• Last Updated:
  • Jun 24th, 2018 9:58 am
[OP]
Mar 12, 2011
267 posts
279 upvotes
Mississauga

Metro @ Cloverdale Mall (Etobicoke) isn't 24/7 anymore

I haven't been to the metro at Cloverdale Mall in Etobicoke for a few months. I just got back in town late last night. I needed to buy some milk / essentials. I pulled up and they had the metro sign on with lights on in the store. The parking lot was dark, which I thought was strange. I walked to the store, tried the door and it was locked. They had a new sign with hours... they now close at 10pm. Did this happen recently or in the last few months?

I tried a few shoppers drug mart's and luckily the one at Cawthra and Burnhamthorpe in Mississauga was open 24/7.

If there is anyone else that needs some items late night near the Mississauga/Etobicoke border and they usually hit up the metro, then at least you have this 24/7 Shoppers drug mart. If there is something else open late in the area, then please post it.

Disappointed in metro, but I'm sure they were losing money staying open 24/7.
10 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 7, 2012
32228 posts
8663 upvotes
GTHA
takemetothebridge wrote: I haven't been to the metro at Cloverdale Mall in Etobicoke for a few months. I just got back in town late last night. I needed to buy some milk / essentials. I pulled up and they had the metro sign on with lights on in the store. The parking lot was dark, which I thought was strange. I walked to the store, tried the door and it was locked. They had a new sign with hours... they now close at 10pm. Did this happen recently or in the last few months?

I tried a few shoppers drug mart's and luckily the one at Cawthra and Burnhamthorpe in Mississauga was open 24/7.

If there is anyone else that needs some items late night near the Mississauga/Etobicoke border and they usually hit up the metro, then at least you have this 24/7 Shoppers drug mart. If there is something else open late in the area, then please post it.

Disappointed in metro, but I'm sure they were losing money staying open 24/7.
Already have a thread on this topic...

Metro to cut back on number of 24 hour store locations
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/metros- ... s-2148360/
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
23583 posts
22540 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
The 24 Hour “experiment” for grocery stores seems to be failing... but again

It comes & goes in cycles

Many stores tried it in other decades too... always to eventually revert back to regular business hours

Just not enough shoppers between late night and early morning to make it worthwhile to keep staff on the cash

Exactly why the All Night & Sunday’s too Convenience Stores / Depanneur were invented

24 Hours is just one of many “experiments”... games that Grocers have of getting folks to consider their store / chain first

Others are:
Home Delivery - Points Programs - Gifts with Purchase - Dollar Days - Warehouse Pricing - No Name / No Frills... they’ve all been around since the 1960s & 1970s

They all have their pros & cons

And Grocers recycle the programs to keep the Customer engaged

Right now we are in a Points Program cycle with PCO Points, AirMiles etc

Very little difference from when my Mom used to collect Gold Stamps at the IGA and fill up books of them so as to get housewares (electric can opener, wool blanket, etc) or money off her next Grocery order
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19929 posts
6861 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: Just not enough shoppers between late night and early morning to make it worthwhile to keep staff on the cash
I still believe there's ways to keep Metro running as a 24/7 store.
It depends on the evening/overnight shift work that needs to get done.
The customer service person can double as the cashier. If there is other work to do, it'll also get done.
(ie returning things to the shelf...)
They're paying people to be there anyway, so opening up the automated cash registers at night is smart. (no cash at all, debit or credit card only)
No cash on site after a certain time at night also makes the store pretty safe.

There must be some other expense I've overlooked. Hopefully this means that they've also turned all or most of their lights out at night to save electricity.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8629 posts
5561 upvotes
Mississauga
Metro dropping 24 hour stores was happening long before the minimum wage increase.

I’ve been to Sobey’s in the early morning hours before and it was a ghost town. I’m not sure how they can justfiy keeping them open when the sales just aren’t there and the risk of “five finger discounts” is so high.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8762 posts
2393 upvotes
Metro at Kennedy Commons remains to be a busy location though out the night surprisingly. One of the few that remained.
Deal Guru
Apr 4, 2001
11732 posts
568 upvotes
mrweather wrote: Metro dropping 24 hour stores was happening long before the minimum wage increase.

I’ve been to Sobey’s in the early morning hours before and it was a ghost town. I’m not sure how they can justfiy keeping them open when the sales just aren’t there and the risk of “five finger discounts” is so high.
Agree - my Metro was 24 hrs for a long time and then one day it just wasn't 24 hrs anymore. This happened more than a year ago, and I know of others.

Anyway, the number of times I shopped outside of the new hours was pretty much zero.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7785 posts
1816 upvotes
Scarborough
nightshift isn't the best anyway, would u wanna work night shift ? Or let ur kids do it ?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15131 upvotes
takemetothebridge wrote: Disappointed in metro, but I'm sure they were losing money staying open 24/7.
LOL losing money, as if. It's not that expensive to keep something running 24/7. It's not like they can turn off the fridges/freezers at night otherwise. Sure you have to pay maybe a security guard and then a few staff but it's not a huge deal if you're paying ppl minimum wage, regardless of whether min. wage is $11 or $15.

And have you seen what the prices are for things at Metro??? That's one of the reasons they could justify them before IMO--the 24hr locations. Now they just complain about min. wage, surely increase the prices even more, and then stop having 24hr stores. Just an excuse to make more money, not to avoid losing it.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
33251 posts
15131 upvotes
apnayloags wrote: nightshift isn't the best anyway, would u wanna work night shift ? Or let ur kids do it ?
You realise there are people in this world (a good chunk of the population in fact) that are biologically "programmed" to be awake at night and asleep during the day, right? I know, I'm one of them. Always used to wonder why I hated getting up for early classes or jobs in the day time, why I was always late, etc. and then I realised, that's exactly the case for me. I'm simply not wired like "day-shifters". Thankfully I have a pretty good overnight job these days (though my company keeps trying to coerce me to work days lol) but going through a lifetime of being subjected to the scrutiny, antagonism, etc. of day-waking losers could have been avoided if society in general would recognise this. If we consider the lost productivity of the world that comes through people being too tired or being forced to work outside of their body/brain's true active hours, there's significantly good reason to have more things running around the clock instead of just during the day.

Unfortunately it sucks big time, esp. in Canada where everything just closes up early in the night and you can't really do much while you're awake...if you're a night-time person. In the US there's a lot of 24hr stuff, most Walmarts and grocery stores for example, but here it's a joke there's basically nothing. The thing that gets me is you can even be in places with lower pop. density in the US compared to the GTA and they still have all of these things, while here it's just follow-the-mainstream-daytimers-lifestyle forced on everyone :rolleyes: I'm not asking for everything to be open 'round the clock, but c'mon, there def. should be more especially in densely populated areas.

I suspect there are far more "night people" than most people would expect but given the way society/structure is set up, the vast majority of people are forced into living a daywalker life regardless of what their body really wants to do. Even though I work nights I still get hosed too because if I want to get anything done on weekends I have to get up in the day time too (like how I'm awake right now) and then split my sleep on the next day (Monday) so I can go to work again Tuesday morning (1am).

I also suspect a lot of how your biological clock works is tied to genetics so I suppose if I ever had kids they may inherit the same thing, so yes I would certainly "let them" work nights because it's a lot better than being forced to live a day-life where people harp on you for stuff like being late or not wanting to be up so early because your body just doesn't. Want. To do it.