Entertainment

[Merged] The RFD Anime Thread! **No Spoilers Please!**

Feb 20, 2015
312 posts
239 upvotes
I recently watched Hinatmatsuri, very funny and endearing anime. Sad to learn it never got renewed for Season 2 though.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
2785 posts
1057 upvotes
Toronto
We all knew it. Why wait until now to announce it? 🤦

Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
23766 posts
8537 upvotes
6th season of My Hero Academia has started. Took long enough to get back to it.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
2785 posts
1057 upvotes
Toronto
DougO wrote: 6th season of My Hero Academia has started. Took long enough to get back to it.
I'm still binging on Season 2 through Disney+. Season 6 hasn't started on Disney+ yet so I'm guessing they get it a couple of weeks after Netflix. Not liking Netflix's English subtitles though and Netflix has the episode number orders all wrong. It's like they count the recap specials as an episode. 🤦
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
2785 posts
1057 upvotes
Toronto
For anyone hoping to watch Chainsaw Man via Netflix through VPN to Hong Kong, it premieres on October 19th. Turns out there will be two simulcast schedules as it technically premieres on Ani-One Ultra next Wednesday. Not sure how CRUNCHYROLL is handling it here.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
2785 posts
1057 upvotes
Toronto
Has anybody manage to check out the Urusei Yatsura reboot by David Production? I don't really subscribe to Hidive so it took a while to find another legal streaming source. In my case, it was bilibili through vpn to Singapore.
Sep 18, 2019
985 posts
836 upvotes
You can finally get ticket for One Piece Red at Cineplex.

I can't believe there is only one IMAX in downtown Toronto Angry Face

Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
23766 posts
8537 upvotes
New One Piece movie RED is playing at Cineplex. You lucky guys that get it in both subbed and dub. My theater refuses to run subbed versions of anything so I have to muddle through movies with voices I don't recognize. Been watching things in Japanese or Japanese with subs for over 40 years and that's the way I prefer to watch...
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
2785 posts
1057 upvotes
Toronto
I've finally completed watching through five seasons of My Hero Academia and most of its ova/movies. I know we're somewhere around 4 episodes into the current season and a third movie. But I think it's time I took a break from My Hero Academia and watch something else. Time to catch up on Summertime Rendering and maybe check out the English dub of the first 13 episodes that showed up on Disney+ last week.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
23766 posts
8537 upvotes
tinlun wrote: I've finally completed watching through five seasons of My Hero Academia and most of its ova/movies. I know we're somewhere around 4 episodes into the current season and a third movie. But I think it's time I took a break from My Hero Academia and watch something else. Time to catch up on Summertime Rendering and maybe check out the English dub of the first 13 episodes that showed up on Disney+ last week.
I was the same way with One Piece. I think I stopped at episode #1003. At least they were getting close to the last island but when that was supposed to actually happen was anyone's guess. Originally Oda had said he wanted to wrap things up by 2025 but now? Who knows. Ditto with Dragonball. And now that the latest movie made so much money, do you really think Toriyama and Toei will stop? Hell no...
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
2785 posts
1057 upvotes
Toronto
DougO wrote: I was the same way with One Piece. I think I stopped at episode #1003. At least they were getting close to the last island but when that was supposed to actually happen was anyone's guess. Originally Oda had said he wanted to wrap things up by 2025 but now? Who knows. Ditto with Dragonball. And now that the latest movie made so much money, do you really think Toriyama and Toei will stop? Hell no...
Dragon Ball ended at the right time. At 42 volumes of manga. Everything else is extra. I stopped reading One Piece in the middle of the Sky Piea arc.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
23766 posts
8537 upvotes
tinlun wrote: Dragon Ball ended at the right time. At 42 volumes of manga. Everything else is extra. I stopped reading One Piece in the middle of the Sky Piea arc.
I don't read the manga for either. But just because Super Hero was such a big hit, they still have to carry over the arc from the end of Super (the series). Since the other universes were restored, we should see some new baddies sooner or later. As for One Piece, episode #1003 had revealed who actually went to Laugh Tale and who didn't but the Straw Hats still needed info as to how to get there. This is still in the old Japan storyline (dunno what the manga calls it). But the anime was carrying on and on so slowly, I decided after all these years to just let it slide for awhile. I want to check out the remake Urusei Yatsura series but I have heard they have watered down a bunch of content over the original. I have the first couple episodes but haven't watched them yet. Most newer anime doesn't interest me. Might check out Chainsaw Man though.
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
2785 posts
1057 upvotes
Toronto
DougO wrote: I don't read the manga for either. But just because Super Hero was such a big hit, they still have to carry over the arc from the end of Super (the series). Since the other universes were restored, we should see some new baddies sooner or later. As for One Piece, episode #1003 had revealed who actually went to Laugh Tale and who didn't but the Straw Hats still needed info as to how to get there. This is still in the old Japan storyline (dunno what the manga calls it). But the anime was carrying on and on so slowly, I decided after all these years to just let it slide for awhile. I want to check out the remake Urusei Yatsura series but I have heard they have watered down a bunch of content over the original. I have the first couple episodes but haven't watched them yet. Most newer anime doesn't interest me. Might check out Chainsaw Man though.
I've been watching the new Urusei Yatsura but I can't say if they've watered it down since I haven't really seen the original. You can watch it for free on bilibili with VPN set to Singapore. Not gonna pay for another streaming service. Already paying enough, lol.

I use Fast VPN since it is free for VPN access.

Turns out people had to pay for premium access after three episodes on bilibili Singapore.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
23766 posts
8537 upvotes
Yay! Got to see One Piece Red in Japanese with English subs locally. Not many people in the theater as everyone was watching Wakanda Forever but good enough to see it that way. Not much irritation from the phone crowd this time out but can anyone tell me who you would be phoning when you are supposed to be watching a movie that you paid good money to see? Why bother then if the phone is more important???
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
23766 posts
8537 upvotes
Been loving Chainsaw Man. Love the non-Politically Correct hero. Hearkens back to the good old days for me for anime...
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
2785 posts
1057 upvotes
Toronto
DougO wrote: Been loving Chainsaw Man. Love the non-Politically Correct hero. Hearkens back to the good old days for me for anime...
Really peeved that Netflix is one week behind the Japanese broadcast schedule for Chainsaw Man. But the blame shouldn't be on netflix, it's more on the Asian licensors at Ani-One. They sublicensed the show to bilibili and they get the "one week headstart". But otherwise, the show has been great so far. I'm also reading the manga alongside the anime adaptation. The anime skipped out on some of the source material.
Images
  • Screenshot_20221114-013013_Netflix.jpg
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
2785 posts
1057 upvotes
Toronto
Any announcement on a North American release of The First Slam Dunk? I know it's scheduled for a mid January release in Hong Kong and Taiwan but that's about it. It really sucks that Slam Dunk never got the mainstream popularity in North America. It is absolutely one of my favorite Japanese sports manga of all time. NBA missed a golden opportunity to have advertising campaigns with this series.

And here's a music video to add a little more hype. It's the 2022 version of that iconic ending theme.

Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
2785 posts
1057 upvotes
Toronto
I was never into Sailor Moon. Have tried to watch the old series many times but always tapped out after a dozen episodes. But here's an interesting documentary on the franchise for those of you who are fans of the franchise. (I was always more of a Dragon Ball guy anyway).

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/onde ... /?autoplay
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2013
2785 posts
1057 upvotes
Toronto

Original Shohoku 5 confirmed for Cantonese dub. The Japanese version opted to recast everyone. Can't wait to see this.