Entertainment

[Merged] The RFD Anime Thread! **No Spoilers Please!**

Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
I think the reason that licensing for Naruto in North America is so high is because they want it aired on a major network, like Yugioh and Pokemon... so they're taking it away from the smaller licensing companies like Rightstuf. Unfortunately, that means we'll probably never see an un-edited version being sold in Canada (or US) officially.

As for R.O.D. the OAV's were great! I just ordered them from Rightstuf a couple weeks ago. I'm also following the TV series as it's officially released, and just ordered the 4th DVD. The artbox for the series is AWESOME by the way!
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2004
5823 posts
30 upvotes
Markham
The Digital Dolphin wrote:I think the reason that licensing for Naruto in North America is so high is because they want it aired on a major network, like Yugioh and Pokemon... so they're taking it away from the smaller licensing companies like Rightstuf. Unfortunately, that means we'll probably never see an un-edited version being sold in Canada (or US) officially.

As for R.O.D. the OAV's were great! I just ordered them from Rightstuf a couple weeks ago. I'm also following the TV series as it's officially released, and just ordered the 4th DVD. The artbox for the series is AWESOME by the way!
Shame about naruto....but then again it's a blessing in disguise since I'd rather have it remain unlicensed than have a bunch of voice actors butcher the english dub.
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2003
6739 posts
416 upvotes
Heading to Japan tomorrow for a few weeks. Gonna check out the used book/dvd stores while I'm there to see if there is anything good and cheap that I want. Mostly looking for Crayon Shinchan, Gatchaman and Miyazaki stuff I don't have, and the newer aa megamisama manga.

I don't think anyone mentioned Video Girl Ai. Good series (manga and 6 OVAs) if you like teen angst stuff, and the end theme on the OVAs is one of my favorite Japanese songs.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
32 upvotes
The Digital Dolphin wrote:I think the reason that licensing for Naruto in North America is so high is because they want it aired on a major network, like Yugioh and Pokemon... so they're taking it away from the smaller licensing companies like Rightstuf. Unfortunately, that means we'll probably never see an un-edited version being sold in Canada (or US) officially.
I think a while back, Geneon, ADV, Funi announced they were going to join together to try to license big ticket items such as Naruto. I think it will take multiple companies to bring Naruto to R1 and it should get on TV broadcast for sure. And if Cartoon Network can get it, then YTV should be able to run very unedited like Gundam SEED and WHR.

I think Naruto will inevitably come to North America somehow. It's a sure cash cow, and the Japanese licensees are just trying to milk it for as much as they can from North American companies.

In the end, Naruto should be able to topple Dragonball out and set a better standard for anime in North America.
Dec 11, 2003
638 posts
4 upvotes
Vancouver
jollyeskimo wrote:yeah, typical high quality stuff from production IG, but personally I prefer the TV series....the 3 sisters' characters are much more intersting imho. Overall the series is incredibly creative though, lots of fun to be had.

Oh, and watch the OVAs before the TV series....the experience is better that way :cheesygri
No one told me there were OVAs before I finished the TV series. :( I watched the OVAs after the TV series.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
32 upvotes
ck1223 wrote:What are the OVAs?
OVA = Original Video Animation

They are available only on video and not on TV. Usually have a higher budget and can be more violent and usually mature. Shorter too, wouldn't run for 13 episodes like a TV series.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
spike-spiegel wrote:OVA = Original Video Animation

They are available only on video and not on TV. Usually have a higher budget and can be more violent and usually mature. Shorter too, wouldn't run for 13 episodes like a TV series.
Unless it's Irresponsible Captain Tylor... then the OVA's *did* run for 13 episodes :cheesygri

Didn't Ranma have a lot of OVA's as well?
DVD
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2003
1148 posts
424 upvotes
Toronto
Any shows running right now being fansubed worth watching?
Deal Fanatic
Aug 7, 2003
9062 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
ck1223 wrote:Any shows running right now being fansubed worth watching?
Bleach
Gundam SEED Destiny
Samurai Champloo
Initial D: 4th Stage
School Rumble
My HiME

all currently being fansubbed and being shown in Japan as well
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
32 upvotes
The Digital Dolphin wrote:Unless it's Irresponsible Captain Tylor... then the OVA's *did* run for 13 episodes :cheesygri

Didn't Ranma have a lot of OVA's as well?
Yes, I think so. But most OVAs are 1-6 episodes.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
spike-spiegel wrote:Yes, I think so. But most OVAs are 1-6 episodes.
Yeah, you're right ;)
DVD
Deal Expert
Apr 30, 2003
24045 posts
4140 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone check out the new Appleseed movie that came out? I'd love to see more cg anime movies!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 7, 2003
9062 posts
151 upvotes
Toronto
Fantaz wrote:Anyone check out the new Appleseed movie that came out? I'd love to see more cg anime movies!
yep.. simply amazing... the subs are finally out tooo... ^_^

try checking out a movie called Wonderful Days.. its CG as well but its Korean
Deal Fanatic
Apr 8, 2004
5823 posts
30 upvotes
Markham
Amazing soundtrack too, I can't stop listening to the title track by Basement Jaxx.

And let's not forget GITS:innocence while we're talking about big budget cg movies....I watched Wonderful Days as a recommendation by a friend, but never really got into it for some reason.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Oct 19, 2003
5376 posts
531 upvotes
I have 12 DVDs from Rightstuf on its way. :D Anyone have any opinion on .Hack Sign series? I have always wanted to get it blindy and I did since its on sale. Also picked up the Jin Roh special Ed DVD. I've always seen it for over $50 here so couldn't pass it up for $20US. They're in 3 separate orders so I hope they all go through without getting hit by customs!
This space for rent.
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2002
3493 posts
32 upvotes
GunnerX wrote:I have 12 DVDs from Rightstuf on its way. :D Anyone have any opinion on .Hack Sign series? I have always wanted to get it blindy and I did since its on sale. Also picked up the Jin Roh special Ed DVD. I've always seen it for over $50 here so couldn't pass it up for $20US. They're in 3 separate orders so I hope they all go through without getting hit by customs!
.hack//SIGN was a snorefest for me. Mostly dialogue with slick animation and awesome music. Little action and the almost necessity of playing the games, watching the OVAs and series to fully understand what everything is about. Loved the music, bored with the series.

Jin-Roh is awesome, especially the SE. Oshii is great and one of the last hand-drawn anime to be produced.
Jan 25, 2004
291 posts
13 upvotes
GEEEKS!

[size=-5]Can't believe no one posted about Grenadier. Very good OST also.[/size]
Feb 28, 2002
158 posts
1 upvote
toronto
best new anime i've seen recently (past 4 months) is probably gankutsuou. the story twists and turns revealing a little of the grand scheme with each episode.

i find beck to be good too, but the engrish is very annoying.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2003
1148 posts
424 upvotes
Toronto
yes. gankutsuou. i've been watching that on and off. it's also really interesting.