Credit Cards

[Meridian Visa] 4% cash back on G&G, 2% on Rx&PAP VISA card (First $25,000 in purchase)*No limited time

• Last Updated:
  • Jan 27th, 2024 8:16 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9756 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
redflag wrote: Just got an email from the COO

"...We want you to know that we are working as fast as we can with our partners to resolve the outstanding issues that continue to affect some cardholders (i.e., the inability to change card PINs and transactions occasionally appearing in French at point-of-sale terminals and on receipts).

We expect these issues to be resolved by the end of March and will share another progress update with next steps at the end of February...."
$50 please
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12570 upvotes
Markham
georvu wrote: Hopefully can then apply for card as well. Or at least soon after.
The question is how come COO still has his job
Deal Guru
Feb 4, 2015
10328 posts
6693 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
2022/3: BOC raised 10 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017,2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2117 posts
571 upvotes
A new email update -

I’m pleased to provide another progress update for Members who’ve experienced challenges during the transition to the new Meridian Visa card. We continue to work on a solution to enable PIN changes at Meridian ABMs. PIN change testing is currently underway with our partners and, once testing is complete and a solution finalized, details and instructions on how to change your PIN will be shared on our dedicated Visa web page and in our branches.

If you’ve been negatively impacted by French language at point-of-sale terminals and on receipts, you’ll be invited by email to request a replacement card beginning this spring. This card replacement will be voluntary.

As always, we remain committed to full transparency. Thank you for your continued patience and for giving us the opportunity to restore your confidence in Meridian Visa and earn back your trust.
I am not evil; I just live another way
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19723 posts
28591 upvotes
Vancouver
redflag wrote: A new email update -

I’m pleased to provide another progress update for Members who’ve experienced challenges during the transition to the new Meridian Visa card. We continue to work on a solution to enable PIN changes at Meridian ABMs.
Only at Meridian ABMs. Too bad the closest one is about 3,500km away.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2117 posts
571 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: Only at Meridian ABMs. Too bad the closest one is about 3,500km away.
LoL, sounds like a reason to travel

I can't believe people need to request a new card only to get the default language switching back to English. IT gurus, please tell me this is a switch of code.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12570 upvotes
Markham
redflag wrote: LoL, sounds like a reason to travel

I can't believe people need to request a new card only to get the default language switching back to English. IT gurus, please tell me this is a switch of code.
After 3 months, you will be invited for replacement so you can change PIN. After another 3 months, you will be invited for replacement to receive E statements......
Deal Guru
Aug 24, 2016
11665 posts
14020 upvotes
Win-ter-peg
smartie wrote: After 3 months, you will be invited for replacement so you can change PIN. After another 3 months, you will be invited for replacement to receive E statements......
and then after 6 months, you'll be invited to receive an increase in your annual fee, to pay for all the credit cards they had to send you :lol:
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19723 posts
28591 upvotes
Vancouver
I just cancelled the card after five years with it. I asked for an annual fee waiver (never asked before) but they said no. Felt kinda sad to cancel it given how much I had to fight to get it, but it's time to move on.
Deal Guru
Jan 19, 2017
10048 posts
6145 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: I just cancelled the card after five years with it. I asked for an annual fee waiver (never asked before) but they said no. Felt kinda sad to cancel it given how much I had to fight to get it, but it's time to move on.
What changed your mind to walk away after 5 yrs?
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19723 posts
28591 upvotes
Vancouver
ml88888888 wrote: What changed your mind to walk away after 5 yrs?
  1. I was really hoping after the changeover from Collabria that they’d support automatic payment. But they still don’t. I just made my 60th manual payment.
  2. No PIN changes are possible. They’ve said that’s coming soon, but only to Meridian ATMs and the nearest one is 4,000 km away.
  3. Since I got Amex Cobalt I’m only using the card at No Frills. I can use CTFS WE there instead and only get 1% less, and save the annual fee.
  4. Gas I’m now using gift cards I buy at Save On Foods with Amex Cobalt.
  5. I have no plans to fly for the rest of 2023 so won’t make use of the travel insurance package. If I do end up traveling, the TD card I am churning will cover me.
  6. The mobile device and other extended warranty coverage I had on stuff I bought with the card has all expired now.
  7. My annual fee just posted and I wasn’t expecting to get enough value from the card over the next year to pay it. So…bye!
Nov 10, 2014
172 posts
94 upvotes
Windsor, ON
Breaking news: Meridian Visa Prevents new applications because its office is a Gongshow hot mess

Definition of a gongshow: An event that involves a lot of people that don't know what's going on, usually chaotic.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19723 posts
28591 upvotes
Vancouver
truepatriotlove wrote: Breaking news: Meridian Visa Prevents new applications because its office is a Gongshow hot mess

Definition of a gongshow: An event that involves a lot of people that don't know what's going on, usually chaotic.
This isn't breaking news. Applications for Meridian Visa cards have been suspended for 8 months. Nothing new to see here.
Do you have any other insider info or a link if there's anything specific about this "Gongshow hot mess"?
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
19723 posts
28591 upvotes
Vancouver
Avenger wrote: What's the next best card? I'm tired of dealing with this nonsense.
The closest cash back equivalents are:
CIBC Dividend Visa Infinite, 4% grocery and gas, 2% restaurant, 1% other. $120 AF.
Scotiabank Momentum Visa Infinte, 4% on recurring bills and grocery, 2% gas stations and transit, 1% other. $120 AF.
American Express Cobalt, 5% grocery and restaurant, 3% streaming, 2% travel and transit, 1% other. $156 AF.

If gas is an important accelerator category for you and you're not so hot on the CIBC card, you can buy gas gift cards from the grocery store using your Scotia Momentum or Amex Cobalt card and level up your gas rewards to grocery level.
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2117 posts
571 upvotes
Kiraly wrote:
  1. I was really hoping after the changeover from Collabria that they’d support automatic payment. But they still don’t. I just made my 60th manual payment.
  2. No PIN changes are possible. They’ve said that’s coming soon, but only to Meridian ATMs and the nearest one is 4,000 km away.
  3. Since I got Amex Cobalt I’m only using the card at No Frills. I can use CTFS WE there instead and only get 1% less, and save the annual fee.
  4. Gas I’m now using gift cards I buy at Save On Foods with Amex Cobalt.
  5. I have no plans to fly for the rest of 2023 so won’t make use of the travel insurance package. If I do end up traveling, the TD card I am churning will cover me.
  6. The mobile device and other extended warranty coverage I had on stuff I bought with the card has all expired now.
  7. My annual fee just posted and I wasn’t expecting to get enough value from the card over the next year to pay it. So…bye!
How did you liquidate all your points ?
Deal Fanatic
Feb 1, 2006
6494 posts
2490 upvotes
Ontario
truepatriotlove wrote: Breaking news: Meridian Visa Prevents new applications because its office is a Gongshow hot mess

Kiraly wrote: This isn't breaking news. Applications for Meridian Visa cards have been suspended for 8 months. Nothing new to see here.
Do you have any other insider info or a link if there's anything specific about this "Gongshow hot mess"?
So they haven't been taking Visa applications for 8 months?

Guess that's why I don't see anywhere to apply on their Visa pages. Strange...

I was considering their WE card as a replacement for my nerfed HSBC WE.
Cards:HSBC WE MC 1.5%/3% travel 0 FX MC acceptance 31 day med AF $49
CTC WE MC 3% grocery, 3.54% CTC, RA, billpay, AF $0
MBNA RWE 5.4% grocery/resto
Bank: EQ (1.5%)
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2003
2117 posts
571 upvotes
Kiraly wrote: The closest cash back equivalents are:
CIBC Dividend Visa Infinite, 4% grocery and gas, 2% restaurant, 1% other. $120 AF.
Scotiabank Momentum Visa Infinte, 4% on recurring bills and grocery, 2% gas stations and transit, 1% other. $120 AF.
American Express Cobalt, 5% grocery and restaurant, 3% streaming, 2% travel and transit, 1% other. $156 AF.

If gas is an important accelerator category for you and you're not so hot on the CIBC card, you can buy gas gift cards from the grocery store using your Scotia Momentum or Amex Cobalt card and level up your gas rewards to grocery level.
Another one - Scotiabank Gold American Express® Card, 5x-6x Scene+ points on grocery and restaurant , $120 AF, no No foreign transaction fees
Deal Fanatic
Jan 6, 2004
8495 posts
2740 upvotes
Milton
redflag wrote: Another one - Scotiabank Gold American Express® Card, 5x-6x Scene+ points on grocery and restaurant , $120 AF, no No foreign transaction fees
Does Scotia still take days to post transactions? I left them years ago in favour of Meridian because transactions took a long time to show.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)