Expired Offers

Locked: Prescription Eyeglasses for just over $30 shipped

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 2nd, 2020 8:28 pm
Nov 8, 2013
479 posts
188 upvotes
Toronto, ON
temporary user wrote: If you already bought glasses in store, the PD will be on the receipt. I did my lenses order at Costco 3 years ago. Last week I went back and asked them to reprint my receipt. I had my PD. :)

On the 4th I ordered my first pair online, from Zenni Optical. Received the pair yesterday via Canada Post. No extra charges.
The lenses seem to have the correct prescription.
I never bought it in store, so I don't know my PD. It's unfortunate too, because I'm new to the whole glasses thing I didn't even know what a PD was, or that you needed it until I started researching glasses prices online. The lady at my store was really cool, she said she recommends I get glasses just for long distances when driving, and that I don't even have to get them in store. She probably would have given me my PD if I asked, but I didn't even know what it was.

PD doesn't seem that difficult to figure out yourself, what's the most reliable way to do it? Also, is it worth buying my first pair of glasses online? I ask this because I really have no idea what styles/frames I like, etc. On the flip side, because I only plan to wear them when driving at night maybe, just for clearer vision... I don't know if I necessarily care how they look (however, a nice looking pair would be preferable).
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5828 posts
982 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
DreamSanctuary wrote: I never bought it in store, so I don't know my PD. It's unfortunate too, because I'm new to the whole glasses thing I didn't even know what a PD was, or that you needed it until I started researching glasses prices online. The lady at my store was really cool, she said she recommends I get glasses just for long distances when driving, and that I don't even have to get them in store. She probably would have given me my PD if I asked, but I didn't even know what it was.

PD doesn't seem that difficult to figure out yourself, what's the most reliable way to do it? Also, is it worth buying my first pair of glasses online? I ask this because I really have no idea what styles/frames I like, etc. On the flip side, because I only plan to wear them when driving at night maybe, just for clearer vision... I don't know if I necessarily care how they look (however, a nice looking pair would be preferable).
Maybe you should think of getting your first set of glasses from an optician.
I see some of them advertise that they will compete with on-line pricing, at least to some degree.

The issue besides getting the right PD is also getting a frame that fits properly.
The on-line places have a very large selection of frames and they give you the detailed dimensions of each frame, but that doesn't help unless you have a frame that fits well that you can measure and then find something appropriate at an on-line website.
Or another possible option is to try the $2.00 reading glasses at the dollar store to see if you can find one with a comfortable frame that fits you and then take the dimensions off that.

The PD measurement is done best if someone else does it, the hardest part I find is continuing to focus on a distant object even while the other person is right in front of your face measuring it.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5828 posts
982 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
krs wrote: I found a frame at glassesshop.com which I liked and which is the right size.
Their search mechanism isn't the greatest - couldn't find it initially because of their description and the keywords they use.

So I tried my prescription with bi-focals and it seems to be OK.
At least the system accepted it and I placed my order.

There are a lot of different types of discounts available, so if you order you should check them all out to see which gives you the best deal.

Price for my glasses was reasonable - now to see what actually arrives....and when
Well, my glasses from glassesshop.com finally arrived today.
I had almost given up and was ready to send them an email that the glasses seem to be lost.
So...timeline:
16 June 2016 - Ordered and paid for
17 June 2016 - Received email that order is being processed
4 July 2016 - Received email that glasses have been shipped
8 August 2016 - Glasses arrived via E-Packet

The four week plus shipping from China was expected but the two week plus from order date to ship date was longer than I expected.

Package was a bit crushed when I received it, glasses came wrapped in a small cleaning cloth inside a clear plastic case.
The case was broken (because the package was crushed somewhat) but the glasses themselves were not damaged.

Frame ia nice and good quality, pretty much what I expected.
However, the glasses I ordered were bifocal with a line (Zenni doesn't even offer that in my prescription) and I find that the bifocal line is too high - it's right in the middle of my field of view rather than below it.
Don't think one can specify that to be lower on an order.

I also don't think glassesshop.com gives one an option of the index of the lens like Zenni does.

Bottom Line - If you just need regular lenses, ie not bifocals and if you can wait closw to two months for your glasses, then glassesshop.com seems to be fine.
Their website could use some work - as I mentioned earlier - I was lookung for a Titanium frame and only found the one I ordered by chance since it didn't come up when I searched for Titanium
Feb 27, 2009
753 posts
414 upvotes
Glass shop.com does not pay for shipping and handling back and charges a 50% restocking fee, ouch
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5828 posts
982 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
yellman wrote: Glass shop.com does not pay for shipping and handling back and charges a 50% restocking fee, ouch
Do you mean glassesshop.com?

Or is there another place called "glass shop.com"?

As to shipping/handling back and restocking fee (for any of these on-line suppliers...

I assume it depends why you are sending something back - if it's the suppliers fault - wrong frames, wrong prescription, etc. I would expect them to fix it at no charge.
If they delivered what you ordered but you made a mistake or changed your mind - I wouldn't even expect the suppier to take anything back under any conditions.
Glasses are a custom item which normally can't be returned.

You need to provide more details for others to determine if this is really an "ouch"

I had trouble a few years ago with Zenni when I ordered progressive lenses.
The ision was distorted unless I looked straight through the centre of the lens - something that never happened with single lens glasses or bifocals.
Zenni claimed that was the nature of progressive lenses and I left it at that - just didn't order progressive lenses ever again.
Feb 27, 2009
753 posts
414 upvotes
Glassesshop.com, returns are made easy.
Glasses purchased from Glassesshop.com may simply be returned in their unworn, original, in the original case within 14 days of your receipt of your order, for a refund. Once a customer indicates they would like to return their glasses, they have 14 days to submit all the relevant information to complete the transaction. Please notice the shipping and handling costs will NOT be refunded. There is a 50% restocking fee for glasses.
Jul 16, 2015
334 posts
144 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
wackojacko wrote: I asked my insurance if I could buy glasses online and get reimbursed and they said yes, just make sure the prescription is included.

"Internet receipts are acceptable, provided all information required to process the claim is
included, including details of the prescription."
I was just wondering, cause my search through this thread didn't come up with any results, has anyone submitted a receipt to their insurance company from a non Canadian website? As I recall, most companies only accept receipts from canadian based companies.

Edit1: sorry, i just redid the search and found a couple indicating that their insurance company did cover the expenses and in some cases they were treated as out of country claims. Very interesting, but those posts were all the way back in 2009. Anybody with a current experience?

I ended up purchasing through clearlycontacts.ca for fear of my insurer not covering 39dollarglasses or any of the international retailers. I know it would be just easy to call my insurer and ask, but remember that not all customer service agents know claims processing well and may end up misinforming you. I worked for a insurance company and used to know the process in and out, but haven't worked in that area since 2012. At that time our company would not reimburse for claims made outside of Canada. Maybe something's changed because of the growing trend towards buying online?

Edit2: so I called manulife and they said I could purchase glasses from an international site and get my claim paid. I'm going to try glasses from 39dollarglasses.com to see how it goes. My only concern right now is that the call centre was in the Philippines. As you can probably guess, the claims team and the CSR team are in two different countries so this could be a problem. However, I got the reference number for the call that was recorded so that should help me should an issue arrise. I hate offshore call centres! Been messed over numerous times but I was surprised that this person almost fooled me with his accent. It was almost Canadian.

btw, there's a similar thread going on where I also posted similar information:
eyebuydirect-com-pair-glasses-coatings- ... #p27130616
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5828 posts
982 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
You almost answered your own question....

However - for one each insurance company makes their own rules and they often vary depending on the actual policy one carries, so getting an answer on a forum like this may not provide the correct answer.

And oinly getting a verbal answer if you're really concerned about that issue is probably also not sufficient even with a reference number and the call supposedly being recorded.
If push comes to shove the reference number may not mean anything if you need to refer to it and as to the recording - well we have searched out database and there is no record or recording of your call - happened to me more than once.
Companies only "find" recordings when it is to their benefit - and not even then all the time.

What I would suggest you and others do get the information in writing.
May still not matter in the end but you have a better chance of a company sticking to their word.
Jul 16, 2015
334 posts
144 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Yeah, you're correct, I'll call and get it writing cause that's the only way I have real proof in my hands. Thanks!

I'm just so surprised that nobody has really mentioned the insurance thing in this thread despite the number of people who buy out of Canada.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2005
7814 posts
1015 upvotes
TO
bumping this thread. Any recent deals? I see Cearly has $50 frame specials + $20 lenses, anyone know of recent sites like Zenni that are worth buying from?
Achieva Financial /KOHO / STACK (0% FX Fee) /Tangerine / EQ Bank member / I use Plastiq for paying bills with my CC

"You can't soar with the eagles if you're hanging with the turkeys - Gary Kent