mesh or another router

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 3rd, 2019 11:33 pm
Tags:
Jul 3, 2009
338 posts
59 upvotes

mesh or another router

I want to improve wifi in my bedroom, and currently my router sits about 18 meters away with a door and a few walls in between. I understand 5G does not penetrate wall well, so I have always been using 2.4G.

I was using RT-N66U for a while, but it became unstable in the past few months, I feel my RT-N66U is no longer good.

My current router is Asus RT-N16 with power boosted to 60mw. It is extremely reliable using tomatousb, but do not believe I can boost more wifi power.

I have looked into using mesh , for example tplink deco M5, however I read it using 5G to communicate between the nodes, so I feel it won't help in my case.

I have used powerline adapter, but found them they are not stable, I tried Trendent 406E and 308, from the review I see online, do not see a reliable product.

When I look into a new router, I found most of them have great speed on 5G, so really out of an idea what is the best solution in my case.
4 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
I was skeptical of mesh. But I have fully embraced it now .
At one point I was using aimesh from Asus but got rid of it. So far I have been very happy with my amplifi system

If you can get Ethernet backhaul to work, then u don't have to worry about using some of your bandwidth for the wireless backhaul

Meshs handoffs aren't perfect from node to nod, but by God are they better then running a router and multiple ap.
Last edited by r1lee on Aug 3rd, 2019 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
16514 posts
3319 upvotes
I think a mesh system with a dedicated channel for wireless backhaul would alleviate the performance concern, if an ethernet backhaul was not possible.

I'm happy with my Synology RT2600AC/MR2200AC combo.
Blacklisted companies: Roku, Lenovo, Motorola, TP-Link, D-Link, Samsung, HP, LG, Public Mobile, EVGA, Blizzard
Jul 3, 2009
338 posts
59 upvotes
Thanks

I would go with mesh if I can get reliable Ethernet , however powerline connection is not stable

And wireless backhaul is using 5G , I think it would have issue going through door/wall
Deal Fanatic
Jan 17, 2003
8993 posts
1532 upvotes
hpad06 wrote: Thanks

I would go with mesh if I can get reliable Ethernet , however powerline connection is not stable

And wireless backhaul is using 5G , I think it would have issue going through door/wall
Why would you? Wireless backhaul is fine.

I think you shouldn't doubt it before you try it.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)