Personal Finance

Meridian $100 new HISA account deal (ends 03/31/2019)

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 28th, 2019 9:36 am
[OP]
Jan 18, 2015
786 posts
509 upvotes
Cornwall, ON

Meridian $100 new HISA account deal (ends 03/31/2019)

I tried advanced search, but couldn't find a topic with this, though it was sprinkled among various threads. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the Meridian $100 promo when you deposit $1k min. I found THIS information. I know it ends 03/31 and you have to leave it there for 3-4 months before you can pull it out, but I was wondering about processing times and things. I just sent a request to open a new account and it instantly said it was already activated but I got no email from them. It gave 2 options, one to send in a void cheque and another to get the information from a banking statement by uploading a recent one. I did the latter but what is your experience with this? Is that all I need to do - upload the document, wait for a couple of days to receive a response, then initiate a transfer? When I called I got literally the most useless woman in the world who provided zero assistance in answering my questions, but I don't want to miss out. I'm most concerned with the time frame. It's so close, I don't want to lose out by like a day or 2 because of some delay or them asking me to mail something in the end anyway. Thanks. If there is another thread I didn't find, please let me know and/or merge us. Smiling Face With Sunglasses

PS: Does the PDF mean that I can deposit $1k until April 30th, get the $100 bonus, then withdraw my $1k, but only have to leave the $100 for another 90 days before I withdraw it, or do I have to leave the entire amount alone for 90 days? Just for clarity.
Max Low Income NoAF CB:
SLOT1: Simplii 4%/1.5%
SLOT2 3% Grocery: BMO CB MC ** MC for WM Supercentre+NoFrills
SLOT3 (1.25% OTHER): Amex SC/AmexBlueSky
Thread Summary
22 replies
Jun 30, 2017
47 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
You have to open account and deposit $1k before 31st March. Keep that money till 1st April and transfer it to wherever you want. Before 30th April, you will get $100 bonus which will be on hold (for 3 months)..after 3 months, transfer $100 out.
Bank : Tangerine, EQ Bank
Credit Cards : Tangerine (2% on 3 categories), Rogers (1.5% flat, 3% on USD)
Stocks/ETFs : Wealthsimple Trade, Questrade
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13651 posts
11134 upvotes
Leask
GujjuCanuck wrote: You have to open account and deposit $1k before 31st March. Keep that money till 1st April and transfer it to wherever you want. Before 30th April, you will get $100 bonus which will be on hold (for 3 months)..after 3 months, transfer $100 out.
This. The $100 WB is usually twice a year. The referral alternative is $50 WB + promo interest rate, so it depends on which works best for you. Once you get the WB $$, you can transfer out the $1k. You can also link external accounts at Meridian for me to me transfers extremely easily (heck, they'll accept an account e-statement as proof of account ownership).

Meridian is great for an easy $100. Next in kin for easy money on signups are DUCA ($50 for referee) who is now running 3% HISA until January 2020 (ON only), Achieva ($25 referral) for $250 funding for 30 days, by far the easiest "free money" we can get from low hanging fruit...not to mention Tang that virtually every RFDer already has.
No solicitation in sigs
[OP]
Jan 18, 2015
786 posts
509 upvotes
Cornwall, ON
GujjuCanuck wrote: You have to open account and deposit $1k before 31st March. Keep that money till 1st April and transfer it to wherever you want. Before 30th April, you will get $100 bonus which will be on hold (for 3 months)..after 3 months, transfer $100 out.
So you're saying I can actually put the cash in for like a week and that's sufficient as long as it's in until April 1st??? I'd be content just holding it there until the $100 arrives, but the way you word it, it's like that's completely irrelevant, lol. As long as I know I can move it once the $100 shows up, I think it's a great idea.
titaniumtux wrote: This. The $100 WB is usually twice a year. The referral alternative is $50 WB + promo interest rate, so it depends on which works best for you. Once you get the WB $$, you can transfer out the $1k. You can also link external accounts at Meridian for me to me transfers extremely easily (heck, they'll accept an account e-statement as proof of account ownership).

Meridian is great for an easy $100. Next in kin for easy money on signups are DUCA ($50 for referee) who is now running 3% HISA until January 2020 (ON only), Achieva ($25 referral) for $250 funding for 30 days, by far the easiest "free money" we can get from low hanging fruit...not to mention Tang that virtually every RFDer already has.
It's been a couple of days and I still have no email confirmation or transfer request option. So just to confirm, lots of people have done this and Meridian (along with the other 2 you've mentioned) are all "safe" options? So far it hasn't been a great experience. I kind of expect at least a confirmation email or something by now, and customer service is kind of lacking there. I don't want to regret setting up an account or depositing only to later have them pull a fast one on me, or worse keeping my $1k. All things considered, even being legit, since these are all smaller companies, I kind of worry about their security level with my info too. What's your opinion?
Max Low Income NoAF CB:
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2017
2541 posts
1037 upvotes
CND Brain & Hear…
note there for everyone. if you're not an ON resident, Meridian places a 20 days fund holding on your ATM and cheque deposit.
I took their WB money and went elsewhere. So much disrespect towards out-of-province member.
I hope their Motus won't be as bad
Give me a J. I'm a maniac and an African expert.
Mar 29, 2017
67 posts
21 upvotes
I opened my account and didn't get a confirmation email until about 3 days later. As for the $1,000, I would keep it in the account until you receive the $100, after which you can withdraw the $1,000, but must keep the $100 until the hold period is over.
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13651 posts
11134 upvotes
Leask
CouponBaron wrote: So you're saying I can actually put the cash in for like a week and that's sufficient as long as it's in until April 1st??? I'd be content just holding it there until the $100 arrives, but the way you word it, it's like that's completely irrelevant, lol. As long as I know I can move it once the $100 shows up, I think it's a great idea.
It's been a couple of days and I still have no email confirmation or transfer request option. So just to confirm, lots of people have done this and Meridian (along with the other 2 you've mentioned) are all "safe" options? So far it hasn't been a great experience. I kind of expect at least a confirmation email or something by now, and customer service is kind of lacking there. I don't want to regret setting up an account or depositing only to later have them pull a fast one on me, or worse keeping my $1k. All things considered, even being legit, since these are all smaller companies, I kind of worry about their security level with my info too. What's your opinion?
You're good. Money is safe at Meridian. They can't mess with your money. I'll agree that they're not quick with outbound communication.
Jamal2207 wrote: I opened my account and didn't get a confirmation email until about 3 days later. As for the $1,000, I would keep it in the account until you receive the $100, after which you can withdraw the $1,000, but must keep the $100 until the hold period is over.
+1
No solicitation in sigs
[OP]
Jan 18, 2015
786 posts
509 upvotes
Cornwall, ON
Jamal2207 wrote: I opened my account and didn't get a confirmation email until about 3 days later. As for the $1,000, I would keep it in the account until you receive the $100, after which you can withdraw the $1,000, but must keep the $100 until the hold period is over.
Okay, perfect. Thanks. Have you been through the whole process in the past or just happen to be in the process of the current deposit account bonus? I'm particularly curious to hear from those who did this in the past and see what's normal for Meridian.
titaniumtux wrote: You're good. Money is safe at Meridian. They can't mess with your money. I'll agree that they're not quick with outbound communication.
Have you dealt with a lot of these smaller CUs already on similar promos? Are they all like that?
Max Low Income NoAF CB:
Jun 30, 2017
47 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
CouponBaron wrote: So you're saying I can actually put the cash in for like a week and that's sufficient as long as it's in until April 1st??? I'd be content just holding it there until the $100 arrives, but the way you word it, it's like that's completely irrelevant, lol. As long as I know I can move it once the $100 shows up, I think it's a great idea.

Yes, you can move money on 1st April
Bank : Tangerine, EQ Bank
Credit Cards : Tangerine (2% on 3 categories), Rogers (1.5% flat, 3% on USD)
Stocks/ETFs : Wealthsimple Trade, Questrade
Mar 29, 2017
67 posts
21 upvotes
CouponBaron wrote: Okay, perfect. Thanks. Have you been through the whole process in the past or just happen to be in the process of the current deposit account bonus? I'm particularly curious to hear from those who did this in the past and see what's normal for Meridian.
I just opened my account this month and haven’t received the $100 yet. From their terms & conditions:

“The awarded funds will be deposited by April 30, 2019 once Meridian has the opportunity to verify the account, the qualifying deposit and Member eligibility”.

I would keep the $1K in the account until April 30th. It also says you must keep the bonus for at least 90 days.

https://www.meridiancu.ca/Meridian/medi ... n-2019.pdf
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13651 posts
11134 upvotes
Leask
CouponBaron wrote: Okay, perfect. Thanks. Have you been through the whole process in the past or just happen to be in the process of the current deposit account bonus? I'm particularly curious to hear from those who did this in the past and see what's normal for Meridian.

Have you dealt with a lot of these smaller CUs already on similar promos? Are they all like that?
Yes, and it's been great.
No solicitation in sigs
[OP]
Jan 18, 2015
786 posts
509 upvotes
Cornwall, ON
titaniumtux wrote: Yes, and it's been great.
Alright, sounds good! Still waiting, hopefully I get some confirmation soon!
Max Low Income NoAF CB:
[OP]
Jan 18, 2015
786 posts
509 upvotes
Cornwall, ON
I figure I might as well document my experience, in case someone else wants to do this.

Following up, still receiving no email confirmation I logged into the website... Apparently there is a notice in the online account that Money Mover transfer service is ready...Except even though I selected the Good to Grow promo, they've created an "Advantage Savings" account instead...I explicitly clicked the promo link and selected the "Good to Grow HISA" and yet it looks rather suspicious... I will have to call them when they open.

EDIT: Update. Called when they opened, and the girl said the "Online Advantage Savings Account" is an alias of the "Good to Grow HISA". She said there is a regular "Advantage Savings Account" as well, which is not an e-savings account and that's why their website lists 2 types. The only indicators that it's the right one is that it says "Online" Advantage Savings Account in the title, and that the listed interest rate is 1.5%. I asked for a confirmation of some kind since I have nothing to show I'm eligible for the promo, so she suggested I message them in the "Secure Message" drop-down to confirm eligibility and they would respond back. I did and it says to expect a response in 2 business days.
Max Low Income NoAF CB:
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
13651 posts
11134 upvotes
Leask
you're good. the online hisa is unlimited withdrawal but no bill pay, the other one is one free withdrawal per month but yes bill pay, including to stack mc.
No solicitation in sigs
[OP]
Jan 18, 2015
786 posts
509 upvotes
Cornwall, ON
Yeah, I got the confirmation same day and started the transfer. They said it takes 3 business days to process. So to everyone else interested in this offer, your actual cutoff to setup the account is around next Wednesday the 27th.
Max Low Income NoAF CB: