• Last Updated:
  • Apr 8th, 2011 11:56 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2002
1838 posts
343 upvotes

[Dell] WDTV Live network media player - $99.99 at Dell.ca

The network-enabled successor to the popular WDTV media player with more horsepower and features.
[IMG]http://www.wdc.com/global/images/produc ... V_Live.jpg[/IMG]

Available now at Amazon.ca for $89.99

Pricematch at Best Buy (listed at $119.95)

Official product information page here.

UPDATE: New official micro-site here.

Promotional video here.

Discussion thread at AVS Forum here.
1662 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2004
4089 posts
574 upvotes
Toronto
Any change to get free shipping?
Heatware

Go Portugal Go
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2004
2165 posts
32 upvotes
Toronto
[QUOTE]WiFi ready- Supports wireless network connection with optional USB wireless adapter.[/QUOTE]

I would have liked it if they incorporated wireless into the device. Not interested in purchasing a separate wireless USB adapter.
"Our lives are defined by opportunities. Even the ones we miss."
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2002
1838 posts
343 upvotes
shawn99 wrote: I would have liked it if they incorporated wireless into the device. Not interested in purchasing a separate wireless USB adapter.
Wireless would have been nice but would certainly have bumped the price up.

Personally I prefer the BYOW ("bring your own wireless") strategy as I plan to use a wired connection for more reliability and I already have several wireless adapters lying around anyway. I'll probably give one to a friend or a family member if they need it for their own WDTV Live.

And FYI for those interested - a USB wireless-n adapter for the WDTV Live can be had for about $25.

C.
Sep 1, 2008
313 posts
300 upvotes
Civuck wrote: Wireless would have been nice but would certainly have bumped the price up.

Personally I prefer the BYOW ("bring your own wireless") strategy as I plan to use a wired connection for more reliability and I already have several wireless adapters lying around anyway. I'll probably give one to a friend or a family member if they need it for their own WDTV Live.

And FYI for those interested - a USB wireless-n adapter for the WDTV Live can be had for about $25.

C.
Agreed. Why should I pay more for wireless if I will only be using a wired connection. Besides, wireless is useless for 1080p anyway.
Jun 9, 2003
232 posts
129 upvotes
Thanks, OP! Great deal. I picked one up to replaced my current WDTV.
Deal Addict
Feb 24, 2005
1245 posts
89 upvotes
Toronto
Badder wrote: Agreed. Why should I pay more for wireless if I will only be using a wired connection. Besides, wireless is useless for 1080p anyway.
I've heard you can stream 1080p over wireless N - true?

edit: never mind - it looks from AVSforum that N is still not wholly reliable for HD streaming; looks like some people have success with 720p but that the consensus is that 1080p esp. requires a wired connection to be lag-free:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/gtsearch ... earch#1264
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2002
1838 posts
343 upvotes
The original WDTV was priced around $150 when it came out in Canada in Fall of last year. So this $129 price is quite good when comparing the old one versus the new one.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
43947 posts
4584 upvotes
Richmond Hill
buyways wrote: I've heard you can stream 1080p over wireless N - true?

edit: never mind - it looks from AVSforum that N is still not wholly reliable for HD streaming; looks like some people have success with 720p but that the consensus is that 1080p esp. requires a wired connection to be lag-free:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/gtsearch ... earch#1264
Even if it was possible the USB would bottleneck it.

Anyways. DAMN YOU NCIX. With the two devices just $30 apart it's hard to decide. I really want RMVB support though. I really hope the O!play can up their PQ to match the Live!, then I'll be sold.
Banned
Oct 12, 2009
21 posts
Hi guys,
would you take this over the O player ? They both have network built in after all..
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
219 upvotes
Ontario
I need to ban myself from RFD.
Going to wait for the new sale tomorrow to see what else is on and maybe add this to the cart.
If my math is correct, it's like paying $120+13% at a local bigbox, if available.
Thanks OP

I forget, enviro fee on these players?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2003
8142 posts
589 upvotes
Scarborough
If you are going to play HD files, don't bother with wireless. Lots people have performance problem with it.
shawn99 wrote: I would have liked it if they incorporated wireless into the device. Not interested in purchasing a separate wireless USB adapter.