Entertainment

[Merged] The RFD Anime Thread! **No Spoilers Please!**

[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2003
5366 posts
519 upvotes

[Merged] The RFD Anime Thread! **No Spoilers Please!**

As suggested by The Digital Dolphin, I decided to setup an Anime discussion here.

Basically started watching Anime in High School. Passed around fansubs with my friends. Started up with Ranma 1/2, Maison Ikoku and Urusei Yatsura. To this day I still like those series. Watched a whole lot of anime in university since I joined the Anime club and they had their monthly 2 day Anime fest. That was quite fun actually. After university I slowed down for a while but started getting into it once again.

The shows I'm currently watching are Naruto and Initial D 4th stage. But I have tons more to watch at home. Azumanga Daioh, Full Metal Panic, GTO, Witch Hunter Robin, Sakura Wars TV, Gatekeepers, Magic Knights Rayearth 2 and others.

Some of my faves are Macross Plus, Ruruoni Kenshin, Escaflowne, Evangelion, JoJo's Bizarre Adventure and Marmalade Boy.

I've heard good things about Samura Champloo and Last Exile. I should check those out.
This space for rent.
4516 replies
Deal Guru
Mar 17, 2004
11327 posts
9 upvotes
CA
I used to watch a lot of Dragon Balls, Ranma 1/2, Cat's Eyes, Gundam and Macross. Stopped basically after I got to late high school.
Sep 17, 2002
197 posts
Maybe I'll reask my question here

Do you guys think I should get

Macross, Super Dimensional Fortress DVD Box Set 1 (S) (eps 1-12)
Macross, Super Dimensional Fortress DVD Box Set 2 (S) (eps 13-24)
Macross, Super Dimensional Fortress DVD Box Set 3 (S) (eps 25-36)

or

Robotech Remastered: Extended Edition DVD Macross Set 1 (English/Spanish)
Robotech Remastered: Extended Edition DVD Macross Set 2 (English/Spanish)
Robotech Remastered: Extended Edition DVD Macross Set 3 (English/Spanish)

Which I think are essentially the same thing except one is dubbed and the oter isn't right ?

Take into account I haven't seen anything related to the Macross serie except Macros II movie which I have and which I like. :D
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2002
3429 posts
1168 upvotes
BC
Man, I can't believe your making me choose between the terabyte of anime of have stored around the house. Well not including what has already been mentioned, people should check out:

Elfen Lied
FMP Fumoffu
FMA
Chobits
Love Hina
Vandread & Second Stage
Tokyo Underground
Gad Guard
Princess Monoboke
Escaflowne
Chrno Crusade
Cowboy Bebop
Gundam 08TH MS team
Gundam X
Gunslinger Girl
Gunparade March
Midori no Hibi
Last Exile
Fruits Basket
Genshiken
Prince of Tennis
Hikaru no Go
One Piece
Wolf's Rain
Shingetsutan Tsukihime

...and soo many more, but I can't remember of the top of my head ;) . Those are all good, pick one, watch and enjoy!
Nov 20, 2002
479 posts
38 upvotes
Markham, ON
I love animes!!! I can't wait to see Studio Ghibli's new movie, Howl's Moving Castle.

But I slowed down my anime after watching Full Metal Alchemist.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
Does anyone else here have any regular anime activities? Other then one or two Anime conventions that I attend each year (Anime Evolution, and Sakura Con), I always attend a weekly anime screening night which is run by a bunch of my friends (whom I met at anime evolution). Right now we're watching Naruto, and the sequel to Full Metal Panic. We also watch Yake Tate Japan (I'm sure I butchered that name!), it's an anime about a kid with "solar hands" who makes really good bread... yeah, it sounds a little dull, but they find a way to make it really gripping. I think one of the benefits to joining an anime club like this is that we all share each other's anime freely, and Manga too. There have been a couple of cases where I've read a friend's manga, and then gone out and bought the whole set, and now they all borrow my manga because I have all the latest volumes before they do :razz:

Another funny thing I've done, is purchase almost whole series of shows without watching them... I bought the first 6 DVDs of Saiyuki before I even started watching the first DVD. But the funny thing is I bought those 6 DVDs over 3 large purchases from multiple sources (the first 4 DVDs were imported from the US).

I have to say, without anime I would have no social life.... but I'd have a LOT more money!! I've spent probably $3000 CAD or more on anime this year!! (you know, between anime, manga, and anime conventions). I'm also a member at AnimeJyanai.com, which is where I rent my anime when I don't want to own it (getting pretty rare these days though).

Oh, and if anyone ever wonders why I disappear off of the internet at 5:15pm PST on Fridays, and don't show up again until noonish on Saturday... it's because of anime :cheesygri
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
Jan 25, 2004
291 posts
13 upvotes
geeks!!

[size=-10]i like naruto[/size]
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2004
5823 posts
30 upvotes
Markham
bahaha

Bleach and School Rumble are my current favorites, but this season i'm following these:

Akane Maniax
Final Approach
GITS:SAC 2nd gig
GS Destiny
Initial D 4th stage
Maria-sama ga Miteru Spring
Naruto
Samurai 7
Yakitate Japan

oh, and does anyone know when in '05 is Mahou Sensei Negima going to air? That show is gonna be hilarious.

edit: oh, and go watch Appleseed '04....holy crap

edit2: and Gunnerx, Samurai Champloo started really good, but it just crapped out towards the end of the season. Great soundtrack though :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
jollyeskimo wrote:bahaha

Bleach and School Rumble are my current favorites, but this season i'm following these:

Akane Maniax
Final Approach
GITS:SAC 2nd gig
GS Destiny
Initial D 4th stage
Maria-sama ga Miteru Spring
Naruto
Samurai 7
Yakitate Japan

oh, and does anyone know when in '05 is Mahou Sensei Negima going to air? That show is gonna be hilarious.

edit: oh, and go watch Appleseed '04....holy crap

edit2: and Gunnerx, Samurai Champloo started really good, but it just crapped out towards the end of the season. Great soundtrack though :cheesygri
So *THAT'S* how you spell Yakitate! LOL

Yeah, Bleach I was quite surprised and impressed with.

Is Mahou Sensei Negima the one about the 10 year old boy magician sent to teach english in a Japanese all girl middle school?
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2004
5823 posts
30 upvotes
Markham
The Digital Dolphin wrote:So *THAT'S* how you spell Yakitate! LOL

Yeah, Bleach I was quite surprised and impressed with.

Is Mahou Sensei Negima the one about the 10 year old boy magician sent to teach english in a Japanese all girl middle school?
bingo, that's the one.....looks like it's scheduled for a possible 05.01.2005 release

As for Bleach, I still can't believe that it's so funny given the theme and everything...Rukia and her crayon-drawing-explanations cracks me up everytime :lol:
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2003
5366 posts
519 upvotes
My friend was telling me that Yakikate was quite good and gave me the first 4 episodes. I'll most likely check that out. I'm currently working on Midori no Hibi, Gundam Seed and One Piece. So far Midori has been totally weird but quite hilarious. I just started Gundam and One Piece so we'll see how that goes. Naruto just totally sucked me in and I think I watched all 114 episodes in a week!! I can't wait for the latest one to come out.

I'm definitely behind in my Anime. There's so many shows I haven't heard of that people are talking about. My friend also gave me Dokkoida and that's quite hilarious.

My friends and I pass around our anime for each other to check out and most often the others get a set of their own. We're also collecting the GTO manga from tokyopop. I recently finished the Chobits manga so I'll probably start watching the anime too. This is quite an addictive hobby and expensive too! I think I spent around $400 in anime since last week!
This space for rent.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 7, 2003
9057 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
ive been watching anime since i was little... hack i use to watch anime (Macross not hte Robotech garbage, Atom Boy, Voltes V, Mazinger Z and Daimos) religiously with my dad... but that was a long time ago... and ever since moving to Canada my anime watching consumption was limited to the stuff on YTV... and then it evolved into other more things as i joined anime clubs in my local area..

currently im watching..

Bleach
Naruto
School Rumble
Gundam SEED: Destiny
My HiME
Samurai 7
Samurai Champloo
Initial D: 4th Stage
Macross Zero
Bakuretsu Tenshi
May 24, 2003
777 posts
130 upvotes
What is the big attraction with anime? I am not trying to be funny here, I just have never had a desire to even watch it. What would you people recommend as a good starter anime? I have a couple more questions too:
1. How old are most of you who watch it, I am 26, are most of you typically younger, or is it a once you start you dont stop type thing? (I outgrew cartoons a long time ago, are these adult cartoons or something?)
2. Not trying to be racist here, is it an asian thing? because I am asian too, caucasian j/k. but seriously, is it typically an asian following for anime?
3. How come everywhere I look I see anime this anime that? where did this anime stuff come from?
LOL, I seriously want to know the answers to this stuff even though (in a triumph voice) I kid I kid a lil bit.
Deal Fanatic
May 19, 2003
5048 posts
560 upvotes
Ancaster
GunnerX wrote:The shows I'm currently watching are Naruto and Initial D 4th stage. But I have tons more to watch at home. Azumanga Daioh, Full Metal Panic, GTO, Witch Hunter Robin, Sakura Wars TV, Gatekeepers, Magic Knights Rayearth 2 and others.
MKR has a sequel? I guess I should never underestimate skimply-clad girls who are given magical powers then thrown into a fish-out-of-the-water plot.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 7, 2003
9057 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
brownstein wrote:What is the big attraction with anime? I am not trying to be funny here, I just have never had a desire to even watch it. What would you people recommend as a good starter anime? I have a couple more questions too:
1. How old are most of you who watch it, I am 26, are most of you typically younger, or is it a once you start you dont stop type thing? (I outgrew cartoons a long time ago, are these adult cartoons or something?)
2. Not trying to be racist here, is it an asian thing? because I am asian too, caucasian j/k. but seriously, is it typically an asian following for anime?
3. How come everywhere I look I see anime this anime that? where did this anime stuff come from?
LOL, I seriously want to know the answers to this stuff even though (in a triumph voice) I kid I kid a lil bit.
1- it really depends.. im 24 and been watching it ever since i can remember.. anime has alot of variety and its not subjected to just kids... the ones being shown in north america are the more tamed version even on Adult Swim on the Cartoon Network..

2- its typical for asian coz everywhere u c lots of anime merchandising in asia... most anime are cartoon versions of the manga (japanese comics)... and manga is very pop amongst every age group...

3- u can blame pokemon and yu-gi-oh for it... :lol: ... they've increased it popularity...

imo north american cartoons are sub par compared to anime... well there are some notables (family guy, futurama)...
May 24, 2003
777 posts
130 upvotes
thanks for the reply, interesting this anime thing. :D
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2004
1031 posts
6 upvotes
Toronto
anime is really addicting once you get into a particular story/plotline. Or not even that sometimes you just want a good laugh. It's just the out of this world, the anime characters just stretches your imagination. It's a really good form of escaping reality for a few hours and be glued to the tube.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
I love how most anime's have very strong charactor driven plot lines... not the stupid repetitive drivel you get on TV today. And arc based storylines really keep you interested in the whole thing, instead of with North American shows which you can watch in any order you want most of the time.
DVD