Credit Cards

[Meridian Visa] 4% cash back on G&G, 2% on Rx&PAP VISA card (First $25,000 in purchase)*No limited time

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2023 8:07 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7677 posts
4482 upvotes
Edmontonian22 wrote: Hi guys

I just open an account with Meridian online and I would like to apply for Visa Infinite, however I don't have the ability to apply online but jus to call the 1-888 number,
do you have to call to apply or I'm missing something?
Yes, You can apply online. Why can’t you do it?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7677 posts
4482 upvotes
Edmontonian22 wrote: I haven't just yet, hence I'm asking the question in this forum
I applied online when i got it 2 yrs ago. Either they removed that or changed it to somewhere else online.
Feb 15, 2018
402 posts
300 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: I applied online when i got it 2 yrs ago. Either they removed that or changed it to somewhere else online.
That is the one million dollars question my friend.
Feb 15, 2018
402 posts
300 upvotes
Edmontonian22 wrote: Hi guys

I just open an account with Meridian online and I would like to apply for Visa Infinite, however I don't have the ability to apply online but jus to call the 1-888 number,
do you have to call to apply or I'm missing something?
Just a follow up to my post.
I called today and the CSR was not aware of this issue (you can not apply online for any Meridian Visa) So after back and forth (The CSR was insisting that "you can apply online" I told her, why don't you see it yourself visit your employers website.
She was "surprise and asked me to wait for a minute.
After ten minutes, she said that Meridian are changing providers for their Visa and they are not accepting any new applications upright.
As to when anyone could apply for their Visa again, "she doesn't know"
Well that is just great, first impression: "They Suck"!!!!
And that is that.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1580 posts
362 upvotes
Edmontonian22 wrote: Just a follow up to my post.
I called today and the CSR was not aware of this issue (you can not apply online for any Meridian Visa) So after back and forth (The CSR was insisting that "you can apply online" I told her, why don't you see it yourself visit your employers website.
She was "surprise and asked me to wait for a minute.
After ten minutes, she said that Meridian are changing providers for their Visa and they are not accepting any new applications upright.
As to when anyone could apply for their Visa again, "she doesn't know"
Well that is just great, first impression: "They Suck"!!!!
And that is that.
Do you know what "changing providers for their visa" mean? I thought Meridian is the bank who is the provider, no?
Wait until you have kids😂
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15796 posts
21525 upvotes
Vancouver
redflag wrote: Do you know what "changing providers for their visa" mean? I thought Meridian is the bank who is the provider, no?
Meridian’s provider is Collabria, who is the issuing partner for nearly all credit unions. AFAIK the only credit union in Canada that does their own credit cards in-house instead of contracting with an external provider is Vancity.

This is bad news IMO. It’s been more than five years since this card was issued and hasn’t been changed since. I’ve been anticipating this card will be nerfed soon, looks like this is step one.
Feb 15, 2018
402 posts
300 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Meridian’s provider is Collabria, who is the issuing partner for nearly all credit unions. AFAIK the only credit union in Canada that does their own credit cards in-house instead of contracting with an external provider is Vancity.

This is bad news IMO. It’s been more than five years since this card was issued and hasn’t been changed since. I’ve been anticipating this card will be nerfed soon, looks like this is step one.
Yes is Collabria.
What it struck me from Meridian is their lack of professionalism, for starters not even a Memo to their employees and make them aware about changes that are about to happen with their credit cards, moreover nothing in Meridan's Website to advice any potential customers, last but not least to the actual customers an email or internal message stating that you can not apply for a credit card (at least for now but with a due date in place)
Their own employees are in the dark as to when one will be able to apply again,
A fifth grade student will be more responsible with a lemonade stand than this clowns.
[OP]
Dec 12, 2016
520 posts
534 upvotes
Edmontonian22 wrote: Yes is Collabria.
What it struck me from Meridian is their lack of professionalism, for starters not even a Memo to their employees and make them aware about changes that are about to happen with their credit cards, moreover nothing in Meridan's Website to advice any potential customers, last but not least to the actual customers an email or internal message stating that you can not apply for a credit card (at least for now but with a due date in place)
Their own employees are in the dark as to when one will be able to apply again,
A fifth grade student will be more responsible with a lemonade stand than this clowns.
I’m betting money that the new provider will be Brim.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2014
5766 posts
7778 upvotes
Rankin Inlet, NU
Kiraly wrote: Meridian’s provider is Collabria, who is the issuing partner for nearly all credit unions. AFAIK the only credit union in Canada that does their own credit cards in-house instead of contracting with an external provider is Vancity.

Desjardins as well.

Coast Capital Credit Union offers an "altered Desjardins" VISA cards.
https://www.coastcapitalsavings.com/day ... edit-cards

Although this sucks, Meridian is the largest credit union in Ontario. It might be opportune time for them to issue their own.
Support your local Credit Union!

Sask Pension Plan Upto $7200/yr in Credit Card spending on RRSP contributions
sask-pension-6000-annually-credit-card- ... ns-2167222
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7677 posts
4482 upvotes

If they are going to cancel this card, they will send letter to card holders soon.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1580 posts
362 upvotes

I am aware of it as I noticed it on various documents from Meridian Visa. However, I don't know why Meridian needs it but big banks (e.g. TD) does not need such an issuing partner.
Wait until you have kids😂
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15796 posts
21525 upvotes
Vancouver
redflag wrote: I am aware of it as I noticed it on various documents from Meridian Visa. However, I don't know why Meridian needs it but big banks (e.g. TD) does not need such an issuing partner.
Even a smallish bank like National Bank still has more than ten times the assets of Vancity, the only credit union in Canada that does its credit cards in-house. Issuing your own credit card requires a lot of capital and assuming all of the risk. That's hard for credit unions which are tiny in comparison to banks. So they contract with an outfit like Collabria. I'm not sure how Brim does it actually.
Dec 3, 2006
246 posts
22 upvotes
They sent me a new card (old one expires this month) and there is no mention of anything changing. Not sure that's worth much, but thought I would share.
Feb 15, 2018
402 posts
300 upvotes
Hey gang

Yesterday I sent a message inquiring about their credit card and what was going on.

The response was that my question was forwarded to a "digital advisor" for a response.
Today I got the response:

1-They will launch a new bunch of credit cards (didn't specify much about it)
2- We will be able to apply for this cards in October
3- And most definitely it will be a new provider, they will not issue those credit cards themselves.

This is what I think and the possibilities.
A- The will partner with Brim and will announce it soon
B-Collabria will make those credit cards for them.

If I was a cardholder I will make a phone call to inquire more about this (come on guys I did the "dirty job" for you, now keep digging)

Cheers.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15796 posts
21525 upvotes
Vancouver
Edmontonian22 wrote: 1-They will launch a new bunch of credit cards (didn't specify much about it)
2- We will be able to apply for this cards in October
3- And most definitely it will be a new provider, they will not issue those credit cards themselves.
Sounds like they stopped at 3 and didn't tell you the last one:
4- The new cards will be way suckier
Sep 10, 2017
119 posts
131 upvotes
I called Collabria regarding the information read on this site. I currently got approved for the Meridian Visa Infinite card, however, any information about Meridian terminating its partnership is being told from the CSR's with Collabria to call Meridian to inquire with them. However, he did reaffirm that there is an end date in place and that the accounts will be closed and not transferred (assuming you have Collabria with another Credit Union). He indicated Meridian will have its own product, although that could mean anything. There is no end date to note as of yet other than to say it will happen.
Sep 10, 2017
119 posts
131 upvotes
After Calling Meridian to inquire, they told me that they were going with another provider (without mentioning who) but also said that the existing accounts would transfer and that you wouldn't need to reapply. However, I'm not sure if that's more hearsay than fact.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)