Metro

The Keg prime rib burgers $7.99 with Metro App

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 24th, 2021 11:45 am
Mar 26, 2012
23 posts
26 upvotes
Ottawa
I thought the Keg burger was the best until I tried the Baton Rouge burgers. Not a regular stock item at my local Costco so I stock up when it becomes available.

If you like Keg’s burger you gotta try the BR.
B2119C57-4DFA-4473-8EF5-C8D296E337C5.jpeg
Sep 28, 2005
217 posts
109 upvotes
DragonRider wrote:
Both 6 and 8 oz patties are 75% prime rib according to their boxes.
They totally taste like vegetarian ham.
Would be total embarrassment to serve these in a BBQ gathering.
Lucky I only bought one. Never again.
I agree with you. Bought a box and grilled some yesterday, Sure it was really juicy but I really couldn’t put my finger on the flavour.
Apr 17, 2006
177 posts
194 upvotes
All these frozen burgers are LOADED with salt and crap. If you want a killer burger just try to find some Medium Ground beef 80/20 and get a burger press and make patties. Nothing else just the 80/20 ground beef.
Grill em up and add salt and pepper (generously) right before you server to both sides.
Adding salt to the internals of a burger prior to cooking is what wrecks the texture of a burger and is the downfall of ALL frozen patties. There is no reason to pay more money for processed frozen / branded burgers - they are nasty.

(stepping of soapbox)

EDIT: if I want frozen burgers - I just freeze them when I am making them (ie buy more than your need for that meal)

Cheers
Jul 11, 2009
770 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto
i spent 2 summers ago trying every single variety of the PC thick & juicy burgers and wasn't that impressed. I spent last summer trying the costco kirkland signature and the costco sized cardinal roadhouse angus and non-angus and wasn't that impressed. i recently tried the keg burgers and they were ok. burgers made from fresh medium ground beef from no frills recently was ok too. i'm aiming to grind my own and was thinking about the economics

a 3 lb 'club pack' medium ground beef was on sale at no frills at the beginning of the month for $ 2.67 / lb
a 10 lb medium ground beef tube @ business centre is $ 3.85 / lb

@ costco
cardinal road house 1/4lbs are regularly $ 3.33/lb but go on sale for $ 2.67 / lb occasionally
cardinal road house 1/3lbs are regularly $ 3.75/lb but go on sale for $ 3 / lb occasionally
beef chuck is regularly $ 6.8 /lb
beef top sirloin is regularly $ 11.34 / lb
beef brisket is regularly $ 5.89 / lb
beef short rib is regularly $ 12.7 / lb
average cost of the above is $ 9.18 / lb

which makes me wonder what are the burger companies putting in their burgers that allows them to be so cheap?
Last edited by JimU on Jun 24th, 2021 11:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 4, 2013
1149 posts
621 upvotes
Surrey, BC (GVR)
9394 wrote: Thanks OP - agree that these are some of the best frozen burgers. Too bad I just picked up a 12 pack at Costco.
I bought those Kirkland 1/3lb burgers and they were gross. Do you have any idea how these compare?
Please check my feedback:
RFD
HWC
Heatware
Jun 27, 2017
184 posts
175 upvotes
JimU wrote: i spent 2 summers ago trying every single variety of the PC thick & juicy burgers and wasn't that impressed. I spent last summer trying the costco kirkland signature and the costco sized cardinal roadhouse angus and non-angus and wasn't that impressed. i recently tried the keg burgers and they were ok. burgers made from fresh medium ground beef from no frills recently was ok too. i'm aiming to grind my own and was thinking about the economics

a 3 lb 'club pack' medium ground beef was on sale at no frills at the beginning of the month for $ 2.67 / lb
a 10 lb medium ground beef tube @ business centre is $ 3.85 / lb

@ costco
cardinal road house 1/4lbs are regularly $ 3.33/lb but go on sale for $ 2.67 / lb occasionally
cardinal road house 1/3lbs are regularly $ 3.75/lb but go on sale for $ 3 / lb occasionally
beef chuck is regularly $ 6.8 /lb
beef top sirloin is regularly $ 11.34 / lb
beef brisket is regularly $ 12.7 / lb
beef short rib is regularly $ 5.89 / lb
average cost of the above is $ 9.18 / lb

which makes me wonder what are the burger companies putting in their burgers that allows them to be so cheap?
Try the fresh patties from Fortinos butcher counter
May 8, 2002
819 posts
152 upvotes
JimU wrote: i spent 2 summers ago trying every single variety of the PC thick & juicy burgers and wasn't that impressed. I spent last summer trying the costco kirkland signature and the costco sized cardinal roadhouse angus and non-angus and wasn't that impressed. i recently tried the keg burgers and they were ok. burgers made from fresh medium ground beef from no frills recently was ok too. i'm aiming to grind my own and was thinking about the economics
Nice. Tried all the Belmont branded burgers with the Prime Rib coming out on top (out of that brand). Was moving onto trying all the "Butcher's Choice" branded burgers until I bit into what seemed to be a small piece of bone! After that I was done with them.
Butcher's Choice Beef Burgers.png
Moving onto the PC/The Keg brands.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2002
1141 posts
602 upvotes
GTA
Savario wrote: The Cardinal Roadhouse ones from Costco are much worse.
I gotta disagree. The Angus are not good, there was definite regret with that purchase. But I find the 1/4 pounders excellent. I went to BBQ after BBQ a few summers ago before realizing they were all serving this burger, definitely not embarrassing to serve. I love every bite and I'm a purist, I don't slather them with the works, there's no cheese, nothing wacky like an egg, I want to taste the meat. Guess I'm just a mediocre frozen burger guy. I tried cooking a medium ground beef and nothing else burger and it was pretty unexciting.
Last edited by theSPOOLER on Jun 24th, 2021 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2002
1141 posts
602 upvotes
GTA
The Kid wrote: Was moving onto trying all the "Butcher's Choice" branded burgers until I bit into what seemed to be a small piece of bone! After that I was done with them.
These were the only frozen burgers I've purchase that I didn't finish. I stopped eating burgers altogether knowing these were sitting in my freezer before I finally tossed them. Just the packaging alone with the stupid metal ring drove me nuts.