Travel

[Merged] NEXUS pass?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2020 4:39 pm
Jul 16, 2019
462 posts
253 upvotes
traxton wrote: Is your appointment at Pearson? I'm trying to book a new appointment near GTA but there are zero available in Pearson, Landsdowne, Ottawa, heck even Montreal. Only Niagara Falls is available with the earliest appointment sometime in Mar 2021.
As per the email they sent out, all enrollment/interview centers are closed for the forseeable future. All existing Nexus cards will be extended for 18months past their expiry dates.
Are you applying for the first time or for renewal ?
Mar 12, 2015
196 posts
146 upvotes
North York, ON
vernonco wrote: As per the email they sent out, all enrollment/interview centers are closed for the forseeable future. All existing Nexus cards will be extended for 18months past their expiry dates.
Are you applying for the first time or for renewal ?
Applying for the first time. I'm not in any hurry to schedule an interview but I have till next month to book an appointment. I got my approval in Oct 2019 but was waiting for my spouse to get approval before we both booked the interviews and my spouse only got approved in May 2020, as a result my deadline to schedule one is Oct 2020. Obviously neither of us have any plans to visit US anytime soon, so we don't mind a mid-2021 interview. However, the only availability close to us is at Niagara Falls and I would rather not head there for the sole purpose of the interview. Pearson is the most ideal but we don't mind traveling east towards Montreal coz at least there's more to do there in conjecture with the interview. Is it possible to schedule an interview at Niagara Falls for now, then change it later on when the Pearson office opens?
Jul 16, 2019
462 posts
253 upvotes
traxton wrote: Applying for the first time. I'm not in any hurry to schedule an interview but I have till next month to book an appointment. I got my approval in Oct 2019 but was waiting for my spouse to get approval before we both booked the interviews and my spouse only got approved in May 2020, as a result my deadline to schedule one is Oct 2020. Obviously neither of us have any plans to visit US anytime soon, so we don't mind a mid-2021 interview. However, the only availability close to us is at Niagara Falls and I would rather not head there for the sole purpose of the interview. Pearson is the most ideal but we don't mind traveling east towards Montreal coz at least there's more to do there in conjecture with the interview. Is it possible to schedule an interview at Niagara Falls for now, then change it later on when the Pearson office opens?
We had done our interviews for the first time in Niagara Falls and the second time for renewal only one family member was called for a interview at Peason, others were approved for renewal without a interview.
At this point its a guessing game as to when the interview centers will be opened. I would pick Niagara Falls or Pearson for April timeframe with the hope that things will get better then. I believe so long as you book all family members on the same day, you can go in together for the interview at the earliest interview time. Pearson will have the longest backlog for interviews so I think Niagara may be easier. I do not believe you can change the interview from Niagara to Pearson, you will have to cancel and rebook. With all the centres closed for months the backlog for interviews is going to be crazy. I would not wait till Oct, book the interviews before they get filled just book it far enough out where there is a possibility of the centers reopening. Once they reopen the centers, every appointment for the next year is likely to be booked.
Last edited by vernonco on Sep 18th, 2020 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4588 posts
1998 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
You can schedule the interview pretty much anywhere you can get a spot.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
Mar 12, 2015
196 posts
146 upvotes
North York, ON
vernonco wrote: We had done our interviews for the first time in Niagara Falls and the second time for renewal only one family member was called for a interview at Peason, others were approved for renewal without a interview.
At this point its a guessing game as to when the interview centres will be opened. I would pick Niagara Falls or Pearson for April timeframe with the hope that things will get better then. I believe so long as you book all family members on the same day, you can go in together for the interview at the earliest interview time. Pearson will have the longest backlog for interviews so I think Niagara may be easier. I do not believe you can change the interview from Niagara to Pearson, you will have to cancel and rebook. With all the centres closed for months the backlog for interviews is going to be crazy.
Noted, if my deadline to schedule an interview is Oct 2020 though, can I still cancel and rebook at a later time when an appointment open up at Pearson?
Jul 16, 2019
462 posts
253 upvotes
traxton wrote: Noted, if my deadline to schedule an interview is Oct 2020 though, can I still cancel and rebook at a later time when an appointment open up at Pearson?
Someone can correct me if I am wrong but I believe once you have a appt booked, you can cancel and rebook. I believe they put a date to book an appt to ensure you are still interested and not withdrawing. Also the US has announced plans for doubling the fees which may or may not happen.
Nov 6, 2016
239 posts
145 upvotes
I'm confused. I have an interview booked in Vancouver YVR in early October, but haven't received any emails about it being cancelled or closed.

Should I assume it's closed?
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4588 posts
1998 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
alexh9 wrote: I'm confused. I have an interview booked in Vancouver YVR in early October, but haven't received any emails about it being cancelled or closed.
Could have gone into the spam folder?
Jun 30, 2008
226 posts
8 upvotes
Burnaby
Logged into my acct, still shows my Oct 25th appt is still on at YVR. Fingers crossed.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4588 posts
1998 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Looked at the FT thread and it would appear that cancellations occur a week in advance.
Sep 6, 2009
302 posts
82 upvotes
Regina
efrant wrote: Sometimes there is.
Yep. I've renewed twice. One required interviews; one did not.
CAN banking: BMO; Cards: AmEx Gold, BMO AIR MILES World Elite MasterCard; Chase amazon.ca card (closed 2018/03; Chase left Canada)
US banking: Rocky Mountain Bank (MT); Cards: AmEx Premier Rewards Gold, AmEx Blue Cash Everyday, CapOne Platinum MasterCard
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
3730 posts
1008 upvotes
I'm happy to renew online, but my wife needs to update personal information on file before renewing, which is impossible to do with the offices closed. So her Nexus will probably need to lapse and then reapply when everything reopens.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2012
3870 posts
3216 upvotes
Oakville, ON
CorSter wrote: I'm happy to renew online, but my wife needs to update personal information on file before renewing, which is impossible to do with the offices closed. So her Nexus will probably need to lapse and then reapply when everything reopens.
Why can’t the information update be done online via the renewal process?
Jun 30, 2008
226 posts
8 upvotes
Burnaby
pepper3245 wrote: Logged into my acct, still shows my Oct 25th appt is still on at YVR. Fingers crossed.
Got cancellation notice 3 weeks before interview. Next available dates in July 2021.