Credit Cards

[Meridian Visa] 4% cash back on G&G, 2% on Rx&PAP VISA card (First $25,000 in purchase)*No limited time

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2023 8:07 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3729 posts
417 upvotes
So much info here, someone just please tell me if I should drop my Scotia momentum infinite for this?

My yearly cash back from the infinite is about $1000-$1200.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1587 posts
365 upvotes
Cheapmaestro wrote: I'm expecting to hit my 30k cap on Cobalt in ~60 days, is this going to be making a comeback between now and then? Need something for Grocery modifier and am banned from Scotia....
MNBA RWE?
Wait until you have kids😂
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1587 posts
365 upvotes
Edmontonian22 wrote: OK guys finally some news:
https://www.meridiancu.ca/personal/cred ... -visa-card

A new credit card experience coming soon

Enhanced customer experience online, in person, or over the phone
MyCardInfo will be replaced with eZCard, an enhanced member portal designed to help you manage your credit cards simply, securely, and effectively.

Automatically lock or unlock your Meridian Visa* card if it’s misplaced (without having to report it stolen or lost).
Find a specific transaction with enhanced keyword search.
Dispute or query transactions online.

Meridian Visa Infinite* Travel Rewards Card

Earn 6 points for every $2 on purchases in foreign currencies (previously 3 points for every $1)
Earn 3 points for every $2 spent on all other purchases (previously 1.5 points for every $1)

I hope they can do a much better job for the card quality. I kind of like the dark blue color for the CBVI (asssuming it is the one)
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1587 posts
365 upvotes
Cheapmaestro wrote: Maybe but I just got AMWE
Sorry what is AMWE? Does it also have 5% multiplier for grocery purchases? If so, you have got a solution, right?
Feb 28, 2014
973 posts
1158 upvotes
smartie wrote: So basically they will open to apply online on October 9th?
Likely but again, they're lacking a lot of details on their promo page, a lot of this info is from the legal documents that they've posted.
May 12, 2019
529 posts
988 upvotes
redflag wrote: I hope they can do a much better job for the card quality. I kind of like the dark blue color for the CBVI (asssuming it is the one)
Alaska Miles World Elite, it's a churn card I want to go to Japan when it reopens
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15862 posts
21627 upvotes
Vancouver
Cheapmaestro wrote: I'm expecting to hit my 30k cap on Cobalt in ~60 days, is this going to be making a comeback between now and then? Need something for Grocery modifier and am banned from Scotia....
How did you get banned from Scotiabank?
May 12, 2019
529 posts
988 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: How did you get banned from Scotiabank?
Manufactured spending. And to be more technical, idk if I'm actually banned from Scotiabank. But I did get my Gold Amex card shutdown a few months back. I might try again soon :D
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7733 posts
4505 upvotes
Rockstead wrote: So much info here, someone just please tell me if I should drop my Scotia momentum infinite for this?

It is not open to apply new card from Meridian. If it is the same reward rate on the new Meridian card when it reopens for new application, then yes since Meridian includes 4% for gas while Scotia only gives 2% for gas.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15862 posts
21627 upvotes
Vancouver
Rockstead wrote: So much info here, someone just please tell me if I should drop my Scotia momentum infinite for this?

Meridian has:
4% groceries and gas
2% utility bills including phone and internet
2% drugstore

Scotia cuts the gas to 2% but throws in transit
Scotia adds 4% recurring bill
Drugstore is just 1%

It's fairly even, so the better one depends largely on your balance of spending between recurring bills and gas.
But Meridian's insurance package is better, its redemption is better (redeem any time $50/up instead of waiting all year) and its AF is lower ($99 vs $120)
For me, Meridian is the clear winner over Scotia.
Deal Addict
Apr 25, 2019
1032 posts
1768 upvotes
YXE, Sask.
The No AF CB Card changes:
Meridian Visa Cash Back Card

Earn 2 points for every $2 spent on gas, groceries, pharmacy, utility bill payments (previously 1 point for every $1)
Earn 1 point for every $2 spent on all other purchases (previously 0.5 points for every $1)
Basically the same but now the CB is paid out every $2.
Koodo BF 2022 $30 20 GB ($25 for first 5 months!)
Samsung Galaxy A53 owner.
Deal Addict
Aug 9, 2013
3286 posts
808 upvotes
Toronto
That's for no annual fee card? That's basically their current platinum cashback which has an annual fee of $49.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
3066 posts
2910 upvotes
Guelph
Kiraly wrote: Meridian is not saying what the earn rate on the Cash Back Visa Infinite will be. They've announced the basic Cash Back card, and the Travel Rewards Infinite card. The lack of info on the CBI has me thinking the news isn't going to be good.
OTOH, they do say this in the FAQ so maybe it'll be OK after all: Cardholders of the new Meridian Visa will now benefit from the same high-quality service they’ve come to expect from Meridian. The new card will have the same great product features, including rewards and the number of cards.
I feel like Meridian may have devalued the Cash Back Infinite in half. I say that because, assuming that each reward point is worth half a cent and the earn rates for the Cash Back Infinite don't change, then the actual earn rate for the card is cut in half.

It's why the no-fee card went from earning one point on groceries to two, to keep the same 1%/0.5% earn rate.

Of course given that nothing else has been discussed about this card, maybe Meridian is keeping the same earn rate? Idk I can't say.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
3066 posts
2910 upvotes
Guelph
deltatux wrote: Looks like Meridian is taking the same route as Vancity by issuing the cards themselves. I think this is a good thing, the biggest issue I had with Meridian's credit cards has always been that Meridian had great customer service but Collabria's customer service sucked.

Hopefully with the switch, customer service is much better.

I wished Meridian did a better job announcing the change, as the way it's laid out, it sounds like they replaced all their cards with those 2 cards above but looking at the Legal agreements, all the cards seem to be staying the same except those 2 cards.
I agree Collabria can be such a shitty card issuer. Plus their changes to their rewards programme last year really devalued their product line up. I don't like the basic Collabria Cash Back card. 2% back on gas is nice, but 1% back on "entertainment" and 0.5% on everything else including groceries? I just don't see much value to the card anymore (and it's why I basically never use it).

As for their customer service, Collabria is very hit and miss. For a company dealing exclusively with credit unions they need to do better.

Regardless, Meridian deciding to issue credit cards directly themselves is a good thing. It gets rid of the hassle of dealing with two different companies for the same card, and will provide a better member experience long term. I hope that with Meridian getting into the credit card business that other credit unions join them, but I don't think Central 1 wants CUs to drop Collabria.

Oh also Meridian better not change card issuers anymore because three different issuers in 10 years is a great way to lose customers.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15862 posts
21627 upvotes
Vancouver
jacnel wrote: I feel like Meridian may have devalued the Cash Back Infinite in half. I say that because, assuming that each reward point is worth half a cent and the earn rates for the Cash Back Infinite don't change, then the actual earn rate for the card is cut in half.

It's why the no-fee card went from earning one point on groceries to two, to keep the same 1%/0.5% earn rate.

Of course given that nothing else has been discussed about this card, maybe Meridian is keeping the same earn rate? Idk I can't say.
Well they better not cut the value of a point. I currently have 11,000 redeemable for $110, I don't want that to suddenly be cut to $55 without warning.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2017
3066 posts
2910 upvotes
Guelph
Kiraly wrote: Well they better not cut the value of a point. I currently have 11,000 redeemable for $110, I don't want that to suddenly be cut to $55 without warning.
At the very least I'd hope that they would, if they devalue points, top up your points account so that you have the same amount of value as you did before the switch over. I know that in Ontario it's illegal for points programmes to devalue an existing customers point balance without first topping up their account to have the same value of points overall, but since this is the area of federal jurisdiction (credit cards) idk if this protection carries over.
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13450 posts
8826 upvotes
Markham
How does this two dollars thing work? For example, "Earn 3 points for every $2 spent on all other purchases ", if I purchase 1.99, no points? Or proportional of 3 points?
Deal Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
7733 posts
4505 upvotes
smartie wrote: How does this two dollars thing work? For example, "Earn 3 points for every $2 spent on all other purchases ", if I purchase 1.99, no points? Or proportional of 3 points?
It is usually rounded down. So nothing for < $2.