Entertainment

[Merged] The RFD Anime Thread! **No Spoilers Please!**

Deal Addict
May 23, 2004
3976 posts
20 upvotes
YTV needs to air Fullmetal Alchemist. that show is a perfect example of good anime.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2003
1143 posts
418 upvotes
Toronto
Naru-u-uuuu-uu-to!

Go NEJI! kick spiderman's butt.

I'm 23, started watching anime (Naruto) this past summer cause of a coworker. As far as I know, Naruto isn't that old, yet they're at episode 115, go anime! They just keep pumpin' these shows out.
Aug 15, 2003
353 posts
2 upvotes
heheh...yea....Naruto is pretty cool

also watchin Gundam Seed Destiny now
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
ck1223 wrote:Naru-u-uuuu-uu-to!

Go NEJI! kick spiderman's butt.

I'm 23, started watching anime (Naruto) this past summer cause of a coworker. As far as I know, Naruto isn't that old, yet they're at episode 115, go anime! They just keep pumpin' these shows out.
Naruto is still being released in Japan, which is why new episodes are coming out here all the time still. But the anime hasn't been officially released for North America yet, so you can't buy it on DVD (officially, I'm sure there are Hong Kong knock offs). Naruto is deffinately one I'm going to be collecting once the official DVDs start coming out! :cheesygri
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2003
1143 posts
418 upvotes
Toronto
The Digital Dolphin wrote:Naruto is still being released in Japan, which is why new episodes are coming out here all the time still.
Yup yup, i believe Naruto is aired on Wednesdays in Japan :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
32 upvotes
The Digital Dolphin wrote:Naruto is still being released in Japan, which is why new episodes are coming out here all the time still. But the anime hasn't been officially released for North America yet, so you can't buy it on DVD (officially, I'm sure there are Hong Kong knock offs). Naruto is deffinately one I'm going to be collecting once the official DVDs start coming out! :cheesygri

Oh man, I've been reading that the Naruto licensees are looking for about $250,000 USD for each episode of Naruto for North American license. I think that is huge for any R1 company right now especially since the anime has no end in sight as well. Although Naruto is sure cash cow though. And yes, NARUTO is one of the best anime to date! :cheesygri
Deal Fanatic
Aug 7, 2003
9062 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
spike-spiegel wrote:Oh man, I've been reading that the Naruto licensees are looking for about $250,000 USD for each episode of Naruto for North American license. I think that is huge for any R1 company right now especially since the anime has no end in sight as well. Although Naruto is sure cash cow though. And yes, NARUTO is one of the best anime to date! :cheesygri
thats nuts... on a slight tangent did u know that Samurai 7 is being produced in High Definition at a price of $300 000 per episode, more than twice what an average non-hi-def series costs... i dont think it will be shown in N/A for a while... so fansubs are the way to go.... such a good series... altho i dont like the fact its being compared to dragonball... -_- ...
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
32 upvotes
cmge wrote:thats nuts... on a slight tangent did u know that Samurai 7 is being produced in High Definition at a price of $300 000 per episode, more than twice what an average non-hi-def series costs... i dont think it will be shown in N/A for a while... so fansubs are the way to go.... such a good series... altho i dont like the fact its being compared to dragonball... -_- ...
Didnt know that about the production cost... It is GONZO after all, nothing but top animation expected from them

Funimation does have license to it and DVD release is expected to be in 2005, maybe I'll pick it up but I am buying Alchemist so perhaps not...

Also another tidbit, I heard EACH episode GITS: SAC costed about $1 million USD to produce making it by farr the most expensive anime project... I'm not sure if Appleseed 2004 has surpassed that though
Deal Fanatic
Aug 7, 2003
9062 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
spike-spiegel wrote:Didnt know that about the production cost... It is GONZO after all, nothing but top animation expected from them

Funimation does have license to it and DVD release is expected to be in 2005, maybe I'll pick it up but I am buying Alchemist so perhaps not...

Also another tidbit, I heard EACH episode GITS: SAC costed about $1 million USD to produce making it by farr the most expensive anime project... I'm not sure if Appleseed 2004 has surpassed that though
HOLY CRAP!!!...

altho FMA is a definite purchase... such a good series... i cant wait to c the movie next year.. and speaking of movies... i have yet to c the Naruto movie fansubbed yet... o_O ..
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
32 upvotes
cmge wrote:HOLY CRAP!!!...

altho FMA is a definite purchase... such a good series... i cant wait to c the movie next year.. and speaking of movies... i have yet to c the Naruto movie fansubbed yet... o_O ..
Naruto movie hasn't been fansubbed because it's not out on Japan DVD yet... Expected date is April 2005 and I'm sure tons of fansubbing groups will jump on it

I don't know about the FMA movie, I heard FMA had a good ending and they should have just left FMA with the series...
Deal Fanatic
Aug 7, 2003
9062 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
spike-spiegel wrote:Naruto movie hasn't been fansubbed because it's not out on Japan DVD yet... Expected date is April 2005 and I'm sure tons of fansubbing groups will jump on it

I don't know about the FMA movie, I heard FMA had a good ending and they should have just left FMA with the series...
ahh that explains it...

FMA had a great ending but it was only 51eps not 52... the 52nd ep is suppose to be the movie... the teaser was released a while back when the series ended
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
32 upvotes
cmge wrote:ahh that explains it...

FMA had a great ending but it was only 51eps not 52... the 52nd ep is suppose to be the movie... the teaser was released a while back when the series ended
Wouldn't know, I am buying FMA blind since all I've seen is the trailer and all the hype. I've asked some trusted anime friends and they say it is definitely worth the hype.

Can't wait, my anticipated title of 2005!
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2003
5375 posts
530 upvotes
I haven't seen FMA either but most people that has rave about it. I will most definitely check it out. Just finished watching Naruto 115. Argh! This weekly release thing is painful! :cheesygri
This space for rent.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2003
1143 posts
418 upvotes
Toronto
GunnerX wrote:I haven't seen FMA either but most people that has rave about it. I will most definitely check it out. Just finished watching Naruto 115. Argh! This weekly release thing is painful! :cheesygri
I hear ya! :cry:
Deal Expert
Oct 26, 2003
37678 posts
5431 upvotes
Winnipeg
is Naruto in engrish or japanese?
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Fanatic
Aug 7, 2003
9062 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
divx wrote:is Naruto in engrish or japanese?
japanese as its being shown in japan currently.. fansubbers are doing an excellent job keeping upto date wit the japanese counterpart...
Deal Expert
Apr 30, 2003
24045 posts
4140 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone watch Read or Die OVAs?
Dec 11, 2003
638 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
Fantaz wrote:Anyone watch Read or Die OVAs?
Yeah, I thought the R.O.D. OVAs were pretty good. I watched them a while ago though, maybe about a year ago I think. The TV series was pretty cool, the action was really good.

And to add to the discussion of this topic. I started catching up on Naruto this past week because I stopped due to school starting and because it was the first semester of University for me. I just started catching up on the past 4 months of One Piece too.

Anime that I would recommend:
Naruto (I don't know why, but the way the action and story is presented makes it a great show and it is probably why there are so many Naruto fans)
One Piece (It is kind of like Dragon Ball Z if I were to make a comparison, but I really like it because it's not really like it at all. All the characters are shown to have their own strength, unlike in Dragon Ball Z where Goku always beats the enemy... In One Piece, it feels to me that every character can fight, even the ones that appear weak can fight.)
Fullmetal Alchemist
Yakitate Japan (An Anime about baking bread presented in a very funny and exciting way, I never knew bread was so interesting!)
Kaleido Star (It is like Sailor Moon, but it takes place around a place like a circus. I can't really describe it that well, but it is a show that you should check out! It is one of my favourite Anime. =D)
2 x 2 = Shinobuden (It's a short 12 episode series with lots of perverted ninjas and also ninja jokes!)

I probably have some more, but I can't think of them off the top of my head.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
32 upvotes
Fantaz wrote:Anyone watch Read or Die OVAs?
The OVAs are good, slick animation from Production IG. Haven't been able to watch the TV series though.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2004
5823 posts
30 upvotes
Markham
yeah, typical high quality stuff from production IG, but personally I prefer the TV series....the 3 sisters' characters are much more intersting imho. Overall the series is incredibly creative though, lots of fun to be had.

Oh, and watch the OVAs before the TV series....the experience is better that way :cheesygri