Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2002
1037 posts
198 upvotes
Oakville

Metal lawn edging?

Has anyone seen metal lawn edging here in Canada that's higher/taller than just 4"?

Im looking for something similar to the picture, that's at least 8-10" high.
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5947 posts
4255 upvotes
I have done something similar with cedar wood
Feb 26, 2019
489 posts
428 upvotes
Ottawa
I’ve been keeping an eye for something like this too. I was planning on trying a metal supply place. I have only done a bit of looking, but seems like there is no off the shelf option in Canada. Curious to hear if anyone has found anything. I’m afraid it might have to be a diy/custom job.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
5947 posts
4255 upvotes
Menthol wrote: I've never seen those but it can be very dangerous if someone falls.
not worse than stairs? Not high enough to need a railing...

and, this is not a path, it's a garden
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1689 posts
781 upvotes
GTA
DoorCrasher wrote: not worse than stairs? Not high enough to need a railing...

and, this is not a path, it's a garden
I think he's meaning if you happen to fall and land on the edge, not step off it.

I can't imagine something like that would last for long in contact with soil. It'll rust over time.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2013
1445 posts
1860 upvotes
Yeah this is dangerous thats why no one is selling these. Use cedar or masonry retraining wall
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
1625 posts
1782 upvotes
West GTA
This isn't THAT dangerous, as long as the edges are rounded a bit and not sharp. If you fell on it it'd leave a welt but it wouldn't cut your leg off or anything. You can also get metal that lasts if you want by using 304 stainless steel, which is very resistant to rusting under normal conditions. Can get this made custom at a metal shop for you. I'd recommend that you get it with a matte finish as high reflectivity is both kind of a pain and reflects, so could burn plants if hit at the right angle. Won't be brown though, would be steel coloured.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Oct 17, 2002
1037 posts
198 upvotes
Oakville
RaphaelG041 wrote: Yeah this is dangerous thats why no one is selling these. Use cedar or masonry retraining wall
Well, they already do sell these - costco, amazon, HD, etc... but here in Canada you can only find 4" heights (the slope that I'm trying the level is just about this height, so I need something just a bit taller). I'm personally looking for more of a sleek/modern look, so this fits better in my plans vs. cedar or masonry.

Seems like there's a manufacturer of this - 'Corten', which does steel edging. Looks like there's a few places that carry them like: https://www.hogtownsheetmetal.com/edgin ... walls.html.

Seems like it's going to be pricy, but I'll try and give them a call later this week.
Deal Addict
Jun 27, 2015
1938 posts
323 upvotes
East York, ON
What would be the cost for this
Do yiu pay the metal pe linear foot or per square foot?
I would be interested in making a small reflection pond using this material
Lots of crazy 💡
Feb 26, 2019
489 posts
428 upvotes
Ottawa
KennyX wrote: Well, they already do sell these - costco, amazon, HD, etc... but here in Canada you can only find 4" heights (the slope that I'm trying the level is just about this height, so I need something just a bit taller). I'm personally looking for more of a sleek/modern look, so this fits better in my plans vs. cedar or masonry.

Seems like there's a manufacturer of this - 'Corten', which does steel edging. Looks like there's a few places that carry them like: https://www.hogtownsheetmetal.com/edgin ... walls.html.

Seems like it's going to be pricy, but I'll try and give them a call later this week.
Nice find. I’d be curious to hear what it costs. It’s a nice look, for sure.

I’m not worried about the “danger” either. I probably wouldn’t run it through a kids playground, but for a typical garden application. I think it’s fine.