None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2012
1171 posts
202 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH

Mess up at Car Wash

OK this was my first wash at esso. Asked the cashier, he said its easy> follow the prompt.
Punched the code> entered> felt underneath got washed/sprayed with jet> but got lost as there was no display to show what do i do next> moved forward> blue arm circled around and sprayed soap> silence> thought should move forward> while moving forward very very slowly blue arm/sprayer started as well (probably to spray water)> 'just touched' the car and stopped> i backed up> arm no longer moving> cashier came in> tried to rerun and failed> asked me to leave> told noted my number> will call tech> my insurance will have to cover if any damage/claim arises.
I am completely lost. there was no display which ask to follow the next step as i could see in youtube videos.
What are my chances of getting dinged? what should i be doing now?
57 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6194 posts
4049 upvotes
Toronto
spiderman6 wrote: OK this was my first wash at esso. Asked the cashier, he said its easy> follow the prompt.
Punched the code> entered> felt underneath got washed/sprayed with jet> but got lost as there was no display to show what do i do next> moved forward> blue arm circled around and sprayed soap> silence> thought should move forward> while moving forward very very slowly blue arm/sprayer started as well (probably to spray water)> 'just touched' the car and stopped> i backed up> arm no longer moving> cashier came in> tried to rerun and failed> asked me to leave> told noted my number> will call tech> my insurance will have to cover if any damage/claim arises.
I am completely lost. there was no display which ask to follow the next step as i could see in youtube videos.
What are my chances of getting dinged? what should i be doing now?
Quick get rid of the evidence (dump the car in the lake) and retain a lolyer.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2007
15094 posts
2697 upvotes
You are my new HERO. How do you do that?

Hold on...did the washer bounce off your car or your head?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2012
1171 posts
202 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
to the above two posters: you earned my respect; what a spirit! sir spend your saturday morning on something meaningful instead of 'praising' distressed ppl. everyone has their limitations. i understand you guys are super champs and successful in life who know these simple things like 'driving through the car wash'. however i cannot understand what such champs are doing here in rfd? taking pleasure from bashing ppl instead of helping? good lord!
Deal Fanatic
Sep 5, 2002
6630 posts
963 upvotes
Were you inside or outside your car during the car wash?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 9, 2012
5898 posts
5071 upvotes
Oakville, ON
I don't understand. Did your car get damaged or are you worried that you broke the car wash?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2012
1171 posts
202 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
JohnB wrote: Were you inside or outside your car during the car wash?
was inside.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2501 posts
1606 upvotes
Calgary
The problem is that you have missed the sign where it says that you need to have the car at complete stop during all times once entered the car wash. There is a chance that your car might have hit the sprayer and damaged it. Whenever you enter a car wash they pretty clearly label how to proceed, when to stop etc. Although it will be a first one where they will try to go after your insruance for repair and you have no way of knowing if the washer was broken from the start.
Jul 19, 2014
999 posts
196 upvotes
Snow Road Station, O…
I think the OP backed up in the car wash and damaged the car wash and was asked to leave .
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2012
1171 posts
202 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
CanadianLurker wrote: I don't understand. Did your car get damaged or are you worried that you broke the car wash?
car didnot get damaged. I believe neither the washing arm of esso. it just touched and stopped. i think its automated so stopped immediately when the washer touched the bumper. also the cashier could brought the washer back by pressing switch to original position. he just could not restart as he claimed. may be he is not competent (?); he was extremely busy to come out and fix as the whole esso was full with cars and he was alone at counter.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2012
1171 posts
202 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
masarwar wrote: The problem is that you have missed the sign where it says that you need to have the car at complete stop during all times once entered the car wash. There is a chance that your car might have hit the sprayer and damaged it. Whenever you enter a car wash they pretty clearly label how to proceed, when to stop etc. Although it will be a first one where they will try to go after your insruance for repair and you have no way of knowing if the washer was broken from the start.
there was no electronic display inside the wash with instructions (there was that big one outside asking to stop and punch code and saying go in etc)
Penalty Box
Dec 27, 2013
8003 posts
4031 upvotes
Toronto
Wow only on rfd do people need to watch a YouTube video and read a book before they go to a car wash.

It's as if no one can experience life without a freaking map on life
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
4714 posts
371 upvotes
I think the guy moved his car in a touchless wash as it was still... Washing his car. Why? There's a bright sign that tells you to stop in red until the process is over.

If you are saying there really was no display to tell you this, you better run back to that wash and take as many photos as you can of the wash bay (assuming it was touchless).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2012
1171 posts
202 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Northofseven wrote: I think the OP backed up in the car wash and damaged the car wash and was asked to leave .
i DIDNOT back up. moved forward> sprayer started moving in> touched bumper and stopped> I did not hit the sprayer> spryer touched bumper> i stayed there> cashier took the sprayer back to original position by pressing/trying the switch and it went back easily.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 1, 2012
1171 posts
202 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Lovable wrote: I think the guy moved his car in a touchless wash as it was still... Washing his car. Why? There's a bright sign that tells you to stop in red until the process is over.

If you are saying there really was no display to tell you this, you better run back to that wash and take as many photos as you can of the wash bay (assuming it was touchless).
i wish i did. but the cashier closed the wash part.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
6194 posts
4049 upvotes
Toronto
spiderman6 wrote: i wish i did. but the cashier closed the wash part.
Umm the Esso touch less car washes that I have seen have been remodelled to have huge glass windows that you can take pictures from the outside. But I'm going to hazard to guess that when you go back to the washbay, you will find a nice shiny silver box on the right hand side where the washer arm is parked that would have been giving you instructions had you been paying attention, not to mention there would have been a horn to tell you to stop.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Expert
Jun 23, 2005
25050 posts
202770 upvotes
GTA
There's usually a sign towards the end of the wash bay that you have to look at for directions. There will also be audio clues as well (i.e. when you have moved forward far enough, the sign will tell you to stop, and there will be a sound as well). That being said, I highly doubt the car wash equipment was actually damaged; as you mentioned, the clerk may not have known how to reset it. The safety mechanism likely just shut it down when it touched something, as designed. It's not like you tried to floor it out of there...
Deal Guru
Oct 7, 2010
13474 posts
4364 upvotes
Gosh. Going to a car wash is not rocket science. All you need is the ability to read. Even the gas station attendant can do it.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2967 posts
1515 upvotes
You enter, you stop when it tells you to, you leave when it tells you to. I find it hard to believe there was no sign inside.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)