Shopping Discussion

[Merged] Online Shopping

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2008 6:20 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Newbie
Feb 18, 2008
2 posts

[Merged] Online Shopping

When shopping online how is one suppose to really know forsure if a company is legite and how can one be certain that if purchasing a product, that it will actually be delivered by the company like promised? What actions can a consumer take to protect from being scammed out of a purchase online?
15 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 9, 2005
1691 posts
3 upvotes
Purchase with your credit card so that if anythig happens you can do charge back.

Also look for legit feedback from previous customers.
Newbie
Feb 18, 2008
22 posts
to search for some feedbacks on forum is not bad.

or use alexa to check their traffic. If the traffic is good, then can not be an illegal shopping site.

Also if you were using paypal for the payment, something wrong, you can complaint to paypal for the payment, right?
Newbie
Aug 20, 2007
83 posts
8 upvotes
The above advice is good, although I disagree with judging a company by their traffic as reported by Alexa. You'll be turning your back on far too many legitimate smaller (and perhaps more personable) businesses.

I'd also recommend:
- Look for contact information (physical address, phone number, email) and use it! Email a simple question to make sure someone will respond. If they have toll-free #, call to discuss your intended purchase.
- Be wary of sites with glaring spelling or grammatical errors.
- Google the site to find any negative information that may be posted on boards and threads.
- Look for a satisfaction guarantee.
- Find out if they provide order tracking.
Deal Addict
Sep 11, 2006
1918 posts
11 upvotes
KELOWNA
Also never, ever, leave your personal information or credit card with a site that isn't secure. There will be 'https' on the address and a little closed padlock on the bottom of your screen if it's secure when entering your data. A legitimate retailer generally will have those things in place. For the baddies that also do, you have to check their reputations.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
May 2, 2006
7287 posts
1867 upvotes
GTA
If a company is unknown to me, I always check bbb.org and ripoffreport.com for reports on the company.

Simple Google search can also help. As others said, use your credit card so you can do chargeback if necessary.

Also, PayPal usually takes the customer side in disputes unless retailer can prove they shipped the item and it was received by the customer.
Newbie
Feb 20, 2008
9 posts
Waterdown
izzyzz wrote: If a company is unknown to me, I always check bbb.org and ripoffreport.com for reports on the company.

Simple Google search can also help. As others said, use your credit card so you can do chargeback if necessary.

Also, PayPal usually takes the customer side in disputes unless retailer can prove they shipped the item and it was received by the customer.
I agree that you should always pay with a credit card.

I personally would not buy off any site that doesnt have an office or a store. Forget the home based guys. Its partly a moral call, If everyone supports companies that have no employees, where will you work in the future??

Another thing to check is internic.ca If you punch in a web name it will tell you how long they have been around. Its handy as some sites claim to be in business for years and infact the website is a new registration.

I know one website in Canada Claims 1999 but the site is from 2003.If they lie about that , what else do they lie about??

Highly reviewed sites is a scam since many sites submit there own reviews or offer rewards to clients who do a review of the site. Needless to say they only contact customers who had a good sale. In addition the reviews seem alot alike.

The reality is " If a deal is too good to be true" Avoid Ebay like the plague.
[OP]
Newbie
Feb 18, 2008
2 posts
How is one to be 100% sure they will receive the item they purchase from a company on the internet?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2006
9820 posts
856 upvotes
Granter wrote: How is one to be 100% sure they will receive the item they purchase from a company on the internet?
There is always risk involved but with bigger companies (say Dell, Best Buy, etc), there rep would be worth more than whatever you buy from them. Also if you ordered something and its not delivered to you, you can take the company to court to recover any damage you received (e.g. money you spent).

If you buy from EBay, then make sure you don't pay with cash... thats about it. Keep record of payment so you can use in court (if needed).
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 2, 2003
1510 posts
35 upvotes
You can never be sure.

Buying online from anyone is a gamble.

Just place your bets on the right companies, except that you may lose, and pay with a credit card that offers fraud protection.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2006
9820 posts
856 upvotes
tlamm wrote: You can never be sure.

Buying online from anyone is a gamble.

Just place your bets on the right companies, except that you may lose, and pay with a credit card that offers fraud protection.
Fraud protection, at least according to my dad's friend isn't actually all that great. My dad's friend said he lost his CC and someone racked up 2k of bills on it. He used the fraud protection and his CC company said they'll pay the bill and told him to not worry about it (all sounds good right?).

Guess what happens later when he went to the bank (later as in a couple months). He wanted to open another CC and found out he was on the blacklist because of a fraud claim. He's trying to figure out what he can do now (told him he should just get a lawyer but for some reason chinese people hate getting lawyers... at least thats the case for my dad's friend... and my relatives). Also the insurance billing is kinda a scam to charge you more. Its a weight average of the balance at the end of the month... meaning even if you had $20 carrying for the entire month until the last day and then you spent 3000 on the last day, its 3020 carrying balance for the month, not $20 for 29 days and then 3000 for 1 day (kinda confusing and hard to explain).
Deal Addict
User avatar
Oct 2, 2003
1510 posts
35 upvotes
I've used the fraud protection from visa. No issues at all.

Insurance costs are obviously based on your balance, not related to the Original question at all. Read the small print, dont get balance insurance.

GVRtrader wrote: Fraud protection, at least according to my dad's friend isn't actually all that great. My dad's friend said he lost his CC and someone racked up 2k of bills on it. He used the fraud protection and his CC company said they'll pay the bill and told him to not worry about it (all sounds good right?).

Guess what happens later when he went to the bank (later as in a couple months). He wanted to open another CC and found out he was on the blacklist because of a fraud claim. He's trying to figure out what he can do now (told him he should just get a lawyer but for some reason chinese people hate getting lawyers... at least thats the case for my dad's friend... and my relatives). Also the insurance billing is kinda a scam to charge you more. Its a weight average of the balance at the end of the month... meaning even if you had $20 carrying for the entire month until the last day and then you spent 3000 on the last day, its 3020 carrying balance for the month, not $20 for 29 days and then 3000 for 1 day (kinda confusing and hard to explain).
Deal Fanatic
Aug 22, 2006
9820 posts
856 upvotes
Granter wrote: When shopping online how is one suppose to really know forsure if a company is legite and how can one be certain that if purchasing a product, that it will actually be delivered by the company like promised? What actions can a consumer take to protect from being scammed out of a purchase online?
100% legit? Easy, see if they are a retailer or a big chain store and if so, check for locations. If there are physical stores, odds are its legit. Examples - BestBuy, Futureshop, Staples, NCIX, etc

Look around forums and/or ask around. Ask friends to see if they shopped @ XXXXX location before. If your friends shopped at the website before, ask about their experience there.

And probably the least effective way - Do a google search on the company. If the company is a fraud and not new, odds are there will be some post about it on the internet. Google it and see if you find any dirt. If you do, better be safe than sorry.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 9, 2005
3503 posts
1590 upvotes
Ontario
Google is a good research tool.

If there is feedback, then you can judge based on that. If there is little to no feedback then they've obviously not done a lot of business and avoiding them may be your safest bet.

Oh, and there's a wonderful website where you can ask about specific retailers and someone there will likely be able to answer your question. I think it's...um... redflagdeals.com ;)
Kaboom! Kaboom! KABOOM!
Newbie
Feb 20, 2008
1 posts
Just wondering if anyone has any concerns when making purchases online? Do you take any particular safety measures to ensure that you're information is safe?

Top