• Nov 13th, 2010 7:02 pm
Tags:
None
26 replies
Jan 7, 2006
426 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
Hmm, I wonder if anyone's noticed -- are the Star promos on a regular annual cycle? We are regular Saturday-only subscribers and just got a notice that we'll have three months of free weekdays to go with our Saturday. Don't really want it - fills up the recycle bin too fast and I don't have time to read more newspaper than I already do! But maybe I should plan to cancel our sub every summer with enough lead time to requalify for the free Saturdays! We're away much of that time anyway and have it on hold.

Edit to add: Note - requires 90 days interruption before you are a new customer. Probably not worth it.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2009
2157 posts
368 upvotes
Caledon, ON
FYI, I did this once and have been getting never ending solicitation from "Newspaper Contact Center" ever since. I have told them to stop calling constantly and have recently had to complain to the no call list ppl.

So this isn't really 'Free'.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
6110 posts
1076 upvotes
Mississauga
Trifid wrote: FYI, I did this once and have been getting never ending solicitation from "Newspaper Contact Center" ever since. I have told them to stop calling constantly and have recently had to complain to the no call list ppl.

So this isn't really 'Free'.
I also had this for 3 months and have had dozens and dozen of calls trying to get me to renew. It doesn't matter how stern I am in saying no, they keep calling and leaving messages. Now they're trying to get me to take it free for 3 month again since it's been so long but I told them I just want the phone calls to end.........PLEASE!.
Jan 7, 2006
426 posts
117 upvotes
Toronto
Maymybonneliveforever wrote: I also had this for 3 months and have had dozens and dozen of calls trying to get me to renew. It doesn't matter how stern I am in saying no, they keep calling and leaving messages. Now they're trying to get me to take it free for 3 month again since it's been so long but I told them I just want the phone calls to end.........PLEASE!.

Good warning -- but did you use the magic words? Saying no doesn't do it, and even saying you want the phone calls to end might not. But if you say "Put me on your NO CALL LIST" you are more likely to be successful. They do have the "existing business relationship" to fall back on but I haven't been bothered by them since uttering the Magic Words.
Deal Guru
Aug 20, 2005
10453 posts
2025 upvotes
Nowhere
rrraven wrote: Good warning -- but did you use the magic words? Saying no doesn't do it, and even saying you want the phone calls to end might not. But if you say "Put me on your NO CALL LIST" you are more likely to be successful. They do have the "existing business relationship" to fall back on but I haven't been bothered by them since uttering the Magic Words.

Agreed. I haven't had a problem with them after asking to be put on their Do Not Call List. I was a Saturday only customer and they kept putting me on free 7 day a week (or free Mon.- Fri.). Every time they sent a notice saying they would call at the end of the free promo to see if I wanted to continue the service. The first time they called I asked them to put me on the Do Not Call List and they never called back again despite putting on the promo over and over. For years, I got 6 day or 7 day per week delivery depending on the promo while only paying for Saturday. The promo would end for a couple of weeks and then they would start a new promo period again.
Mar 24, 2008
108 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Free Saturday delivery of the Toronto Star + Starweek (and those great coupons) for 3 months. :)

[QUOTE]
DON'T MISS OUT ON THIS AMAZING OFFER! For a limited time, you qualify to receive a FREE Trial Subscription to the Saturday Star for 3 Months!
REMEMBER: This TRIAL OFFER is limited to new subscribers who have not had home delivery for at least 90 days. This offer cannot be transferred to another household. Offer not available in all delivery areas. You will receive Starweek Magazine along with your free subscription. [/QUOTE]

Link
Sep 1, 2010
314 posts
22 upvotes
Markham
is this legit? Anybody try this?
Mar 24, 2008
108 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto, ON
TaylorJ wrote: is this legit? Anybody try this?

They've had this promo before and it worked for me. :-)
Oct 9, 2006
241 posts
110 upvotes
Markham
Do we have to call in to cancel after the 3 months ourselves or will they just stop sending them automatically?

I hate the 'opt-out' scams where you have to remember to cancel on time... or else you get charged.
Mar 24, 2008
108 posts
116 upvotes
Toronto, ON
wormy wrote: Do we have to call in to cancel after the 3 months ourselves or will they just stop sending them automatically?

I hate the 'opt-out' scams where you have to remember to cancel on time... or else you get charged.

Last time, they just stopped sending it. You don't even need to give any credit card info when you sign up.
Jun 1, 2006
992 posts
215 upvotes
wormy wrote: Do we have to call in to cancel after the 3 months ourselves or will they just stop sending them automatically?

Yeah, this was my concern as well, however I just signed up, and as mentioned, you don't have to provide any financial information or Credit Card! Thanks OP!
Sep 1, 2010
314 posts
22 upvotes
Markham
Cool. Needed this for class. Thanks OP!
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2008
2795 posts
757 upvotes
Ottawa
Is this open to all cities in Ontario, such as Ottawa, or is it limited to GTA only?
Aug 21, 2006
10 posts
Ontario
They tell me this deal is for Toronto only...Too bad but "Thanks" anyway

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)