Credit Cards

[Meridian Visa] 4% cash back on G&G, 2% on Rx&PAP VISA card (First $25,000 in purchase)*No limited time

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 1st, 2022 1:54 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13057 posts
8303 upvotes
Markham
ticat79 wrote: After Calling Meridian to inquire, they told me that they were going with another provider (without mentioning who) but also said that the existing accounts would transfer and that you wouldn't need to reapply. However, I'm not sure if that's more hearsay than fact.
I think that's normal for transition: they will send you new card, you activate and use it.
Sep 27, 2018
13 posts
4 upvotes
Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but how do i request a credit limit increase? Bad timing for this card/likely to reject such a request due to discussed pending changes? Have had the card several years now and first time considering such a request. Limit is $5000.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7438 posts
4339 upvotes
Francis7 wrote: Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere but how do i request a credit limit increase? Bad timing for this card/likely to reject such a request due to discussed pending changes? Have had the card several years now and first time considering such a request. Limit is $5000.
Use a phone, dial the # on the back of the card and wait for someone to answer.
Feb 15, 2018
402 posts
293 upvotes
I called Meridian yesterday for an unrelated thing and I asked them if they knew anything about the new credit cards that will be launched in October.
The representative was trying to read any Memo related to their new credit cards and the only thing she was able to tell me is that the new issuer will be far better than the one they have right now and she was told that Meridian will try to keep the "same rewards" for the Visa card they have right now,
She doesn't even know when this new credit cards will accept new applications exactly (Beginning- Mid or at the end of October) however they will know more in September because so far Meridian executives are tight lips and don't want to give much info not even to their employees.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13057 posts
8303 upvotes
Markham
Edmontonian22 wrote: I called Meridian yesterday for an unrelated thing and I asked them if they knew anything about the new credit cards that will be launched in October.
The representative was trying to read any Memo related to their new credit cards and the only thing she was able to tell me is that the new issuer will be far better than the one they have right now and she was told that Meridian will try to keep the "same rewards" for the Visa card they have right now,
She doesn't even know when this new credit cards will accept new applications exactly (Beginning- Mid or at the end of October) however they will know more in September because so far Meridian executives are tight lips and don't want to give much info not even to their employees.
Probably same benefits and 120 annual fee
Feb 28, 2014
964 posts
1141 upvotes
Edmontonian22 wrote: I called Meridian yesterday for an unrelated thing and I asked them if they knew anything about the new credit cards that will be launched in October.
smartie wrote: Probably same benefits and 120 annual fee
To give them credit, when they switched from CUETS to Collabria, their cards did actually get much better, better rewards and everything compared to their old MasterCard offering.

Now, the question is, are the credit accounts going to transfer to the new provider since previously with CUETS, if you held a Meridian CUETS MC, you had to reapply for the Meridian Collabria Visa.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
3026 posts
2837 upvotes
Guelph
deltatux wrote: To give them credit, when they switched from CUETS to Collabria, their cards did actually get much better, better rewards and everything compared to their old MasterCard offering.

Now, the question is, are the credit accounts going to transfer to the new provider since previously with CUETS, if you held a Meridian CUETS MC, you had to reapply for the Meridian Collabria Visa.
The CUETS credit accounts were held by CUETS themselves, that's why you had to re-apply.

When Meridian switches from Collabria to a new company existing clients won't have to re-apply since the agreement between Meridian and Collabria saw Meridian hold all the credit card accounts, and loan liability, Collabria just provided the administrative support (collecting payments, operating the call centre, etc.)
Feb 15, 2018
402 posts
293 upvotes
jacnel wrote: The CUETS credit accounts were held by CUETS themselves, that's why you had to re-apply.

When Meridian switches from Collabria to a new company existing clients won't have to re-apply since the agreement between Meridian and Collabria saw Meridian hold all the credit card accounts, and loan liability, Collabria just provided the administrative support (collecting payments, operating the call centre, etc.)
That is correct, that's what the CSR told me, although she said: "Meridian will make every effort to continue the same or better service to the actual cardholders without reapplying for their Visa cards"

I guess we will find out next month.
Feb 15, 2018
402 posts
293 upvotes
OK guys finally some news:
https://www.meridiancu.ca/personal/cred ... -visa-card

A new credit card experience coming soon

Enhanced customer experience online, in person, or over the phone
MyCardInfo will be replaced with eZCard, an enhanced member portal designed to help you manage your credit cards simply, securely, and effectively.

Automatically lock or unlock your Meridian Visa* card if it’s misplaced (without having to report it stolen or lost).
Find a specific transaction with enhanced keyword search.
Dispute or query transactions online.

Meridian Visa Infinite* Travel Rewards Card

Earn 6 points for every $2 on purchases in foreign currencies (previously 3 points for every $1)
Earn 3 points for every $2 spent on all other purchases (previously 1.5 points for every $1)

Feb 15, 2018
402 posts
293 upvotes
Last but not least some important info:

As of October 9, 2022, Collabria will no longer issue or manage your Meridian Visa credit card. Meridian will assume a new role as a direct issuer under Visa, taking control of card servicing and operations.

In early October, you will receive a replacement Visa card in the mail, along with all the information you need to activate the card with one simple phone call.

September 6: Additional services associated with your current card will be paused between September 6 and October 10 (e.g., credit limit increases and product switches).

October 6: Rewards redemption on your current card will be paused from October 6 to 10. Accumulated points will transfer to your account by October 31.

October 7: Your embedded insurance provider will change, with enhancements to some coverages. Review the Notice of Insurance Change.

October 7: MyCardInfo will be disabled on October 7 and will be replaced with eZCard on October 9.

October 9: Your grace period will change from 25 days to 21 days. Review the full Visa Disclosure Statement.

October 9: Your old card will stop working on October 9. Make sure to activate your new card starting October 9 after 8 a.m.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13057 posts
8303 upvotes
Markham
Edmontonian22 wrote: OK guys finally some news:

MyCardInfo will be replaced with eZCard, an enhanced member portal designed to help you manage your credit cards simply, securely, and effectively.

Automatically lock or unlock your Meridian Visa* card if it’s misplaced (without having to report it stolen or lost).

Earn 6 points for every $2 on purchases in foreign currencies (previously 3 points for every $1)
Earn 3 points for every $2 spent on all other purchases (previously 1.5 points for every $1)

Thanks

Is this infinite travel a new card along with infinite cash back or replace current cash back?
Feb 28, 2014
964 posts
1141 upvotes
smartie wrote: Thanks

Is this infinite travel a new card along with infinite cash back or replace current cash back?
In the Legal Agreements and Documents page, it suggests that the Meridian Cashback Visa Infinite card will still exist after the change rolls out in October. Here's the new certificate of insurance for the Cashback Visa Infinite effective October 7: https://www.meridiancu.ca/getmedia/f67b ... h-Back.pdf

The travel card had always existed but comes with the new earn rate. Here's the new certificate of insurance of the travel card: https://www.meridiancu.ca/getmedia/c48b ... ewards.pdf

Looks like they're changing the travel insurer from Desjardins to American Bankers Insurance Company of Florida

EDIT: Here's a list of changes to the insurances for these cards: https://www.meridiancu.ca/getmedia/657c ... 2022-1.pdf

EDIT2: It looks like the annual fees are NOT changing either: https://www.meridiancu.ca/getmedia/2289 ... rsonal.pdf

EDIT3: There's seems to be no updated to the Rewards Terms & Conditions, so I think it's safe to say that the Cashback VI's rewards will be kept as is come October.
Last edited by deltatux on Aug 31st, 2022 2:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Feb 28, 2014
964 posts
1141 upvotes
Edmontonian22 wrote: OK guys finally some news:

Looks like Meridian is taking the same route as Vancity by issuing the cards themselves. I think this is a good thing, the biggest issue I had with Meridian's credit cards has always been that Meridian had great customer service but Collabria's customer service sucked.

Hopefully with the switch, customer service is much better.

I wished Meridian did a better job announcing the change, as the way it's laid out, it sounds like they replaced all their cards with those 2 cards above but looking at the Legal agreements, all the cards seem to be staying the same except those 2 cards.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15308 posts
20666 upvotes
Vancouver
Meridian is not saying what the earn rate on the Cash Back Visa Infinite will be. They've announced the basic Cash Back card, and the Travel Rewards Infinite card. The lack of info on the CBI has me thinking the news isn't going to be good.
OTOH, they do say this in the FAQ so maybe it'll be OK after all: Cardholders of the new Meridian Visa will now benefit from the same high-quality service they’ve come to expect from Meridian. The new card will have the same great product features, including rewards and the number of cards.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1497 posts
335 upvotes
I hope the insurance benefit won't be watered down too much. Will read more details.
Wait until you have kids😂
Apr 18, 2004
275 posts
463 upvotes
Edmontonian22 wrote:

Correct me if I am wrong but it looks to me like they have found a way to award slightly less points to their cardholders. By making it "for every $2" you won't get any points that fall in between. For example if your statement balance is $101 you'll only get points for the $100.
Feb 15, 2018
402 posts
293 upvotes
rewardscanada wrote: Correct me if I am wrong but it looks to me like they have found a way to award slightly less points to their cardholders. By making it "for every $2" you won't get any points that fall in between. For example if your statement balance is $101 you'll only get points for the $100.
Consumers are very smart in Canada, some don't care some others are sloppy, however people who care about their money are not easily fool by corporations or banks.
The other day I have asked hem a few questions in Facebook private messaging system, one question was if they are going to discontinue the Visa Elite cash back? So far no response, not even an automatic response acknowledging that someone will respond soon.
I find this Credit Union poorly run, I won't trust them with a hundred dollars, let alone a hundred thousand dollars but hey, there are colors in this rainbow for every taste.
Feb 28, 2014
964 posts
1141 upvotes
Edmontonian22 wrote: Consumers are very smart in Canada, some don't care some others are sloppy, however people who care about their money are not easily fool by corporations or banks.
The other day I have asked hem a few questions in Facebook private messaging system, one question was if they are going to discontinue the Visa Elite cash back? So far no response, not even an automatic response acknowledging that someone will respond soon.
I find this Credit Union poorly run, I won't trust them with a hundred dollars, let alone a hundred thousand dollars but hey, there are colors in this rainbow for every taste.
Considering that they list it in the card disclosure effective October 9, 2022, that the Meridian Cashback Visa Infinite has a $99/year fee, no it's not being discontinued.

https://www.meridiancu.ca/getmedia/2289 ... rsonal.pdf

Meridian could have made the web page a lot more clear but I'm leaning towards that only 2 cards are changing come October, all other cards are staying the same.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13057 posts
8303 upvotes
Markham
deltatux wrote: Considering that they list it in the card disclosure effective October 9, 2022, that the Meridian Cashback Visa Infinite has a $99/year fee, no it's not being discontinued.

https://www.meridiancu.ca/getmedia/2289 ... rsonal.pdf

Meridian could have made the web page a lot more clear but I'm leaning towards that only 2 cards are changing come October, all other cards are staying the same.
So basically they will open to apply online on October 9th?
May 12, 2019
524 posts
974 upvotes
I'm expecting to hit my 30k cap on Cobalt in ~60 days, is this going to be making a comeback between now and then? Need something for Grocery modifier and am banned from Scotia....

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)