• Dec 15th, 2019 9:46 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4086 posts
1961 upvotes
Mississauga

Metallic tasting beef - why?

So I never ever buy any meat from a large grocery store, unless its good quality organic or grass fed. But when I go to someone's house for dinner, I am not going to refuse a meal because of that.
Last sunday I went to my parents for dinner and they made this beef stew in an instant pot. I could really and I mean really taste the metallic taste while eating. When I came home I felt very bloated and then came the runs.
I know this meat came from FreshCo in a cryo pack (sale last week). I never ever experienced that taste with any of the beef I buy. When I asked my parents the next day, they felt fine and they did not taste anything like that.

So my question is... whats with the taste? Where did it come from?
18 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 23, 2004
8537 posts
5426 upvotes
Toronto
Since your parents were fine and had no issues it sounds like you may have a medical issue as only you specifically got sick. I'd go to a doctor rather than asking on RFD in this case
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4086 posts
1961 upvotes
Mississauga
ReeGee wrote: Since your parents were fine and had no issues it sounds like you may have a medical issue as only you specifically got sick. I'd go to a doctor rather than asking on RFD in this case
Not asking why I got sick. Not the issue. I am asking why did the meat taste metallic?
I am thinking it was just sitting in the cryo bag waaaaaaaaaay too long.
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2422 posts
990 upvotes
Toronto
Everybody's taste buds are different. Maybe it tasted like that to you but to everybody else it was fine. Also, you are used to organic, grass fed, etc meats and whatever else food. Now, when you went back to try the regular stuff it tastes different to you. It's like coffee for me. I'm used to really strong coffee now. If I try Tim Hortons again it's not that good but to others who are used to it it's fine.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
Banned
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1415 upvotes
Toronto
I've heard some people say they have a metallic taste from stuff from the instant pot. Of course it could be the beef. Not sure of your gender, but having a metallic taste in my mouth was one of the first signs for me of pregnancy ;)
Apr 4, 2012
545 posts
203 upvotes
Toronto
wirebound wrote: I've heard some people say they have a metallic taste from stuff from the instant pot. Of course it could be the beef. Not sure of your gender, but having a metallic taste in my mouth was one of the first signs for me of pregnancy ;)
My wife would also complain of very strong metallic water flavour when drinking out of stainless steel bottles when pregnant. I noticed that too when I have a cold, will have too see if Instapot meat has the same effect.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4086 posts
1961 upvotes
Mississauga
wirebound wrote: I've heard some people say they have a metallic taste from stuff from the instant pot. Of course it could be the beef. Not sure of your gender, but having a metallic taste in my mouth was one of the first signs for me of pregnancy ;)
Pretty sure we dont have the technology nor medical know how to make this happen in my case just yet haha :)
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1073 upvotes
did your parents taste it?

sounds like you have some medical condition like reegee said. especially since you got sick after
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5845 posts
1169 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote: Cuts like liver or eye of round have high iron contents. Some people like to throw in beef offal jnto stews as it gives a rich taste... and also stewing makes these "ugly" cuts of beef more platable.

That possibly gives a metallic taste.
I think this might be a good explanation. They may have bought a cryovac eye of round roast on sale. High iron cuts like round cuts taste livery.

Also, did they use a wine in the stew? There are metallic tasting wines that can be good (mineral rich soils) or bad (spoilage) that may have added to it.

Only other thing I can think of is you were on antibiotics that can cause some things to taste metallic.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9612 posts
1861 upvotes
Toronto
you may have a taste disorder or some other medical reason why you tasted the metallic flavor and got a possible allergic reaction.
did your parents put anything into the beef stew that originated in a metal can?
When you are accustomed to eating something cleaner like organic for instance, and then eat the stuff pumped with chemicals you may very well taste the difference.
I do not eat stuff from anyone if I did not see them prepare it because their ways of seasoning, hygiene etc may be quite different from mine.
Hypocritical in that I eat restaurant and fast food sometimes, which may be the worst offenders.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2015
1285 posts
529 upvotes
North York, ON
I agree with Post # 10. Another reason may be if your parents used an acidic ingredient in the stew- sometimes leeches metal.
Jan 31, 2019
1 posts
My husband complains of a funny or metallic taste when I cook meals in the instant pot. doesn’t matter if it is beef, chicken or vegetables. All taste funny to him. I did throw rice out the other day because it tasted funny to me as well.
Mar 8, 2019
1 posts
I just made a chicken stew in my instapot and I also noticed a metallic taste.

I dont think it is the meat, I think it was the method of cooking.

I still ate it, but I just think the tomatoes and lemon juice in my stew probably cause the metallic taste.

Honestly, I keep trying the instapot, and I always taste metal, so I am just think it is what happens when using it.
Jul 8, 2019
2 posts
I have bought 4 intsant pots and I have thrown out many meals because of the burnt rubber taste. I have decided to go back to the old way of cooking my soup and stews, on the stove top in my stainless steal. Takes longer but it is healthy.
Jul 8, 2019
2 posts
No, it does not matter what you cook, you will get that taste that. I give up. Spent a lot of money just to wast a lot of food.
Dec 13, 2019
1 posts
It’s because of the antibiotics and non organic hamburger beef. America’s eat industry is nasty. We buy from a meat market fresh and organic. When you are use to something your taste buds will change. The people that are use to the taste won’t taste anything. Believe me nothing is wrong with you Slightly Smiling Face
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27565 posts
13199 upvotes
$10 says "Stew Meat" which is round which is metallic and livery.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45883 posts
8874 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
gh05t wrote: you may have a taste disorder or some other medical reason why you tasted the metallic flavor and got a possible allergic reaction.
did your parents put anything into the beef stew that originated in a metal can?
When you are accustomed to eating something cleaner like organic for instance, and then eat the stuff pumped with chemicals you may very well taste the difference.
I do not eat stuff from anyone if I did not see them prepare it because their ways of seasoning, hygiene etc may be quite different from mine.
Hypocritical in that I eat restaurant and fast food sometimes, which may be the worst offenders.
Daymn...
Thats like when you google “my throat is dry... whats causing this?”

Google medreview.com answer : you might have stage 9 cancer which leads to instant death and paralysis. It might also cause your wiener to fall off. Its recommended you See a medical professional.