Credit Cards

[Meridian Visa] 4% cash back on G&G, 2% on Rx&PAP VISA card (First $25,000 in purchase)*No limited time

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2023 10:50 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15779 posts
21494 upvotes
Vancouver
ml88888888 wrote: I agree. If someone really wants to get the gift card, they should redeem for a statement credit, then use the credit to buy the gc from a store.
Sure, but some people just don’t think that way. They want a “free gift card.” A lowered monthly bill that frees up the money for you to buy the gift card just doesn’t “feel” the same.

It’s like the guy who pasted here a while back asking which RCSS sells TVs, because he wanted to redeem 500k PCO points for one. It was suggested that he redeem for groceries and use the money freed up from his grocery budget to buy the TV from anywhere he wants. He wasn’t having it. “But I don’t want or need free groceries. I want a free TV”. It was explained to him that the math works out the same, and he still wasn’t having it. Meridian’s system exists for people like this.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7671 posts
4467 upvotes
How do you sign to this card online? I went the site https://www.collabriacreditcards.ca and it is asking if you want to apply for this card , please type in the name of the financial institution. But I am not applying. I want to sign in. If I type in meridian, it doesn’t find it.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15779 posts
21494 upvotes
Vancouver
ml88888888 wrote: How do you sign to this card online? I went the site https://www.collabriacreditcards.ca and it is asking if you want to apply for this card , please type in the name of the financial institution. But I am not applying. I want to sign in. If I type in meridian, it doesn’t find it.
https://meridian.mycardinfo.com/
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13393 posts
8756 upvotes
Markham
ml88888888 wrote: I agree. If someone really wants to get the gift card, they should redeem for a statement credit, then use the credit to buy the gc from a store. Whoever designed this reward system should be replaced.
Is mbna we the only exception ? Eg GC is better than credit?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7671 posts
4467 upvotes
How long will it take to show the reward points in my acct after transactions are posted?

Update: calling Meridian and was told that rewards will only show after the next monthly statement is issued.
Apr 23, 2009
657 posts
176 upvotes
GTA
Does anyone know which gas station will give you reward points when you buy gift cards? Shell does not give air miles.

I tried Esso, because the staff said I would get points for gift card purchases. I showed Esso Extra card and scanned it but the receipt does not show any of the account #, so not sure if there was some reading error ... I didn't receive points anyhow. (I searched for an active Esso Extra thread, which does not seem to exist. Esso Extra program rules state I don't get points for Esso gift cards, but they don't mention other gift cards that they sell.)

Petro Canada points and Aeroplan are other possibilities. (I don't have other gas station rewards memberships.) Is there another thread that I should ask this question? Thanks. :)
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15779 posts
21494 upvotes
Vancouver
emiabe wrote: Is there another thread that I should ask this question? Thanks. :)
Yeah this is the thread for the Meridian Visa card. You do get Meridian points for everything you buy at any gas station, no matter what it is. Just ask your question in a new thread.
Nov 3, 2018
472 posts
776 upvotes
emiabe wrote: Does anyone know which gas station will give you reward points when you buy gift cards? Shell does not give air miles.

I tried Esso, because the staff said I would get points for gift card purchases. I showed Esso Extra card and scanned it but the receipt does not show any of the account #, so not sure if there was some reading error ... I didn't receive points anyhow. (I searched for an active Esso Extra thread, which does not seem to exist. Esso Extra program rules state I don't get points for Esso gift cards, but they don't mention other gift cards that they sell.)

Petro Canada points and Aeroplan are other possibilities. (I don't have other gas station rewards memberships.) Is there another thread that I should ask this question? Thanks. :)
It's only Shell gift cards that don't earn you Airmiles. Other gift cards, when bought at Shell, earn you Airmiles. When I had my Meridian Visa Inifinite, I regularly bought gift cards at Shell. This made all these purchases count as gas purchases on the Meridian card, giving 4% cashback. What I figured out was this (Admittedly, it's been over a year since I cancelled my Meridian Visa Infinite, so this may be outdated):

Buy Shell gift cards at Shell: earn 4% cashback on Meridian VI (this is kind of pointless, since you can get the same 4% cashback at Shell by spending normally. Also, Shell gift cards are very annoying to use because the cashier must first enter the exact amount to charge to the gift card before swiping it. The gift card will decline the transaction if the cashier tries to charge to much onto the card, which is exactly what will happen if the purchase is a higher amount than what is left on the gift card. This means when you get to the last few dollars/cents on the gift card, you have to keep track of the amount, and tell the cashier exactly how much to charge to the gift card)

Buy any other gift cards at Shell: earn 4% cashback on Meridian VI, earn 1 Airmile / $10 (this is where it makes sense to buy gift cards at shell. I bought many Amazon, Home Depot, LCBO, and Canadian Tire gift cards in this way. Getting me 4% cashback on Meridian VI at places I would only normally get 1.5% using Rogers WE. Additionally Shell gives you Airmiles on gift card purchases on non-Shell gift cards. As an added bonus, for LCBO purchases, I'd get Airmiles from Shell for the gift card purchase, and then I'd get Airmiles again from LCBO on the actual purchase itself)
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15779 posts
21494 upvotes
Vancouver
OxbridgeIvy wrote: As an added bonus, for LCBO purchases, I'd get Airmiles from Shell for the gift card purchase, and then I'd get Airmiles again from LCBO on the actual purchase itself)
$100 LCBO GC = 4% back at the gas station, another 1% in Air Miles from Shell, and your Air Miles earned by using the GC at the LCBO itself. I'm very jealous. BC Liquor Store gift cards are available from nowhere except from the liquor stores themselves, and there are no Air Miles to earn by buying liquor anywhere in BC.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7671 posts
4467 upvotes
OxbridgeIvy wrote: It's only Shell gift cards that don't earn you Airmiles. Other gift cards, when bought at Shell, earn you Airmiles. When I had my Meridian Visa Inifinite, I regularly bought gift cards at Shell. This made all these purchases count as gas purchases on the Meridian card, giving 4% cashback. What I figured out was this (Admittedly, it's been over a year since I cancelled my Meridian Visa Infinite, so this may be outdated):

Buy Shell gift cards at Shell: earn 4% cashback on Meridian VI (this is kind of pointless, since you can get the same 4% cashback at Shell by spending normally. Also, Shell gift cards are very annoying to use because the cashier must first enter the exact amount to charge to the gift card before swiping it. The gift card will decline the transaction if the cashier tries to charge to much onto the card, which is exactly what will happen if the purchase is a higher amount than what is left on the gift card. This means when you get to the last few dollars/cents on the gift card, you have to keep track of the amount, and tell the cashier exactly how much to charge to the gift card)

Buy any other gift cards at Shell: earn 4% cashback on Meridian VI, earn 1 Airmile / $10 (this is where it makes sense to buy gift cards at shell. I bought many Amazon, Home Depot, LCBO, and Canadian Tire gift cards in this way. Getting me 4% cashback on Meridian VI at places I would only normally get 1.5% using Rogers WE. Additionally Shell gives you Airmiles on gift card purchases on non-Shell gift cards. As an added bonus, for LCBO purchases, I'd get Airmiles from Shell for the gift card purchase, and then I'd get Airmiles again from LCBO on the actual purchase itself)
As you said that you have not bought any gcs from Shell for a year. Things can change since you did last time at Shell. You don’t earn AM for buying any gcs or lottery tickets any more since about Aug., 2020.
Why did you stop buying gcs from Shell after cancelling your Meridian Visa?
Nov 3, 2018
472 posts
776 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: As you said that you have not bought any gcs from Shell for a year. Things can change since you did last time at Shell. You don’t earn AM for buying any gcs or lottery tickets any more since about Aug., 2020.
Why did you stop buying gcs from Shell after cancelling your Meridian Visa?
That question pretty much answers itself. The only reason I bought GCs was because it gets me 4% cashback on Meridian VI if I buy those GCs at a gas station or grocery store. Taking away the Meridian VI also takes away that reason.

Currently, I only very occasionally get GCs, since I have the BMO cashback MC. It gets me 3% (but only at grocery stores, not gas stations.)
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7671 posts
4467 upvotes
OxbridgeIvy wrote: That question pretty much answers itself. The only reason I bought GCs was because it gets me 4% cashback on Meridian VI if I buy those GCs at a gas station or grocery store. Taking away the Meridian VI also takes away that reason.

Currently, I only very occasionally get GCs, since I have the BMO cashback MC. It gets me 3% (but only at grocery stores, not gas stations.)
The BMO card must be fee free then. If not fee free, why switching?
Nov 3, 2018
472 posts
776 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: The BMO card must be fee free then. If not fee free, why switching?
Correct. It is a free card. The Meridian VI had FYF, so I only held it a year and cancelled it before they would have charged me a fee for the second year. I've never paid a credit card fee in my life.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7671 posts
4467 upvotes
OxbridgeIvy wrote: Correct. It is a free card. The Meridian VI had FYF, so I only held it a year and cancelled it before they would have charged me a fee for the second year. I've never paid a credit card fee in my life.
Since Meridian charges $99 fee and gives you 4% on G & G, vs. 3% for BMO card, it would take $9900/yr spending to cover the fee. Is the BMO card also FYF?
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15779 posts
21494 upvotes
Vancouver
Anyone else having trouble redeeming points for cash back? From the meridian.mycardinfo.com page I click Browse Rewards, but it just takes me to the same page, with no link to the rewards section. Same result in two different browsers.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7671 posts
4467 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Anyone else having trouble redeeming points for cash back? From the meridian.mycardinfo.com page I click Browse Rewards, but it just takes me to the same page, with no link to the rewards section. Same result in two different browsers.
same thing for me. But I have zero points because I just redeemed last month.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15779 posts
21494 upvotes
Vancouver
Kiraly wrote: Anyone else having trouble redeeming points for cash back? From the meridian.mycardinfo.com page I click Browse Rewards, but it just takes me to the same page, with no link to the rewards section. Same result in two different browsers.
Nearly two weeks later I still can't redeem points. I have more than 8,000 points. I'll have to call them. Is this not happening to anyone else?
Edit: I discovered the link from MyCardInfo to the rewards program is broken. I visited the reward program page directly and logged in there and was able to redeem my points for cash back. https://reward-headquarters.com/groupMeridianTR
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15779 posts
21494 upvotes
Vancouver
I received a new card to replace the one that's expiring soon. The new one expires only two years from now. I think that's the shortest validity period I've ever had on a card replacing an expiring one. On the plus side, the points redemption I made on Thursday has already been credited today, a holiday Monday. That's the shortest amount of time I have ever waited to get the credit after redeeming points. I have had it take longer than a month.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7671 posts
4467 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: I received a new card to replace the one that's expiring soon. The new one expires only two years from now. I think that's the shortest validity period I've ever had on a card replacing an expiring one. On the plus side, the points redemption I made on Thursday has already been credited today, a holiday Monday. That's the shortest amount of time I have ever waited to get the credit after redeeming points. I have had it take longer than a month.
I redeemed my points on Jan. 16, one day after my monthly statement was issued on Jan. 15 and points earned for the Jan. statement shown up in reward acct. I was told the points earned for the statement will only show up in reward acct after each statement is issued. Still nothing credited yet for the Jan. 16 redemption. Was your statement issued on the 15th of each month? If yes, has your Feb. statement issued today yet? My Feb. statement has not been issued yet. May be the statement credit works the same?

Update: as I had guessed, my Jan. 16 redemption was credited in my Feb. 15 statement. So it seems that points reward and points credit are done in the next statement. So it doesn't matter when you redeem, it will be credited in the next statement.
Last edited by ml88888888 on Feb 16th, 2021 2:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)