypass the peasant line at security at the airport.
never heard this before..is this accurate?
Deal Addict
Mar 7, 2004
1829 posts
311 upvotes
Mississauga
cardguy wrote: never heard this before..is this accurate?
Never heard of this.
I am under the impression you can lose your card if you try.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 30, 2004
5302 posts
2996 upvotes
Durham Region
cardguy wrote: never heard this before..is this accurate?
This is accurate for CATSA Security Checkpoints at Canadian airports - you can bring anyone accompanying you on the same flight through the Trusted Travellers security line with you.

This does not apply to TSA checkpoints in the US where only people with Precheck on their boarding pass can use the lines, nor does it apply to CBSA or CBP checkpoints.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)