Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Kobo eBooks

Staples: Mini Kobo with free case ($39.56 with 20 airmiles)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 17th, 2013 10:58 am
Tags:
None
150 replies
Mar 27, 2012
824 posts
251 upvotes
Ontario
Way better than the deal during winter for $50!
Deal Expert
Jun 15, 2012
15662 posts
10440 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Hmm, a pocket e-reader at an almost disposable price.
2GB, not expandable.
800MHz and a little choppy but acceptable.

Comments from RFD e-reader users who own it or can compare?
Jun 2, 2007
582 posts
705 upvotes
Toronto
is this a good buy for 9 years old worth it or just waste of $$ any suggestions?
Dec 31, 2010
923 posts
460 upvotes
Richmond Hill
I feel like they are doing these promos just to push stock and sell them out/get them in as many hands as possible, so that there is a chance at people using their online store, because otherwise they just DONT SELL WELL...
I have kobo glo and still wish its screen was bigger
Its a good (HOT) price, but the small screen is a huge detractor.
You can only decrease the font so much before its hard to see, otherwise you are just swiping away turning those pages like a madman, because maybe like 5-7 medium length sentences fit on a screen with decent font size? Basically a paragraph or two. And imagine reading articulate books like 50 shades of grey with lots of eloquent dialogue. Its painful.
In my opinion takes away from the reading experience.
Deal Addict
Oct 6, 2007
1156 posts
656 upvotes
Toronto, ON
asmalworld wrote: is this a good buy for 9 years old worth it or just waste of $$ any suggestions?
Have one since Christmas, excellent price. It's a good size, fits in your pocket, in a bag, in a purse. The font size is adjustable (it isn't hard to read, you just have to tap the screen a little more frequently than you would have to tap a larger screen - to turn the page). It kills me to think I could have got it for 39.95 instead of $50! haha. I'm tempted to buy another for no reason.

I read an old-school Sherlock Holmes collection of works on it and actually enjoyed the fact that the pages were smaller. It was easier to segment my reading while on the bus, etc.
Deal Expert
Oct 13, 2002
19368 posts
1071 upvotes
AncasterRFD wrote: Hmm, a pocket e-reader at an almost disposable price.
2GB, not expandable.
800MHz and a little choppy but acceptable.

Comments from RFD e-reader users who own it or can compare?
2GB internal memory with option to expand up to 32 GB via Micro-SD card ?
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5679 upvotes
VANCOUVER
devastata wrote: Is this deal in stores?
The Ad says in-store and online.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 13, 2003
9923 posts
1665 upvotes
Kobo is fantastic, however the mini is just too damn small to read comfortably for a long time.
One blind human - a tragedy
Ten blind humans - a disaster
One million blind humans - a statistic
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2012
1823 posts
77 upvotes
Toronto
very attractive, i think i might buy it for my mother.
Deal Expert
Feb 13, 2012
16158 posts
5679 upvotes
VANCOUVER
willy wrote: 2GB internal memory with option to expand up to 32 GB via Micro-SD card ?
There's no SD card slot. Apparently Staples' online description is inaccurate.
Deal Addict
Feb 10, 2007
2107 posts
1719 upvotes
Vancouver
I have a Kindle 3 but I end up using my Galaxy Note to read books all the time because of it's convenience. No E-Ink but there is backlight :p

Using your phone is pretty good as you can set the font bigger and scroll/flip faster
Nov 8, 2012
790 posts
275 upvotes
Bought a few of these as gifts this past holiday season. All recipients love them, and have no issues with the size (which I wasn't sure about..) The battery life is insane, 2 hours of daily use, they've only charged their devices this past week, for the first time since full charge when they were given as gifts. As for the device storage, I mean come on folks. Your average epub ebook is rarely larger than 5MB. Assuming the device OS & other uses up 200mb, that's 360 (large) books. What in the world would one do with 32GB of books! Really...

This device is great for black & white ebook reading. Nothing more, nothing less. A great buy at this price.
Deal Expert
Oct 19, 2003
20241 posts
8367 upvotes
Toronto (Bloor West …
This is a great deal for the mini, I got one for $50 a few months ago ... it's a bit annoying to read on at home sometimes just due to the amount of words that will fit on the screen but you just can't beat these things for travelling with.

Storage space is a non issue you can fit a billion books on the mini and there is no reason to put every book in the world on it at once anyway. I used to try reading on tablets but it is just an awful experience.

The "covers" are useless and worth nothing really IMO except perhaps if you have multiples of the same reader and want to differentiate them so you can tell who's is who's or whatever.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1993 posts
513 upvotes
Toronto
+1.

Inlaws thought the font was too small for them. I got them the kobo arc and they loved it.

My sister loves the size and how long the battery lasts. .

At this price, i might get one for my sister-inlaw just need to wake up early.

It is small, portable and has a long battery life.

Cheers and thanks OP
Thread started in 2016 - 1927 fully gutted and renovated 2 storey detached home in the big T.O. - small projects still in progress.

RFD priceless!
Deal Expert
Apr 30, 2003
24045 posts
4140 upvotes
Toronto
How much is 20 airmiles worth?
Jul 2, 2007
760 posts
191 upvotes
Toronto
Silly question, but what time would the online sale start? I'm assuming midnight EST, but I've been wrong on occasion...
Going broke saving money
Deal Guru
Jul 19, 2012
14763 posts
4912 upvotes
Montreal
BinaryJay wrote: I used to try reading on tablets but it is just an awful experience.
something big and bulky like the touchpad or heavy like the playbook with few reader apps maybe, but I love reading books on my ipad mini + bluefire
Deal Fanatic
Jan 18, 2004
6433 posts
1239 upvotes
Canada
JackWhyte wrote: something big and bulky like the touchpad or heavy like the playbook with few reader apps maybe, but I love reading books on my ipad mini + bluefire
I used to think reading on a tablet was fine... until I used the Nook Glowlight and Kobo Glo.
It's much easier on the eyes at night and I find I can read a lot longer without my eyes bleeding from the strain.