[Merged] NEXUS pass?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2020 4:39 pm
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35457 posts
9478 upvotes
Ottawa
Woo Hoo. Just got notification that my Nexus renewal has been approved and should get my new card soon.....in the mail LOL
Applied in November.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2002
1733 posts
539 upvotes
Toronto
For those returning internationally to Canada and using Nexus at the airport, are the kiosks still in use? Wonder how the additional quarantine questions are addressed when you don’t see an agent. If kiosks aren’t used, do they use dedicated lanes?
Celebrating 17+ years on RFD!
Apr 20, 2009
318 posts
66 upvotes
I just received the following email from the Ottawa TTP Enrollment Center cancelling my kids appointments for the third time. Will re-book again for this fall and hope for the best.
I'm not even mad anymore as I don't see any non-essential travel to the US til at least the new year.

[Trusted Traveler Program Applicant,
CBP Trusted Traveler Programs Enrollment Centers will remain closed until at least September 08, 2020. Ottawa Enrollment Center will remain closed at least until September 14, 2020. This temporary closure includes all public access to Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI, and FAST enrollment locations. Applicants are encouraged to monitor their e-mail and Trusted Traveler Programs account for additional information and/or updates. CBP will continue to monitor federal response guidelines in order to resume enrollment center operations as soon as possible. If you were scheduled for an interview up until September 14 at Ottawa your appointment has been cancelled and you will be able to log in to your account online and schedule once appointments do resume at an enrollment center. Thank you./b]
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
2447 posts
1225 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Pete_Coach wrote: Woo Hoo. Just got notification that my Nexus renewal has been approved and should get my new card soon.....in the mail LOL
Applied in November.
Just checked mine.
Still no progress.
This space for rent.
Feb 8, 2017
305 posts
207 upvotes
TheImp wrote: Just checked mine.
Still no progress.
How do you check? I renewed mine in April, paid the fee and haven't received any updates or confirmation.

Is there anything else required for renewal? Will they just mail a new card?
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
2447 posts
1225 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
sierravista wrote: How do you check? I renewed mine in April, paid the fee and haven't received any updates or confirmation.

ttp.dhs.gov
I don't know anything about renewals, I'm applying for the first time. I can't say I'm impressed.
This space for rent.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
2447 posts
1225 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Got my conditional approval

No appointments available whatsoever at Pearson. Booked one at Lansdowne because it was the earliest available.. but there's a good chance I might reschedule (hopefully a better option opens up).

BTW: my understanding is the pass is valid for 5 years.. and that is based on your birth date. Does that mean it's advantageous to get the card on or just after your birthday? Conversely, if you get it just before.. are you essentially "losing" a year?
This space for rent.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
8987 posts
10414 upvotes
Vancouver
TheImp wrote: BTW: my understanding is the pass is valid for 5 years.. and that is based on your birth date. Does that mean it's advantageous to get the card on or just after your birthday? Conversely, if you get it just before.. are you essentially "losing" a year?
You get five years past your next birthday. So if you get yours just after your birthday, then yes you get nearly six years of validity.
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35457 posts
9478 upvotes
Ottawa
sierravista wrote: How do you check? I renewed mine in April, paid the fee and haven't received any updates or confirmation.

You need to go on their website. https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-trav ... enew-nexus
Register if you have not. Then you can check the status.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
2447 posts
1225 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Kiraly wrote: You get five years past your next birthday. So if you get yours just after your birthday, then yes you get nearly six years of validity.
And when is that date measured? When you do the interview and are "approved"? Or when you physically receive the card (which.. my understand is can take 4 weeks after the interview)?
(This is RFD after all..)
This space for rent.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
8987 posts
10414 upvotes
Vancouver
It's from the date the card is issued. So after the interview, after you are finally approved, but before you have it in your hands. The date the physical card comes out of the manufacturing press is my guess. It doesn't matter a whole lot anyway. You are going to want to renew as early as possible, so 364 days before your next birthday. So you'll be renewing at the 5 year mark, so even if you get nearly an extra year of validity it's not really usable.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2006
2232 posts
2765 upvotes
Are Nexus cards machine-washable?

Mine may have gone for a spin (cycle) this weekend.
Deal Addict
Jun 11, 2016
1255 posts
1797 upvotes
Confused. How are you all be getting updates/scheduling appointments when their site states they are temporarily closed?
Oct 21, 2011
20 posts
11 upvotes
KravenHead wrote: Confused. How are you all be getting updates/scheduling appointments when their site states they are temporarily closed?
If it’s available to book, then book. If they decide to extend their closures then just rebook.
You have to keep checking multiple times a day. Appointments come and go all day long. Sometimes they release several weeks at a time. If it says next available appointment in 2021 then keep checking and eventually something would come up in your area for 2020.
Jun 2, 2009
113 posts
50 upvotes
Airdrie, AB
Pete_Coach wrote: Woo Hoo. Just got notification that my Nexus renewal has been approved and should get my new card soon.....in the mail LOL
Applied in November.
For a renewal? I renewed 3 weeks ago, got approved the next day and received my new card 2 weeks later.