Home & Garden

[Merged] Windows/Doors

Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
3285 posts
1275 upvotes
missymouse wrote: Good for you. It's tough trying to be the lowest with the bestest. I assume the horrific was the Canadian Choice?
Nightmares were a couple of others lesser known companies, and I don't really doubt the quality Canadian Choice has. The dude that came over was an older gent (Russian) who I could put up with to a degree but when sitting at a table and somebody claims when you are ready to sign a deal I will get the best price I give them the middle finger and say cya....

Enough negatives from these guys online to not bother with them.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12694 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
missymouse wrote: Come on now come on Jerico. I did a single door with a 4 year assistant who kept telling the customer I wouldn't share the big drill in what 2 1/2 hours.

You are correct, the whole thing makes no sense but you and I have seen more than one bad door install. Hell, I had a russian crew spend 8 hours on a door w/ 2 sidelites and f**ked it up so badly the door was trashed. A $14K screw-up. What made it even more fun is the office called and said the customer wants to see you right away. I asked what the problem was and her response was" I don't know the installer said it went perfect." Nothing was right, nothing. My 4 year old assistant could have done better.
I did a new construction door in a hurry with my buddy in 2 hours. Then realized just before I caulked and trimmed I forgot to lay down a bead under the door. Opps
May 24, 2012
11 posts
STRATFORD, Ontario
djm0 wrote: Hello Guys,

Looking for what I should be expecting to pay for new windows. About 19 windows to replace and a front door.

Background:
in Stratford area
All windows are exterior vinyl wrapped, original builder grade (1992)
Condensation from winters has done some serious damage to them. Mold on mold on mold forms on them all. Cleaning them constantly. (HRV installed in 2018 hasn't really helped)
Hardware is mostly toast.
Seals are failing.
Rotten wood.
Drafty AF!

I had a local company stop by last year and quoted me $30,000 for new windows and a front door. That seems incredibly steep.
For reference I did new last new front door INSTALLED for $1130 all in (12" side light + 36") door - Current door is 36x80 with standard two 12" side lights.

I'm looking for simple windows, nothing crazy. They are mostly standard sizes (mostly all the same size too).
One thing we all didn't address about this chaps problem windows is the condensation issue, should he go for triple glazed? Of course that puts the price up or should we be looking at other options for him?
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10212 posts
5525 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Jerico wrote: I agree looks like ROP wood and doesnt look that hard. I’d probably drop in flush or very thin brickmold inside that trim and the windows would get slightly but not too much smaller.
Had a close look at the moulding. I thought at first it did fool the contractor, the window sales person and me. Looked harder, again, and I am not sure it's vinyl, without cutting into it. Does the Royal stuff have branch knots that look as if they've dried out a bit? Without cutting into the caulking, I can't tell if the moulding was put on first with the siding abutting it, or it's glued/caulked on to, or depends on who was doing what with the house when. The windows were definite installed before the siding went up (have photos of a snapshot in time of the construction).

Royal doesn't have any distributors this side of the Rockies so no wonder no one here has come across the stuff.

I was more familiar with the moulding on the garage, but that was architectural designed and built by the (now-deceased architect and builder) neighbour to match the house. Window trim there is definitely wood.

Knot in the wood or is the vinyl made to look that way?
WP_20200213_13_51_10_Pro.jpg
Too fussy to cut for the overlay. The stuff it too hard to be caulking.
WP_20200213_13_51_26_Pro.jpg
Corner moulding that was not caulked
WP_20200213_13_51_40_Pro.jpg
WP_20200213_13_52_02_Pro.jpg
Garage moulding. The garage was built a few years after the house from locallu-obtained materials. Did not come from Viceroy Homes.
WP_20200213_13_52_36_Pro.jpg
WP_20200213_13_52_53_Pro.jpg
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10212 posts
5525 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
missymouse wrote: Call Dorplex tomorrow and ask them if they have a dealer on the west coast
If there's one thing I've learned about doors and windows, it's that it's generally very, very regional due to bulk, weight, and relatively low cost. Very few big national manufacturers and lots of little local ones. Don't sell further than they can deliver.
I smile when I see container ships sailing past my house laden with stuff made in China
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12694 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
thriftshopper wrote: If there's one thing I've learned about doors and windows, it's that it's generally very, very regional due to bulk, weight, and relatively low cost. Very few big national manufacturers and lots of little local ones. Don't sell further than they can deliver.
Dorplex manufactures in the centre of the Universe but sells into the US as well. So they probably distribute East west as well.
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
12694 posts
7861 upvotes
Paris
thriftshopper wrote: Had a close look at the moulding. I thought at first it did fool the contractor, the window sales person and me. Looked harder, again, and I am not sure it's vinyl, without cutting into it. Does the Royal stuff have branch knots that look as if they've dried out a bit? Without cutting into the caulking, I can't tell if the moulding was put on first with the siding abutting it, or it's glued/caulked on to, or depends on who was doing what with the house when. The windows were definite installed before the siding went up (have photos of a snapshot in time of the construction).

Royal doesn't have any distributors this side of the Rockies so no wonder no one here has come across the stuff.

I was more familiar with the moulding on the garage, but that was architectural designed and built by the (now-deceased architect and builder) neighbour to match the house. Window trim there is definitely wood.

Garage moulding. The garage was built a few years after the house from locallu-obtained materials. Did not come from Viceroy Homes.
Royal distributes as far as Alberta, wouldn’t surprise me to have someone in BC with it as well. It’s a vinyl like material, but that trim looks too “perfect” to be rough saw vs a mold. Might not be royal trim board, could be any siding type treated pretend wood look board. I saw so many this summer when looking for some for a buddy my head spun. Some was coated real wood, some composite, some vinyl.

Just did a check... Burnaby Home Depot carries Royal Trim casing according to them online. Could be Gentek or Kaycan trim or any other siding outfit (Mitten’s owner... Gem?)
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2016
1233 posts
627 upvotes
GTA
thriftshopper wrote: If there's one thing I've learned about doors and windows, it's that it's generally very, very regional due to bulk, weight, and relatively low cost. Very few big national manufacturers and lots of little local ones. Don't sell further than they can deliver.
I know they have a dealer in Calgary and I'm pretty sure they mentioned Vancouver at one point. I'll send the owners an email and ask them
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2016
1233 posts
627 upvotes
GTA
thriftshopper wrote: Had a close look at the moulding. I thought at first it did fool the contractor, the window sales person and me. Looked harder, again, and I am not sure it's vinyl, without cutting into it. Does the Royal stuff have branch knots that look as if they've dried out a bit? Without cutting into the caulking, I can't tell if the moulding was put on first with the siding abutting it, or it's glued/caulked on to, or depends on who was doing what with the house when. The windows were definite installed before the siding went up (have photos of a snapshot in time of the construction).

WP_20200213_13_51_10_Pro.jpg

WP_20200213_13_51_26_Pro.jpg

WP_20200213_13_51_40_Pro.jpg
WP_20200213_13_52_02_Pro.jpg

WP_20200213_13_52_36_Pro.jpg
WP_20200213_13_52_53_Pro.jpg
I was going by the consistency of the grain. It matches the Royal Wood I have in the garage perfectly. But Jerico is right it can be anyone of a hat full of similar products. If it was me replacing it for me, I'd be going all in vinyl wood just to eliminate the rot problems down the road. I re-did the front of my upper windows which were boxed out of 1 X10, 1X4 and ply with the vinyl wood,spray painted it black (I face directly west) and after 6 years it still looks brand new.

What is missing of course is the j-mold from the siding. If it's a hardboard product, I wouldn't be too concerned about slicing through the chalking and remov1ng the window trim. Fill the holes with a good filler and use the old as templates for the new.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2016
1233 posts
627 upvotes
GTA
Seems they don't ship to BC. Their VP answered me this afternoon and he said for you to call Centra 604-882-5010. They have a location on the island.
Deal Guru
Jul 7, 2017
10212 posts
5525 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
missymouse wrote: Seems they don't ship to BC. Their VP answered me this afternoon and he said for you to call Centra 604-882-5010. They have a location on the island.
I called RHP last week and Alberta is as far as they go. I did get an estimate from Centra which is a window/door manufacturer/installer in the adjacent town. As much/more than I got my (better) doors installed for.
Jul 9, 2003
365 posts
156 upvotes
Just had another company come out and quote me. They were here all of 15 minutes to get rough measurements.
Full frame, like for like install came out drastically cheaper. Just over 15K all in.
Windows are all strassburger windows 3000 series.

Anyone ever used a strassburger window?

Pella's full frame install was quoting me @ 25k. I know Pell's windows are fantastic but are they 10K EXTRA fantastic?
Reference: 16 windows, all casement.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
6318 posts
2511 upvotes
does it matter?
djm0 wrote: Just had another company come out and quote me. They were here all of 15 minutes to get rough measurements.
Full frame, like for like install came out drastically cheaper. Just over 15K all in.

Pella's full frame install was quoting me @ 25k. I know Pell's windows are fantastic but are they 10K EXTRA fantastic?
May be. But this is why I hate this industry. There is so much room to make money off customer. That is why I went with pella. Everything went in one shot.
"Laws for thee but not for me!" I will keep on jet-setting around the world. Spend as much as I can and enjoy vacations Free at Friends estate. Do as I do not as I say. I used to pay for my vacation until I met my hero.
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2016
1233 posts
627 upvotes
GTA
callernamet wrote: May be. But this is why I hate this industry. There is so much room to make money off customer. That is why I went with pella. Everything went in one shot.
And we are all still wating for you to explain how you have access to Pella quotes
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2016
1233 posts
627 upvotes
GTA
missymouse wrote: And we are all still wating for you to explain how you have access to Pella quotes
Few issues with venture vultures over the years.

I actually did their 2 of their managers homes around 2014. Imagine that.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2018
6318 posts
2511 upvotes
does it matter?
djm0 wrote: Then I look at reviews and sort by recent. omg. These Americans are having some serious issues with these windows.

https://www.consumeraffairs.com/homeown ... ilter=none
The go with GEM. Pela is on their web site.
But I stand by my comments I never tryst this industry ever.

https://gemwindows.com/pella-windows/

"Laws for thee but not for me!" I will keep on jet-setting around the world. Spend as much as I can and enjoy vacations Free at Friends estate. Do as I do not as I say. I used to pay for my vacation until I met my hero.
May 24, 2012
11 posts
STRATFORD, Ontario
djm0 wrote: Just had another company come out and quote me. They were here all of 15 minutes to get rough measurements.

Strassbuger windows are a very good window. Local company, lovely showroom and many years experience. If you are having a local company install such as Pĺayers Carpentry you wont go wrong. Price is about right.
May 24, 2012
11 posts
STRATFORD, Ontario
Also I am glad you are going with a full frame install, you wont go wrong with that. I have many Strassburger windows installs going back to 1991 and in the Stratford area and they are still going strong. I would have continued using them, however, I developed a very good relationship with another company and was a better fit for me. I would recommend you visit the factory in Kitchener to see how the windows are made. Good luck on your window shopping.

William

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)