Credit Cards

[Meridian Visa] 4% cash back on G&G, 2% on Rx&PAP VISA card (First $25,000 in purchase)*No limited time

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 28th, 2023 8:07 pm
Tags:
None
Jun 8, 2020
40 posts
67 upvotes
ml88888888 wrote: It is usually rounded down. So nothing for < $2.
And that’s exactly how Meridian will save money
Feb 28, 2014
971 posts
1153 upvotes
Kiraly wrote:
Well they better not cut the value of a point. I currently have 11,000 redeemable for $110, I don't want that to suddenly be cut to $55 without warning.
jacnel wrote:
At the very least I'd hope that they would, if they devalue points, top up your points account so that you have the same amount of value as you did before the switch over. I know that in Ontario it's illegal for points programmes to devalue an existing customers point balance without first topping up their account to have the same value of points overall, but since this is the area of federal jurisdiction (credit cards) idk if this protection carries over.
The only thing that Meridian has stated in the mail they sent out is that the changes are largely about changing the card issuer and that you won't lose your points. No hints about devaluation of points, even in the Rewards T&C documents found on their website.

As for the Ontario rules, well Meridian exists as a Ontario entity as they're not a federal credit union, so I think they would be subjected to Ontario rules...
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15817 posts
21554 upvotes
Vancouver
Confusing wording my in a mailer I received from Meridian today. There will be a small change in the earn rate structure with no real impact to the Meridian Visa Cash Back Card and the Meridian Visa Travel Rewards Card.
What does that mean? Restructuring of the points earning rates won’t have a real impact to those two cards, but it might to other cards like the Cash Back Infinite? Or is the points earn structure changing just for those two cards “with no real impact” and not for any of the others? It’s easy to read that both ways.
Feb 15, 2018
402 posts
300 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Confusing wording my in a mailer I received from Meridian today. There will be a small change in the earn rate structure with no real impact to the Meridian Visa Cash Back Card and the Meridian Visa Travel Rewards Card.
What does that mean? Restructuring of the points earning rates won’t have a real impact to those two cards, but it might to other cards like the Cash Back Infinite? Or is the points earn structure changing just for those two cards “with no real impact” and not for any of the others? It’s easy to read that both ways.
Why don't you give them a call and share with us the outcome?
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1584 posts
362 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Confusing wording my in a mailer I received from Meridian today. There will be a small change in the earn rate structure with no real impact to the Meridian Visa Cash Back Card and the Meridian Visa Travel Rewards Card.
I interpreted it this way "there is no change for the Meridian Cash Back Infinite card" Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Wait until you have kids😂
Feb 28, 2014
971 posts
1153 upvotes
I think they're referring to the per $2 spent. As much as I like Meridian, I really hate the way they are rolling out this card launch. They're not giving anyone really much info. The fact that the mailer didn't include the earning rate change details on the basic cashback card and the Meridian Travel Visa Infinite is annoying to say the least.
Feb 15, 2018
402 posts
300 upvotes
After a week asking the a couple questions in Facebook, they get back to me saying:
The Visa infinite cash back will be maintained once you receive a new card it won't need to be activated. You'll receive mail with instructions.

No specifics about changes.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15817 posts
21554 upvotes
Vancouver
Edmontonian22 wrote: The Visa infinite cash back will be maintained once you receive a new card it won't need to be activated. You'll receive mail with instructions.
I don't even understand what that is supposed to mean. Best guess is that you can toss your new card when you receive it and continue using the old one? Meridian really needs to work on their member communications.
Feb 15, 2018
402 posts
300 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: I don't even understand what that is supposed to mean. Best guess is that you can toss your new card when you receive it and continue using the old one? Meridian really needs to work on their member communications.
We are a month away to find out, but you are right, their communication sucks, if I was the CEO I will fire mostly if not all of the PR department
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1584 posts
362 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: I don't even understand what that is supposed to mean. Best guess is that you can toss your new card when you receive it and continue using the old one? Meridian really needs to work on their member communications.
I will definitely toss the old card. It is ugly and it is the worse-quality cc I have ever got.

Second you guys on the second point.
Nov 10, 2007
335 posts
118 upvotes
I reached out to a friend who works at Meridian. Nothing changes for the cash back infinite visa (and the other cards). Only the two named cards on the website and in the mailer "Meridian Visa Cash Back Card and the Meridian Visa Travel Rewards Card", are the only ones changing their rewards structure as listed on the website.

I fully agree that whoever wrote that contradictory sentence needs to be fired. I could not for the life of me make sense of it. I think this was the worst piece of communication I've ever received from a FI.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15817 posts
21554 upvotes
Vancouver
magmadragon wrote: I fully agree that whoever wrote that contradictory sentence needs to be fired. I could not for the life of me make sense of it. I think this was the worst piece of communication I've ever received from a FI.
This one from Meridian's social media team is even worse: The Visa infinite cash back will be maintained once you receive a new card it won't need to be activated. You'll receive mail with instructions. WTF is that even supposed to mean??
Nov 10, 2007
335 posts
118 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: This one from Meridian's social media team is even worse: The Visa infinite cash back will be maintained once you receive a new card it won't need to be activated. You'll receive mail with instructions. WTF is that even supposed to mean??
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2002
3729 posts
416 upvotes
What’s the best sign up promotion right now for the Meridian? I’m switching over from the Visa Momentum Infinite.

In the past I remember there could be $100 gift cards, anything like that?
Feb 15, 2018
402 posts
300 upvotes
Rockstead wrote: What’s the best sign up promotion right now for the Meridian? I’m switching over from the Visa Momentum Infinite.

In the past I remember there could be $100 gift cards, anything like that?
Maybe you are not aware but Meridian is in transition right now and not taking any applications until later on this month.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
1584 posts
362 upvotes
Got this in the email just now - Meridian will get a lot of calls from confused customers!

"important note
Your replacement card is a special, one-time reissue. As a result, the accompanying information page will show, by default, a credit limit of $0.00. Rest assured; your new Meridian Visa will have the same credit limit as your old one. If you’re unsure of your limit, you can find it on any of your past or upcoming credit card statements."
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
13429 posts
8793 upvotes
Markham
redflag wrote: Got this in the email just now - Meridian will get a lot of calls from confused customers!

"important note
Your replacement card is a special, one-time reissue. As a result, the accompanying information page will show, by default, a credit limit of $0.00. Rest assured; your new Meridian Visa will have the same credit limit as your old one. If you’re unsure of your limit, you can find it on any of your past or upcoming credit card statements."
I hope they won't mess up conversion
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8868 posts
5129 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
smartie wrote: I hope they won't mess up conversion
Based on above they will most certainly do.

Even more confusing then NBC.
2022: BOC raised 8 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)