[Merged] Ontario Driving Test Routes

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 22nd, 2022 6:37 pm
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
3815 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
Does anyone know the route(s) for the Etobicoke testing centre?

Looking for some insight.

Thanks in advance!
Proud supporter of Tour for Kids and Ride for Karen!

Come chat live with other RFD'ers on IRC! #redflagdeals on EFNet!

Peace!
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
3815 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
Anything for Etobicoke route?

Peace!
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2004
3815 posts
96 upvotes
Toronto
bump this up top for some more looks!

wow this is a fast moving sub-forum!

Peace!
Mar 22, 2010
626 posts
165 upvotes
toronto
G Test for Brampton

1. From parking lot, turn left onto First Gulf Blvd.

2. Turn right at Steeles Ave E. (note: there is no yield sign here so proceed without stopping if there are no pedestrians attempting to cross. Many people stop/slow down here because they are accustomed to yield signs at this type of intersection. You will lose points for stopping)

3. Enter highway 410 North (note: the entry lane to the highway is continuous and does not end, so focus on picking up the speed rather than changing lanes. Change lanes only if examiner asks you to)

4. Exit highway, making a left at Clarke Blvd. (note: This road only has a 50 km/h speed limit, however, you will not see the speed limit signs posted because you will enter highway 410 South very shortly, so its a very small stretch of road. If you do 60 km/h on this road, the examiner may automatically fail you, as per their regulations).

5. Turn right entering highway 410 South

6. Exit highway, making a right hand turn at Steeles Ave. W.

7. Turn right onto Kennedy Rd. S

8. Turn left onto Tullamore Rd., which is marked by a pedestrian crossing (entering residential roads, drive accordingly).

9. Turn left onto Bartley Bull Pkwy.

10. Turn left onto Orchard Dr.

11. Turn left onto Steeles Ave. W.

12. Turn right onto First Gulf Blvd.

13. Turn right onto Test Center parking Lot.

Extra notes: 1. At this test center, there is no reverse/bay parking as far as I can tell
2. The parallel is pretty easy because its done between two tall cones and the best part is that the Test Center leaves those cones there 24/7 for you to practice on. Just get the car reasonably deep between the cones, without hitting the curb.
3. You may do parallel parking at the beginning of the test or at the end, depending on the amount of vehicles that are using the cones at that time.
Sep 20, 2009
22 posts
3 upvotes
To people who have taken the port union driving test. I know you're suppose to remain on the furthest right lane for the test. But if the route is exiting Rylander (turn left at Kingston Rd.) there's 2 lanes that turns left and coming onto Kingston Road, it becomes 3 lanes. Knowing I possibly have to turn left on the next intersection.. Would I remain in the furthest right lane of the 3 lanes, knowing I'll probably turn left the next street? So I'll have to do 2 lane changes to the left in a short distance of time?

Anyone been in a similar situation? Please provide some tips and opinions =)
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
7127 posts
1797 upvotes
Sorry to hijack this thread but I find these driving test routes super short and easy :cry: especially if its a routine. Wow its nothing like what we have to go through in lower mainland. The routes are always random and last minute by the instructor, and each session takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour and routes are pretty long and random > :( > :(

Im jealous... :evil:
Nothing is true, everything is permitted - Ezio Auditore.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
226 upvotes
mrperfect wrote: Sorry to hijack this thread but I find these driving test routes super short and easy :cry: especially if its a routine. Wow its nothing like what we have to go through in lower mainland. The routes are always random and last minute by the instructor, and each session takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour and routes are pretty long and random > :( > :(

This is for a provincial licence, not a driving school.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
7127 posts
1797 upvotes
jason9945 wrote: This is for a provincial licence, not a driving school.

We have to take a road test here through ICBC. They are the provincial crown issuing authority for car insurance as well as driving license.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
226 upvotes
mrperfect wrote: We have to take a road test here through ICBC. They are the provincial crown issuing authority for car insurance as well as driving license.

Well you mentioned an instructor in your post. A road test would be conducted by an examiner, an instructor would be someone at a driving school.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 23, 2008
7127 posts
1797 upvotes
jason9945 wrote: Well you mentioned an instructor in your post. A road test would be conducted by an examiner, an instructor would be someone at a driving school.

Yeah sorry my mistake - typo. But yeah like I stated before its insanely hard, most of the times its not about your driving but the examiners temperament, the route he choses, and the traffic you find that will dictate your result. Some people have been driving for 10+ years as a new driver because they just couldnt pass the 5 class driving test.
Mar 22, 2010
626 posts
165 upvotes
toronto
mrperfect wrote: Sorry to hijack this thread but I find these driving test routes super short and easy :cry: especially if its a routine. Wow its nothing like what we have to go through in lower mainland. The routes are always random and last minute by the instructor, and each session takes about 45 minutes to 1 hour and routes are pretty long and random > :( > :(

Yeah that sounds daunting, but one might say 45 minutes gives the examiner a much better opportunity to really evaluate your driving. Here in Ontario the short exam penalizes the driver rather heavily for very small mistakes and there are many mistakes for which you will automatically fail.You cannot "make up" for those mistakes because of the short structure of the exam. In school I always preferred a longer exam to a super short exam because in the longer exams there is a larger margin for error. However, knowing the route ahead of time and practicing on it is invaluable.

I guess the difference between the two provinces may have something to do with population differences. As it stands, many of us have to wait a month or more in Ontario to get an exam because of the lineups. If Ontario had a 45 minute exam, the average wait time would probably double in the GTA.
Apr 13, 2010
44 posts
27 upvotes
Mississauga
I just took my G2 exit at Etobicoke test center (5555 Eglinton Avenue West) 3 days ago. This is the exact route that my examiner led me to:

1) Exit test center: Turn right on Eglinton Avenue
2) Turn right on Renforth Dr (Note: 40km/h zone)
3) Turn left on Eringate Dr
4) Turn right on Margrath Pl
5) Emergency stop and 3-point turn back towards Eringate Dr
6) Turn right on Eringate Dr
7) Enter 427 Southbound
8) Exit 427 ramp on Burnhamthorpe Rd
9) Turn left on Burnhamthorpe Rd
10) Enter 427 Northbound ramp
11) Exit 427 on Eglinton Avenue West
12) Turn right on Commerce Blvd
13) Turn left on Matheson Blvd
14) Turn left on Explorer Dr
15) Turn right on Eglinton Avenue West
16) Turn left into drive test center

Notes:
- Parallel parking between 2 pylons located in the parking lot @ the test center before going through test route.
- Lots of lane changes on the road (Would be wise to get used to the 'Signal -> Rear Mirror -> Side Mirror -> Shoulder check' routine)
- Route lasted ~25 mins

Hope this helps.
Sep 9, 2009
191 posts
1 upvote
Guys,

Please post information about Guelp G drive test route. Have my G test in 2 days.

Thanks.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11096 posts
4340 upvotes
dhtlee wrote: I just took my G2 exit at Etobicoke test center (5555 Eglinton Avenue West) 3 days ago. This is the exact route that my examiner led me to:

1) Exit test center: Turn right on Eglinton Avenue
2) Turn right on Renforth Dr (Note: 40km/h zone)
3) Turn left on Eringate Dr
4) Turn right on Margrath Pl
5) Emergency stop and 3-point turn back towards Eringate Dr
6) Turn right on Eringate Dr
7) Enter 427 Southbound
8) Exit 427 ramp on Burnhamthorpe Rd
9) Turn left on Burnhamthorpe Rd
10) Enter 427 Northbound ramp
11) Exit 427 on Eglinton Avenue West
12) Turn right on Commerce Blvd
13) Turn left on Matheson Blvd
14) Turn left on Explorer Dr
15) Turn right on Eglinton Avenue West
16) Turn left into drive test center

Notes:
- Parallel parking between 2 pylons located in the parking lot @ the test center before going through test route.
- Lots of lane changes on the road (Would be wise to get used to the 'Signal -> Rear Mirror -> Side Mirror -> Shoulder check' routine)
- Route lasted ~25 mins

Hope this helps.

You sequence above for changing lanes is incorrect. So many get this wrong and it's in the Drivers Handbook.

Check mirrors (rear and side)--->blind spot-->signal--->recheck mirrors and blind spot--->change lanes gradually and without slowing down
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2006
6219 posts
226 upvotes
blexann wrote: You sequence above for changing lanes is incorrect. So many get this wrong and it's in the Drivers Handbook.

Check mirrors (rear and side)--->blind spot-->signal--->recheck mirrors and blind spot--->change lanes gradually and without slowing down
I'm pretty sure its actually...
Check mirrors (rear and side)--->blind spot-->recheck mirrors and blind spot--->slam brakes-->Change lanes then go back to the original lane-->honk horn-->SLAM the gas and drive on the shoulder then without looking signal and change lanes
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11096 posts
4340 upvotes
jason9945 wrote: I'm pretty sure its actually...
Check mirrors (rear and side)--->blind spot-->recheck mirrors and blind spot--->slam brakes-->Change lanes then go back to the original lane-->honk horn-->SLAM the gas and drive on the shoulder then without looking signal and change lanes

yea, your related to *lee?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)