Tags:
[OP]
Nov 14, 2017
596 posts
846 upvotes
Vancouver

Metal Bedframe suggestions?

Hi all,

I got rid of my nice wood frame full size bed last year to get a larger, free MDF-framed Ikea queen bed. I did this because I got in a serious relationship and my girlfriend was spending lots of time at my house and the full bed was too small for me personally, she is like a furnace and I like to be as far away from her as possible.

Anyways this Ikea bed is slowly disintegrating before my eyes and the amount of times I have had it break on me can not longer be counted by fingers alone. Having sex on it is out of the question and sleeping on it is getting more and more precarious.

So anyone have any good options for cheap, queen size bed frames. Preferably metal, and not something requiring a box spring.
3 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15864 posts
13089 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Not gonna like my answer ...

But overall best bang for your buck would be to buy a traditional steel bed frame and then add a box spring & mattress on top

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/corliv ... 1001122579

After that you can add a headboard if you so like.
Or it will work with some nice complete beds too ...

A good bed frame is an investment cuz it can last a lifetime
And many are adjustable (ie Twin / Double ... or Double / Queen)
They come all apart ... so just a case of storing a few lengths of steel & bolts
Makes them also easy to move if need be

Box Springs are not expensive ... it’s the Mattress that’s the kicker

Other than that ...
Good quality full on metal bed
NOT CHEAP ...
Again it’s a case of you get what you pay for
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
3218 posts
2172 upvotes
Toronto
WTF are you doing to your bed to make it 'disintegrate' before your eyes?

I just dismantled an old IKEA MALM bed (particle board) and replaced it with an IKEA NESTTUN frame because my daughter wanted something white, and I wanted something up on legs. I bought the NESTTUN used for half the price of the new one.

I have a king size KOPARDAL as well. Simple grey metal frame.

The NESTTUN and KOPARDAL both use slats, are simple and indestructible. The KOPARDAL is easy to use without the headboard as it just bolts on. I tossed mine to the curb and posted it as free scrap metal on Kijiji.

The NESTTUN is harder to use without the headboard. You need to jerry rig it with nyloc nuts as the welded-on nuts for the head end of the bed are welded into the headboard insert. But it works - just need a long 10mm box wrench, some 6mm nyloc nuts and washers.

So keep your IKEA slats, get yourself an IKEA metal bedframe and move on.