[Merged] The OFFICIAL G1,G2 and G Licensing questions thread

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 1st, 2022 4:57 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2005
3507 posts
1398 upvotes
Toronto
wanchope wrote: Thank you soooooo much!!! I'm taking the test tomorrow. Did your family member pass?
Yup, with flying colours.
Dec 15, 2012
150 posts
9 upvotes
NORTH YORK
My car has a back up camera which can't be turned off. Do I have to cover it?
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1664 posts
200 upvotes
Toronto
wanchope wrote: My car has a back up camera which can't be turned off. Do I have to cover it?
You can quickly glance at it but you can't use it for 100% of back up procedure (staring at the screen while backing up). Make sure you do your shoulder and mirror checks.
Dec 15, 2012
150 posts
9 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Broli's Mom wrote: You can quickly glance at it but you can't use it for 100% of back up procedure (staring at the screen while backing up). Make sure you do your shoulder and mirror checks.
Thanks! I don't plan to use the camera. I was just wondering whether I need to have paper and tape handy
Dec 15, 2012
150 posts
9 upvotes
NORTH YORK
I passed the g road test at the new market location this afternoon. It took about 50 mins. The route was 95% the same with described above. Thanks!
BTW, no need to turn off the cameras. As long as you do all the required checks, it's fine.
Feb 5, 2012
45 posts
79 upvotes
MARKHAM
Im doing my G1 exit test next week at the New Market location, its relatively new and I havnt seen much information on that test site so I have a few questions after going to the location and practicing. Most of the questions I already have a rough idea on what to do, but just want to make sure that my information is correct and don't lose points for careless mistakes.

1) The roads on Harry Walker Parkway South are quite wide and without white lines, should I be driving in the middle or closer to the curbed side? If there is a car parked by the curb do I still need signal to avoid it if I do not go onto oncoming traffic?

2) There are not many roads where I think are suitable for parallel parking, will they make me parallel park behind a car at a curb if the curb behind the car is actually a driveway to demonstrate that I actually know how to do it?

3) This is in regards to the new pedestrian rule as I am a little confused about it, am I not allowed to make a right turn regardless of how far the pedestrian is if they step foot on the crossing at a 4 way intersection with street lights?

4) Do I need to put my 4 way flashers on when I pull over to make a 3pt turn?

Thanks!
Aug 5, 2011
525 posts
78 upvotes
NORTH YORK
Daace25 wrote: Im doing my G1 exit test next week at the New Market location, its relatively new and I havnt seen much information on that test site so I have a few questions after going to the location and practicing. Most of the questions I already have a rough idea on what to do, but just want to make sure that my information is correct and don't lose points for careless mistakes.

1) The roads on Harry Walker Parkway South are quite wide and without white lines, should I be driving in the middle or closer to the curbed side? If there is a car parked by the curb do I still need signal to avoid it if I do not go onto oncoming traffic?

2) There are not many roads where I think are suitable for parallel parking, will they make me parallel park behind a car at a curb if the curb behind the car is actually a driveway to demonstrate that I actually know how to do it?

3) This is in regards to the new pedestrian rule as I am a little confused about it, am I not allowed to make a right turn regardless of how far the pedestrian is if they step foot on the crossing at a 4 way intersection with street lights?

Thanks!
1. If there are no line, stick to the middle. If you aren't changing lanes, no need to signal.

2. For my exam, the examiner told me to parallel park. I pointed out there's a fire hydrant and it's not a suitable parking spot. He told me it was okay and proceed with parallel park. In your case, I'd parallel park as normal but back a bit more until you're clear of the driveway.

3. I'm not sure about the new rule.

4. No, all you need is your right turn signal to pull over. Follow this 3point turn and you'll do fine. http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/ ... 11.0.shtml
Aug 3, 2011
415 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
Daace25 wrote: Im doing my G1 exit test next week at the New Market location, its relatively new and I havnt seen much information on that test site so I have a few questions after going to the location and practicing. Most of the questions I already have a rough idea on what to do, but just want to make sure that my information is correct and don't lose points for careless mistakes.

Thanks!
1) This is situational. You can drive either middle/closer to the curb...whatever is considered "safer" when you drive. You must make a good judgement based on where the parked cars are. No need to signal since you aren't changing any lane.

2) They can ask you to do whatever as long as it's safe and legal. Also, this depends entirely on your instructor. They could also ask you to perform the parallel parking around an "imaginary car" if there's no parked cars around.

3) 4 way intersection? You mean a scramble intersection (like the one at yonge & bloor)? If so, you can't enter/go through if the pedestrian light is on for the entire section. You must wait for the pedestrian priority light goes off entirely.

4) You shouldn't put the hazard light on, unless you are in an emergency or other necessary situation. If there's a vehicle behind you and you want to inform that driver that you are stopping on the curb, then a right-turn signal is a better choice. However, it is necessary for you to make a good judgement on when to make such signal. You shouldn't signal when you are approaching an intersection/entrance since this could misinform other drivers that you are making a turn instead of stopping.
Feb 5, 2012
45 posts
79 upvotes
MARKHAM
@Alastoris, thanks for pointing out that resource for more! I'll be sure to check out all the tabs !
@Arabidopsis nope just a regular intersection, with traffic lights on all four sides, I think it was the new law that came into effect on January 1st, 2016.
Thanks for the help!
Aug 3, 2011
415 posts
97 upvotes
Toronto
Daace25 wrote: @Alastoris, thanks for pointing out that resource for more! I'll be sure to check out all the tabs !
@Arabidopsis nope just a regular intersection, with traffic lights on all four sides, I think it was the new law that came into effect on January 1st, 2016.
Thanks for the help!
Ah those! It's actually quite simple. There are only two things to worry about:

1) Stop completely and do not enter until a pedestrian has completely crossed the school crossing (defined by a school cross guard with a hand-held stop-sign). Any roads with the school cross guard basically. It doesn't have to be near the school zone either.

2) Stop completely and do not enter until a pedestrian has completely crossed the pedestrian crossover. Most of these crossing have the yellow-flashing blinkers. There are also a few without the blinkers, but with a clear sign (e.g. "Yield to Pedestrian" or "Stop here for Pedestrian",etc).

I hope this helps.

ps. This new rule doesn't apply to the crossing with traffic lights or a STOP sign.
Feb 5, 2012
45 posts
79 upvotes
MARKHAM
Arabidopsis wrote: Ah those! It's actually quite simple. There are only two things to worry about:

1) Stop completely and do not enter until a pedestrian has completely crossed the school crossing (defined by a school cross guard with a hand-held stop-sign). Any roads with the school cross guard basically. It doesn't have to be near the school zone either.

2) Stop completely and do not enter until a pedestrian has completely crossed the pedestrian crossover. Most of these crossing have the yellow-flashing blinkers. There are also a few without the blinkers, but with a clear sign (e.g. "Yield to Pedestrian" or "Stop here for Pedestrian",etc).

I hope this helps.

ps. This new rule doesn't apply to the crossing with traffic lights or a STOP sign.
Thanks a lot for the information! Clears everything up!
Feb 5, 2012
45 posts
79 upvotes
MARKHAM
Just passed,
Right on to Harry Walker Parkway South,
Right Nicholson Road,
Uphill parking on that road
Turned Left onto Gorham
Turn right onto Leslie
Merge left lane,
Turn right onto Srigley
Turn right onto Carlson
Turn right onto Wildwood (lots of parked cars on both sides, so take caution)
Turn Left onto Hazelwood Drive
3 Pt Turn
and same way back, making a Left onto Gorham
Turn right onto Harry Walker
Back to Drive Test location
Dec 19, 2015
338 posts
101 upvotes
Newmarket, ON
Hey, does anyone know the Oakville G1 exit test route this year? The route that was I saw people post last year was: left onto Wyecroft, take a left and drive down Bronte, left onto a residential street then: parallel parking, downhill parking, 3 point turn, back to driving test center.

Thanks!
Aug 7, 2016
1 posts
Hi!
I did my g2 test at Victoria Park recently and unfortunately
did not pass. I was wondering if anyone has retaken their
test at that centre after failing and if you were given the
same route? I know the main route, which I did, was left
onto Lawrence from the plaza. Is there another route?
Thanks for the help!
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2008
3158 posts
1336 upvotes
Thornhill
any tips on Oshawa for G1 exit test?
maybe i should have booked downsview instead :S
Deal Fanatic
Sep 22, 2012
6304 posts
7484 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Are we allowed to use a dashcam in the car?
Sep 12, 2016
12 posts
Hello All

I have searched this large thread for specific info about the G test (G2 exit) in Owen Sound. Ive found tons for the other tests, but not the G.

Unfortunately I procrastinated and my G2 expires in two weeks, so I have to pass the first time! LOL

Anyone have insight (what they ask you to do and the route) for Owen Sound G test?

Thanks so much :)
Dec 27, 2012
71 posts
THORNHILL
Hello. How much is it generally to take a g2 road test? And how much to pay when you fail? My mom took a test for $250 and failed. This is suspicious to me.
Btw she took the test in orangeville.
Apr 22, 2016
37 posts
4 upvotes
Failed my G road test twice now.
All with the same driver examiner-who was really rude. She starts to yelling at me when I made a mistake.
I am booking another test on 1st week of November tying different test centre...but it feels like "am I ever going to pass this".