• Jul 15th, 2019 12:05 am
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 15, 2011
26 posts
31 upvotes
Toronto

[Metro] Nuun electrolyte tablets

Posting for those who use Nuun tablets as an alternative to Gatorade or other electrolyte replenishing drinks, I saw them on sale at my local Metro (Toronto Yonge/Church) in the pharmacy section, but not in the flyer. Looked like a storewide sale though. MEC sells a 4 pack for $30, Amazon.ca even more.

If you haven't heard of them, they are meant for endurance exercise, e.g., marathons and long distance cycling, though I've heard people use them to prevent hangovers. So they may not be for everyone or for any exercise. In some cases, plain water will suffice.

More info about these at https://nuunlife.com.
26 replies
Jun 15, 2019
57 posts
70 upvotes
Dunno if you've seen the movie "Idiocracy", but I am a bit skeptical about electrolytes. I get the idea in theory - you sweat salts, so you drink some to replenish. But what bothers me is that I can't seem to find any information about the actual constituents of Nuun on their website.

WHAT IS NUUN?
Nuun + Water = Hydration Bliss

Ahm... Ok...
Deal Addict
May 25, 2011
1971 posts
1582 upvotes
SAINT JOHN
rokask wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 7:32 am
Dunno if you've seen the movie "Idiocracy", but I am a bit skeptical about electrolytes. I get the idea in theory - you sweat salts, so you drink some to replenish. But what bothers me is that I can't seem to find any information about the actual constituents of Nuun on their website.

WHAT IS NUUN?

Ahm... Ok...
You looking for the ingredients?

http://nuuncanada.com/nuun-product-ingredient-listing/
...Location: GTA North

If this post has helped you please click the 'THANKS' button.

GTA Grocery Highlights (updated weekly) thread

[WTB] Looking for a Netbook for $150 or under (~$100). Please let me know if you have one for sale. Willing to part trade stuff or labour.
Deal Addict
Jun 14, 2009
2116 posts
2014 upvotes
Quebec
rokask wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 7:32 am

WHAT IS NUUN?

Ahm... Ok...
My reaction as well
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8553 posts
6127 upvotes
Markham
Just so people know, “electrolytes” are nothing more than various anion/cation of different “salts.”

You know how you can replenish your “electrolytes” without buying crap like this and Gatorade? Literally eat something that has some salt or drink some salt water or heck lick some salt.

There, I just saved you a crapton of money, RFD style.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2007
1340 posts
265 upvotes
Anikiri wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 9:16 am
Just so people know, “electrolytes” are nothing more than various anion/cation of different “salts.”

You know how you can replenish your “electrolytes” without buying crap like this and Gatorade? Literally eat something that has some salt or drink some salt water or heck lick some salt.

There, I just saved you a crapton of money, RFD style.
You’re missing an important part. Most salty things contain sodium only. You probably want potassium as well. So eat a banana or spinach as well, then you’re covered.
Nov 22, 2013
105 posts
60 upvotes
Just my .02, but these are a little different than Gatorade, aka sugary water.

We use them back country camping and hiking. They work great for adding some flavor to water without having to carry actual drinks. I have to make an effort to stay hydrated which is easier done with a little flavoring.

The product is actually a powdered tablet that dissolves in water, for those who haven’t seen them before.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
3406 posts
1274 upvotes
Toronto
Anikiri wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 9:16 am
“electrolytes” are nothing more than various anion/cation of different “salts.”
They are a mix for a reason. Suggesting one consume a single salt to replace the mix is bad advice and could potentially cause problems.
If you are getting different credit scores from different sources please post them here:
Comparing the consumer accessible credit scores
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8553 posts
6127 upvotes
Markham
ROYinTO wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 9:40 am
They are a mix for a reason. Suggesting one consume a single salt to replace the mix is bad advice and could potentially cause problems.
Lol what problems? You get enough “electrolytes” by your diet alone. And licking salt isn’t going to do anything.

This whole electrolyte crazy is manufactured and pointless.
Jul 3, 2019
38 posts
77 upvotes
These are great if you get food poisoning and use the washroom constantly. Hopefully you don’t get food poisoning a lot though.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
3406 posts
1274 upvotes
Toronto
Anikiri wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 9:47 am
Lol what problems? You get enough “electrolytes” by your diet alone.
Your ignorance in this area is continuing to show.
The basic info is on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolyte_imbalance
If you want to know more, take an intro human or animal physiology course and you will spend a month or so on electrolytes and imbalances as you run through the various systems.
TMI for this type of forum.
If you are getting different credit scores from different sources please post them here:
Deal Fanatic
May 1, 2012
8553 posts
6127 upvotes
Markham
ROYinTO wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 10:08 am
Your ignorance in this area is continuing to show.
The basic info is on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolyte_imbalance
If you want to know more, take an intro human or animal physiology course and you will spend a month or so on electrolytes and imbalances as you run through the various systems.
TMI for this type of forum.
Man Pulling out the educational insults on RFD that’s some next level drinking the cool aid.

sure man go buy this stuff I don’t care lol.
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2010
1624 posts
505 upvotes
Alpha Centauri
merrrily wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 9:48 am
These are great if you get food poisoning and use the washroom constantly. Hopefully you don’t get food poisoning a lot though.
This is true. Puking 5 or 6 times can leave you badly dehydrated.
*Life without friends is like a garden without flowers.
*Children would be less spoiled if we were allowed to spank grandparents.
*Coffee = A liquid hug for your brain.
*Hugs are free, but you only need one to feel good.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
3406 posts
1274 upvotes
Toronto
Anikiri wrote:
Jul 14th, 2019 10:14 am
Man Pulling out the educational insults on RFD that’s some next level drinking the cool aid.

sure man go buy this stuff I don’t care lol.
For those that do care - here are the big 3 when it comes to electrolyte loss.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypokalemia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyponatremia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocalcaemia