• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2020 4:39 pm
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35484 posts
9516 upvotes
Ottawa
efrant wrote: Sometimes there is.
Only if you have made major changes in your status. Then you are re-applying.
"Your membership in NEXUS is valid for five years. Please note that a streamlined renewal process is now in place. It is no longer necessary for the majority of renewing members who have not had changes to their information and have maintained their low-risk status to attend an interview".
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/ ... l-eng.html
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
2447 posts
1225 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
1226 wrote: Weird, my wife's appointment is Oct 3 and it's not cancelled yet.
XBox Series X available. PM for details.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
17450 posts
4296 upvotes
Toronto
Pete_Coach wrote: The NEXUS card expiration dates are extended as it says on their website.

There is no appointment required for renewal.
Really? They requested an appointment for renewal on mine...The expiration on their website states 1 year after it expires is what they extended it to.

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article- ... uage=en_US

Looks like its up to the officer to request an approval...I possibly just got "randomly" selected haha
Real Estate Agent, MAcc, CPA, CA
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35484 posts
9516 upvotes
Ottawa
deal_with_singh wrote: Really? They requested an appointment for renewal on mine...The expiration on their website states 1 year after it expires is what they extended it to.

https://help.cbp.gov/s/article/Article- ... uage=en_US

Looks like its up to the officer to request an approval...I possibly just got "randomly" selected haha
See post #2716.
The Government cannot give to anybody anything that the Government does not first take from somebody else.
Deal Addict
Jan 4, 2011
3215 posts
3858 upvotes
Montreal
Pete_Coach wrote: Only if you have made major changes in your status. Then you are re-applying.
"Your membership in NEXUS is valid for five years. Please note that a streamlined renewal process is now in place. It is no longer necessary for the majority of renewing members who have not had changes to their information and have maintained their low-risk status to attend an interview".
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/ ... l-eng.html
I guess we must be reading the same thing differently.

To me it reads this way (breaking it down for clarity):

1) those that have had changes to their information, or have not maintained their low-risk status will need an interview
2) the majority of people who have not had changes to their information and maintained their low risk status won't need an interview
3) some (i.e., those that don't fall into the majority in point #2 above) who have not had changes to their information and maintained their low risk status may need an interview
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
35484 posts
9516 upvotes
Ottawa
efrant wrote: I guess we must be reading the same thing differently.

1) those that have had changes to their information, or have not maintained their low-risk status will need an interview
2) the majority of people who have not had changes to their information and maintained their low risk status won't need an interview
3) some (i.e., those that don't fall into the majority in point #2 above) who have not had changes to their information and maintained their low risk status may need an interview
Look, what was in question was the need for a interview. I gave a link. Read it as you wish.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
9449 posts
1627 upvotes
Vancouver
efrant wrote: I guess we must be reading the same thing differently.

All it says is at least 50%+1 of renewing people don't need an interview. Which still leaves the possibility that a ton of renewers will need one. I've had both scenarios happen to me, no changes to information at any point.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2009
17450 posts
4296 upvotes
Toronto
Yep no changes to my information and haven't had any issues ever entering either the US or Canada ever that would change my risk level....my passports still the same as at my last renewal and is valid till 2024 so not really sure where I fall lol.
Real Estate Agent, MAcc, CPA, CA
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1783 posts
345 upvotes
Just got email of cancelling my Oct 3 appointment (which I booked back in May) and now the next open interview spot is mid May 2021. Holy crap.
Apr 20, 2009
318 posts
67 upvotes
Just got this email from NEXUS. Maybe it will explain a few things.
Funny how this corresponds with todays news that all non-essential travel to the US has now been delayed until November???

Dear NEXUS Member,

The Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA) would like to provide you with a number of updates.

First, the CBSA would like to inform you that in response to the global pandemic of COVID-19, all NEXUS and FAST enrollment centres are temporarily closed.

As a result, all NEXUS and FAST interviews that were previously scheduled will be postponed. Applicants and existing members will need to reschedule interviews after the CBSA and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) resume joint enrollment operations. The date of re-opening is continually assessed in light of current travel restrictions and we invite you to visit the CBSA website for updates.

To reschedule your NEXUS or FAST interview appointment, please log into your online Trusted Traveler Programs (TTP) System account. NEXUS and FAST members who submitted an application for membership renewal prior to the expiry date on the card will maintain their membership for 18 months beyond the expiry date.

Second, the Vancouver Urban Enrollment Centre for NEXUS and FAST interviews will not be re-opening to the public once COVID-19 restrictions are eased. Interviews may be scheduled at any of the other enrollment centres after they re-open, including at the nearby Vancouver International Airport or in Birch Bay, Washington.

Finally, as part of Canada’s efforts to reduce the spread of COVID-19, all travellers – including those on exempt travel – are required to provide specific information upon entry into Canada. The recently launched ArriveCAN app enables you to submit your information up to 48 hours prior to your arrival. It reduces physical contact for a safer, faster border process. You can download it on your mobile device through the App Store or Google Play.

You are on exempt travel if you are entering Canada to provide: trade or transport services; essential services; cross-border services or medical services. If you have previously provided any of these services, but are now entering Canada for other reasons, you are not on exempt travel.

All travellers – excluding those on exempt travel – are required to isolate or quarantine for 14 days after entering Canada. At the border, you will need to provide details on where you will be quarantining. After crossing the border, you will need to check-in with the Public Health Agency of Canada about your symptoms, and confirm you are sticking with your quarantine plan. The ArriveCAN app will enable you to also submit this information.

Visit Current border measures and requirements for information about how COVID-19 is affecting travellers, border services, programs and business.

We sincerely apologize for the inconvenience and appreciate your patience through this process.

Sincerely,

Travellers Policy and Programs Directorate

Canada Border Services Agency

Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4724 posts
2054 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
I found something on another website that both Nexus and GE are going up to US$120, and SENTRI reduced $2.50 to $120 so everything is standardised. Not on the ttp.dhs.gov website but apparently the DHS has filed a notice in the U.S. Federal Register.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documen ... ograms-and
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 25, 2003
9449 posts
1627 upvotes
Vancouver
My December interviews are still intact
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2007
1375 posts
556 upvotes
thriftshopper wrote: I found something on another website that both Nexus and GE are going up to US$120, and SENTRI reduced $2.50 to $120 so everything is standardised. Not on the ttp.dhs.gov website but apparently the DHS has filed a notice in the U.S. Federal Register.

https://www.federalregister.gov/documen ... ograms-and
wow that's insane. considering most of us did not get a chance to use our nexus privileges since march and will not for the foreseeable future, not only are they not refunding/prorating some of that $50, they're jacking it up to more than double?

the US is truly a s**thole money grubbing country.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4724 posts
2054 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Clement wrote: wow that's insane. considering most of us did not get a chance to use our nexus privileges since march and will not for the foreseeable future, not only are they not refunding/prorating some of that $50, they're jacking it up to more than double?

the US is truly a s**thole money grubbing country.
It's just a notice of intent for now. DHS is seeking feedback and comments. Hopefully it'll be torpedoed early next year but who knows? If it goes badly the other way (in my scenario), we (who are sound of mind) wouldn't want to go there anyway.

They need the money (spending way beyond their means). Fortunately, I have another 3 or so years on mine and probably won't renew as it's so hard to get there for me (but I can see a particularly COVID-infested county from my house).
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Mar 12, 2015
196 posts
146 upvotes
North York, ON
doberman_baby wrote: Just got email of cancelling my Oct 3 appointment (which I booked back in May) and now the next open interview spot is mid May 2021. Holy crap.
Is your appointment at Pearson? I'm trying to book a new appointment near GTA but there are zero available in Pearson, Landsdowne, Ottawa, heck even Montreal. Only Niagara Falls is available with the earliest appointment sometime in Mar 2021.