Credit Cards

[Meridian Visa] 4% cash back on G&G, 2% on Rx&PAP VISA card (First $25,000 in purchase)*No limited time

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2023 8:07 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
9920 posts
3155 upvotes
multi city dweller
ml88888888 wrote: Sign in to your Visa acct online, click on the reward point section to redeem for statement credit.
what a waste of time ...

it seems meridian can close yr account at anytime

i tried to get my money back ($1) but was told i won't be getting it back since it is only $1 ... if it is more, then i need to provide proof the fund is legit and belong to me before they will issue a refund chq ... wtf ..?

be forewarned to carry a backup cc if you are traveling ...
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7733 posts
4505 upvotes
LOL808 wrote: what a waste of time ...

it seems meridian can close yr account at anytime

i tried to get my money back ($1) but was told i won't be getting it back since it is only $1 ... if it is more, then i need to provide proof the fund is legit and belong to me before they will issue a refund chq ... wtf ..?

be forewarned to carry a backup cc if you are traveling ...
Now since you have the new MBNA MC now and will earn 5x points for using it, just forget about the $1 reward wasted in your Meridian Visa..
Jan 6, 2018
149 posts
50 upvotes
hi LOL808,
So they also closed the CC?

if that's so the best one is to get the Pay-as-you-go chequing account?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 30, 2012
9920 posts
3155 upvotes
multi city dweller
Rebelyouth wrote: hi LOL808,
So they also closed the CC?

if that's so the best one is to get the Pay-as-you-go chequing account?
yes, i am not sure who closed my cc ... according to credit bureau it was closed by customer request ... Face Screaming In Fear

i phoned meridian about it, but they said i should contact colabria about it ...

after talking to meridian, i no longer desire "their" credit cards as i did not get a good feeling about their cards ... not sure who actually is responsible for resolving any potential issue ...

personally i would avoid them ...

not sure if Pay-as-you-go chequing account will help as i don't even know the reason for what "they" did ...
Jan 6, 2018
149 posts
50 upvotes
Thank you LOL808,

I am looking for a no-fee Visa card ( I have tons of MC), in case the merchant doesn't accept MC.

So the other 2 cards are Home Trust and Simplii ( and no way I will take Scotia).

Thanks again
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1587 posts
365 upvotes
My Meridian visa have failed 2+ payment when I tabbed it, but Chip/PIN worked. Anybody had the same issue? Not due to amount exceeding the limit.

Also the card wears out badly. even though I only had it for less than 1 year with light-average use.
Wait until you have kids😂
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15863 posts
21627 upvotes
Vancouver
redflag wrote: My Meridian visa have failed 2+ payment when I tabbed it, but Chip/PIN worked. Anybody had the same issue? Not due to amount exceeding the limit.

Also the card wears out badly. even though I only had it for less than 1 year with light-average use.
I haven't had an issue when tapping. But I agree the physical card itself is junk. It looks like crap after a short time in my wallet. Actually it looks like crap the moment I take it out of its envelope after delivery haha.
Feb 28, 2014
973 posts
1158 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: I haven't had an issue when tapping. But I agree the physical card itself is junk. It looks like crap after a short time in my wallet. Actually it looks like crap the moment I take it out of its envelope after delivery haha.
Ya the cards Collabria prints out does suck. I examined my old Meridian Cashback VI and it looks like someone made a poor scan of the background pic and printed it on a card.

Hell, they still use the older Visa Infinite logo instead of the more modern current logo.
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2005
1090 posts
456 upvotes
ontario
looking for a card that has good travel insurance, specifically cancellation and coverage if we have to stay in our destination (covid). Would this still be the best option for us?
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1587 posts
365 upvotes
karlsberg wrote: thanks, didnt realize the Rogers card has decent coverage.
I haven't studied the full list, but the Meridian Visa still seems pretty damn good(top 3?)
Wait until you have kids😂
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2005
1090 posts
456 upvotes
ontario
redflag wrote: I haven't studied the full list, but the Meridian Visa still seems pretty damn good(top 3?)
I have been looking to that one, no bonuses for sign up I can see though.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7733 posts
4505 upvotes
karlsberg wrote: I have been looking to that one, no bonuses for sign up I can see though.
First year fee free.
Feb 28, 2014
973 posts
1158 upvotes
karlsberg wrote: looking for a card that has good travel insurance, specifically cancellation and coverage if we have to stay in our destination (covid). Would this still be the best option for us?
The Rogers card is pretty good for a no fee card but if you're a more frequent traveller that's looking to have great coverage, the Meridian Cashback Visa Infinite has some of the best coverage and can potentially be well worth the annual fee. It has probably the best travel insurance for a cashback card, often people need to get a travel rewards card to get better travel insurances included.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15863 posts
21627 upvotes
Vancouver
deltatux wrote: The Rogers card is pretty good for a no fee card but if you're a more frequent traveller that's looking to have great coverage, the Meridian Cashback Visa Infinite has some of the best coverage and can potentially be well worth the annual fee. It has probably the best travel insurance for a cashback card, often people need to get a travel rewards card to get better travel insurances included.
I agree, the insurance package is alone worth the $99 annual fee. 4% on groceries and gas is a nice bonus. Heck 4% on gas is saving me 9¢/litre right now.
I got the Scotia Momentum card a month ago on a FYF promo, figured I'd try it out and decide which of the two to keep. It's a no-brainer for me. After Scotia's November cash back payout, that card will be cut up. Meridian wins hands down.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7733 posts
4505 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: I agree, the insurance package is alone worth the $99 annual fee. 4% on groceries and gas is a nice bonus. Heck 4% on gas is saving me 9¢/litre right now.
I got the Scotia Momentum card a month ago on a FYF promo, figured I'd try it out and decide which of the two to keep. It's a no-brainer for me. After Scotia's November cash back payout, that card will be cut up. Meridian wins hands down.
Yes, I agree Meridian is better than Scotia since Scotia only has 4% on grocery, not gas, even though you can buy gas gc from grocery stores.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15863 posts
21627 upvotes
Vancouver
ml88888888 wrote: Yes, I agree Meridian is better than Scotia since Scotia only has 4% on grocery, not gas, even though you can buy gas gc from grocery stores.
A lot of people prefer Scotia because of 4% back on recurring bills, but I discovered that the majority of my recurring bill spending doesn't qualify and only gets 1%. So Meridian for the win.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13450 posts
8826 upvotes
Markham
Kiraly wrote: A lot of people prefer Scotia because of 4% back on recurring bills, but I discovered that the majority of my recurring bill spending doesn't qualify and only gets 1%. So Meridian for the win.
One thing to consider now is gas price is so high that rewards on gas might exceed rewards on recurring bill.
Feb 15, 2018
402 posts
300 upvotes
Hi guys

I just open an account with Meridian online and I would like to apply for Visa Infinite, however I don't have the ability to apply online but jus to call the 1-888 number,
do you have to call to apply or I'm missing something?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)