Expired Hot Deals

[Metro] Metro - Beyond Meat Burger - Buy 1 Get 1 Free $7.99 Jan23-29

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 1st, 2020 9:34 am
Jul 26, 2013
592 posts
366 upvotes
Toronto
videoeditting wrote: As you can see no one seem to care about your comment and you moderators have a lot of work to do. Also the Costco similar thread has 8 pages of nonsense. Maybe is time for a change:
1. Create a button close to thumbs up called Not useful or something else. If 3 or 5 users hit that, the reply should be moved to the general discussion from the HOT deals. You can also create a policy rule for users who have more than X replies moved to receive a notification.

You can implement this rule starting with my post....i don't care if it is moved as long as you consider this suggestion.

Thanks!
The reason why the moderator needs to clean up the threads is because this a product debate not a political debate or a podium for personal attacks. Once the trolling starts they unfortunately have to shut down both sides of an argument or else they appear to be taking sides.

However, I would strongly advise against wholesale censoring comments critical of a product for ethical or environmental reasons. Doing so is effectively taking the side of that product's producers because one is silencing criticisms about that product. Lead gasoline and asbestos in homes are banned today because some choose to speak out rather than censor legitimate criticism of those products. Criticism of some product might offend some but that's the whole point of having a forum debate pro-con of a product - to work out if we should buy it. Granted it's a difficult job for moderator figure out where to draw the line, but as long as its civil, and doesn't turn into a general left-right political debate, I think they should keep the comments intact. What you have to say might appear like nonsense to others but I'm sure you can appreciate you have a right to say your own criticisms or defense of xyz product.
Last edited by needybot on Jan 22nd, 2020 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sep 23, 2007
59 posts
42 upvotes
Toronto (Downtown)
wearysky wrote: Don't have to be a vegan to care about the impact that beef farming has, from a climate perspective. That aside - there's also less saturated and trans fat, and no cholesterol, in Beyond Burgers.

Most of the folk I know who have these get them as an alternative to help cut down on the amount of red meat they consume, not as a complete replacement... But most of those people also only treat them as an occasional treat any way (as they do with regular burgers), so they're not overly concerned about them from a healthiness perspective anyway.

Back to the deal at hand, though - I have never seen Beyond Burgers in my local Metro, ever.
I haven't been to any Oakville location, but if it helps, at the Metros downtown you can find them at the butcher's counter (the actual counter, where they have veal and some other specialty items), and not in the regular packaged meat area or the frozen burger area.
Jan 13, 2012
233 posts
258 upvotes
Vancouver
cool canuck wrote: These burgers are decent but i always liked the Lick's Nature burger. Found this thread from over a decade ago: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/best-veg ... er-625669/

Kupfert and Kim also make a great vegan burger, i think it's the mushroom one that I liked the most.
Lick's was awesome, it's a sad sad thing that they crumbled under supposed mismanagement. Their Gobblers (Turkey burgers) were good enough to make me skip beef half the time, and their veggie burgers were even decent. Throw in a milkshake for a good time!
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16930 posts
6701 upvotes
Oakville
NineOne wrote: I haven't been to any Oakville location, but if it helps, at the Metros downtown you can find them at the butcher's counter (the actual counter, where they have veal and some other specialty items), and not in the regular packaged meat area or the frozen burger area.
Yeah, I've seen other non-meat burger products there at my local one around the corner, just never the Beyond burgers. I'll have to have a look when I go over there tonight, though I think I still have a CostCo pack in the freezer.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Jul 26, 2013
592 posts
366 upvotes
Toronto
wearysky wrote: Yeah, I've seen other non-meat burger products there at my local one around the corner, just never the Beyond burgers. I'll have to have a look when I go over there tonight, though I think I still have a CostCo pack in the freezer.
Harvey's had a veggie burger by the name of Lifelight that has a recipe very similar to Beyond Meat but I've never seen it on the shelves of a supermarket
https://thespoon.tech/lightlifes-new-pl ... nd-burger/.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12176 posts
1684 upvotes
Kanata
needybot wrote: Harvey's had a veggie burger by the name of Lifelight that has a recipe very similar to Beyond Meat but I've never seen it on the shelves of a supermarket
Sobey's carries it, it is the LightLife burger. I've also seen it at Real Canadian Superstore. Sobey's had a buy 1, get 2 free promo 2 weeks ago for the LightLife, I stocked up on it when that was on.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 16, 2010
5994 posts
2616 upvotes
Aurora
By the way, for those who want to try Beyond Burgers but don't want to commit to multiple packs, Sobey's Ontario flyer has single packs (of two) on sale for $4.99 (so $2.50 a patty vs this Metro deal at $2 a patty). Jan 23 - Jan 29.
I've already tried Beyond Burgers and I like them so I'll be getting a couple of packs at Metro.
https://www.sobeys.com/en/flyer/
Capture.PNG
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
16930 posts
6701 upvotes
Oakville
needybot wrote: Harvey's had a veggie burger by the name of Lifelight that has a recipe very similar to Beyond Meat but I've never seen it on the shelves of a supermarket
I just got back from my local Metro, and not only do they have Beyond Burgers now, they also have the LightLife ones too.
Lucky Koodo $40/6GB (with $15/10GB add-on) recipient
Nov 17, 2014
861 posts
633 upvotes
Ontario
needybot wrote: You make a good point that some of these fake meat products plausibly may be less healthy than meat. The high sodium is also an issue as well as their highly processed nature.
https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/be ... lant-based

On the other hand, even putting aside the ethics of meat industry, there is plenty of evidence that eating meat isn't some healthy ideal either so offsetting that with plant based alternatives might end up heather despite the negatives. Depending whom you read, you hear different stories. Beyond meat claims its healthier but the truth is it will take long term study, on case by case basis (since each product has a unique recipe), to figure out the long term effects.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/beyond ... -1.5220777

We are of course guinea pigs but its really not any greater risk than all the other processed foods we eat. At least we now have an alternative to eating meat when we are craving meat but that still tastes like meat

(Edits cut out some comments in hopes of appeasing moderator)
Honestly who cares? No one eats burgers to be healthy.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
7682 posts
2280 upvotes
Forgot to ask in my last reply.

Do these freeze / thaw well? I might stock up if I can put a few packs in the freezer and know they will good for a few weeks.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5445 posts
4731 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: Forgot to ask in my last reply.

Do these freeze / thaw well? I might stock up if I can put a few packs in the freezer and know they will good for a few weeks.
Not sure about these ones.... the ones I got at Costco were already frozen
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 10, 2004
12176 posts
1684 upvotes
Kanata
Gutty96 wrote: Forgot to ask in my last reply.

I've frozen both the beyond meat and the LightLife products, they freeze and thaw well. As mentioned already, the ones at Costco are already frozen. I don't know how they do with a rapid defrost but leaving them overnight in the fridge, they are fine to cook the next day.
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
3151 posts
996 upvotes
Mississauga
wearysky wrote: I just got back from my local Metro, and not only do they have Beyond Burgers now, they also have the LightLife ones too.
I will confirm this. Saw plenty of both products in my local Mississauga Metro. Burger shaped and also ground packs.