Automotive

[Merged] The OFFICIAL G1,G2 and G Licensing questions thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2022 4:57 pm
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2010
1031 posts
303 upvotes
sndeal wrote: how about parallel parking and reverse ? other stuff i am good.
You will definitely need to know how to parallel park during the test (make sure you don't get tricked into parallel parking near a fire hydrant!!). You should already know how to reverse park but during my G2 and G test, I was told to front park at the end of the test.
Sep 29, 2012
766 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
jpy wrote: You will definitely need to know how to parallel park during the test (make sure you don't get tricked into parallel parking near a fire hydrant!!). You should already know how to reverse park but during my G2 and G test, I was told to front park at the end of the test.
Thank you. I hv booked the exam. Where do I make the payment ? Or pay cash at the ministry?
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2010
1031 posts
303 upvotes
sndeal wrote: Thank you. I hv booked the exam. Where do I make the payment ? Or pay cash at the ministry?
I believe you have to pay online but I'm not 100% sure. I always went to do my test with a driving instructor so he took care of it all lol
Jul 21, 2012
16 posts
3 upvotes
North York
sndeal wrote: Thank you. I hv booked the exam. Where do I make the payment ? Or pay cash at the ministry?
I don't understand. When you book your Road Test on-line, prior to book the appointment, you have to pay (I did that with a Credit Card).
Sep 29, 2012
766 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
emman95 wrote: I don't understand. When you book your Road Test on-line, prior to book the appointment, you have to pay (I did that with a Credit Card).
If I remember correctly it didn't ask me for credit card number . So I don't know. What I will do is call them tomorrow morning to make sure I guess.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 15, 2011
5834 posts
1220 upvotes
aGincourt
When you got your G1 you already paid for your first G2 test
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22399 posts
3277 upvotes
sndeal wrote: Hey
i have g2 test on friday.

i have been driving alot and also on highway as well by myself . feeling confidante .. most of the time i do regular parking . i think i drive pretty good .

what should i know for g2 test?
Thank you
You do realize unless you have an instructor, the 400 series/QEW/DVP highways are prohibited. Further, you are not allowed to drive alone.
Sep 29, 2012
766 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
Kasakato wrote: You do realize unless you have an instructor, the 400 series/QEW/DVP highways are prohibited. Further, you are not allowed to drive alone.
i was driving with g licence driver.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22399 posts
3277 upvotes
sndeal wrote: i was driving with g licence driver.
Unless your dad I presume happens to be a driving instructor, you're still violating the G1 restrictions.

Again, like I said above, driving alone is prohibited in all circumstances.
Nov 18, 2014
2 posts
Toronto, ON
Hey I've got the exam g1 road test at port union in a week wanna know information like the route and for uphill Downhill parking it need to touch the curb right?

And what way u turn if no curb for uphill and downhill and do they ask u emergency parking or roadside stop and u signal the 4 way flashers before of after uve stopped near the curb.thanks and I need someone who did IT recently.
Jun 5, 2010
93 posts
Do you have to turn off your car and take out the keys when performing a roadside stop?

Also, when you are already in the lane to make a right or left turn do you still have to check your blindspots and mirrors while turning? This seems difficult given the fact that you already have to look out for pedestrians and oncoming traffic when making a left/right turn.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1463 posts
135 upvotes
huhjunn wrote: Do you have to turn off your car and take out the keys when performing a roadside stop?

Also, when you are already in the lane to make a right or left turn do you still have to check your blindspots and mirrors while turning? This seems difficult given the fact that you already have to look out for pedestrians and oncoming traffic when making a left/right turn.
No, keys stay in, car can stay on.

You always have to check your blind spot before making the turn, period. If you drive downtown you'll see why this is important (cyclists coming up on your right).
Buy/Sell/Trade with confidence, 50+ positive feedback.
Jun 5, 2010
93 posts
Thank you so much for the advice.

I was also wondering what hazards I should look out for when making left and right turns. Making turns seems to be my biggest weakness (so many hazards to look out for I freeze). I know for sure that during a left turn at a green stop light there are 3 hazards to consider: 1. Oncoming traffic 2. Pedestrians 3. People making right turns.

However, for right turns I am not as certain as to what hazards I should specifically look out for. This is especially the case since the hazards change depending on the street light signal (red vs green). If anyone can clarify this for me it would be greatly appreciated!
Nov 27, 2013
1 posts
1 upvote
Snow Road Station, O…
huhjunn wrote: Thank you so much for the advice.

I was also wondering what hazards I should look out for when making left and right turns. Making turns seems to be my biggest weakness (so many hazards to look out for I freeze). I know for sure that during a left turn at a green stop light there are 3 hazards to consider: 1. Oncoming traffic 2. Pedestrians 3. People making right turns.

However, for right turns I am not as certain as to what hazards I should specifically look out for. This is especially the case since the hazards change depending on the street light signal (red vs green). If anyone can clarify this for me it would be greatly appreciated!
Your right on with left hand turns Huhjunn, those are definitely major things to consider. As far as right hand turns go, make sure you: 1. use your turn signal - turn it on a fair bit before you reach the corner 2. Stay close to the right side of the road or curb while watching for bicycles and pedestrians 3. At the intersection make sure you look both ways - look left then right then left again (so you are double checking oncoming traffic) 4. If its clear, make your turn but don't take it wide. You want to make sure you are entering and staying in the right hand lane.
Jun 5, 2010
93 posts
My G test is coming up pretty soon so I apologize for asking so many questions.

Another concern I have is exactly when I should start speeding up when entering the highway. I know that some highways have ramps, but I am taking my test at st. catharines and the entrance to the QEW there is basically a straight road. I noticed that there is generally a solid yellow line when first entering any highway. Should I start speeding up once the solid yellow line turns to a solid white line, or should I start speeding up when the solid yellow line turns to a dotted white line?

Also, when there is a school zone walkway like this one: http://gotriangle.files.wordpress.com/2 ... school.jpg and it has no stop signs or anything, do I still have to stop for all pedestrians waiting to cross?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 14, 2006
9997 posts
1339 upvotes
For my test many years back I just sped up so by the time you reach part where you can merge, you're at 100km/h (or the posted highway speed limit).

I was wavering between 95-105 km/h during my test and the instructor dinged me for that. So anal, lol. (well, he probably looked at the speedometer at bad times)
Jun 5, 2010
93 posts
mcg wrote: For my test many years back I just sped up so by the time you reach part where you can merge, you're at 100km/h (or the posted highway speed limit).

I was wavering between 95-105 km/h during my test and the instructor dinged me for that. So anal, lol. (well, he probably looked at the speedometer at bad times)
Thanks for your reply! But where did you start speeding up? That is my main concern. The area I am going to do my test does not have much of an 'on-ramp' so I don't know when to start accelerating (solid white line after solid yellow line, perforated white line). On my previous test I was deducted marks because I sped up too early. . .
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22399 posts
3277 upvotes
huhjunn wrote: Thanks for your reply! But where did you start speeding up? That is my main concern. The area I am going to do my test does not have much of an 'on-ramp' so I don't know when to start accelerating (solid white line after solid yellow line, perforated white line). On my previous test I was deducted marks because I sped up too early. . .
Whenever the ramp allows you do, generally where it straightens out.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1463 posts
135 upvotes
It's hard to say without seeing the road. I assume it's an automatic transmission vehicle? If so we can also assume that you`re going at least 50 coming into the acceleration lane. So you need to hit 100km/hr for most testers to be happy. Tip; take your foot completely off the gas and then floor it completely and you'll get your speed up quickly. Don't forget to let off after you hit 100km/hr, then merge safely.

If the acceleration lane is straight i'd start to speed up to 100km/hr about 30feet from where you begin to merge 'dotted lines'.
Buy/Sell/Trade with confidence, 50+ positive feedback.
Aug 5, 2011
695 posts
417 upvotes
Hi fellow RFDers,

May I know where would you recommend that I take my G2 Road test (converting to Full G license) - Metro East or Port Union?