• Last Updated:
  • Jan 21st, 2021 10:16 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6504 posts
2973 upvotes

[Metro] NZ Spring Lamb Shoulder Chops (Grass Fed) $4.99 lb

Metro (GTA) YMMV has NZ Spring Lamb Chops for $4.99 lb.
Grass Fed/Free Range/No Antibiotics or Hormones.
I bought 3 pkgs this morning (store was dead quiet at 8 am)
Going to grill 'em over charcoal on the Kamado tonight.
Screen Shot 01-16-21 at 10.51 AM.PNG
44 replies
Nov 24, 2002
240 posts
156 upvotes
Honestly, these have been $11/kg for at least the last six months. It's a good price, but it's not really a sale even though they put it in the flyer every other week.
Nov 15, 2020
933 posts
1878 upvotes
Anyone know if these are halal, most NZ lamb I've seen are usually halal.
Zoomer Wireless: $36 5GB Plan
Feb 4, 2010
384 posts
183 upvotes
Montreal
aomous wrote: Anyone know if these are halal, most NZ lamb I've seen are usually halal.
Nothing on their website, so assume it's not.

edit: see message below, it is.
Last edited by pZn on Jan 16th, 2021 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2009
1037 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
What would the gaminess be like on this particular lamb? I'm always nervous to buy/prepare lamb because ~80% of the time I eat it, it is too offensive for my palette. But I have actually had lamb without that flavor before (without immense brining and overkill of seasonings I mean); it's just so rare, and usually expensive/high-end.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2013
2009 posts
1345 upvotes
Ottawa
How do they get fresh meat from NZ?
I thought they're all frozen
Mar 15, 2019
84 posts
59 upvotes
NoCountry4RFDer wrote: How do they get fresh meat from NZ?
Not 100% sure this is the same product but when I bought the lamb chops on sale last year the package said previously frozen even though the flyer was advertising it as "fresh"
Mar 15, 2019
84 posts
59 upvotes
MontrealPost wrote: Thanks OP!!

We like lamb, but was never aware of this great price at Metro (in Montreal). Is it in the freezer section?
Thanks in advance!
Fresh meat section. Usually by the beef or pork
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6504 posts
2973 upvotes
drew4008 wrote: What would the gaminess be like on this particular lamb? I'm always nervous to buy/prepare lamb because ~80% of the time I eat it, it is too offensive for my palette. But I have actually had lamb without that flavor before (without immense brining and overkill of seasonings I mean); it's just so rare, and usually expensive/high-end.
I cooked the lamb last night - ended up using the gas BBQ vs charcoal.
I basted the lamb chops with a mixture of olive oil and Rosemary on one side only.
The lamb was tender and flavourful without that overpowering gamy lamb taste.
Deal Addict
Jun 9, 2009
1379 posts
1303 upvotes
drew4008 wrote: What would the gaminess be like on this particular lamb? I'm always nervous to buy/prepare lamb because ~80% of the time I eat it, it is too offensive for my palette. But I have actually had lamb without that flavor before (without immense brining and overkill of seasonings I mean); it's just so rare, and usually expensive/high-end.
You must be super sensitive, thats a shame, lamb is so delicious!
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
2806 posts
2766 upvotes
Not sure if related but I noticed the cuts with less fat will have less of this gaminess flavour. Or alternative is goat, seems to have same texture as lamb but without the lamb gamey flavor.
Dec 12, 2011
323 posts
166 upvotes
NEPEAN
Usually the New Zealand one is not very "gamey", but the Australian one is quite gamey. The Ontario and Quebec lamb is not gamey but way more expensive. Also, if you braise it instead of grilling it, you loose the "gamey" taste.
Last edited by bach2266 on Jan 18th, 2021 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 26, 2007
312 posts
185 upvotes
renegadeavenger wrote: Or alternative is goat, seems to have same texture as lamb but without the lamb gamey flavor.
I find goat more gamey and costs way more.

Shoulder chops are always significantly cheaper then rib or loin chop.
Deal Addict
Apr 20, 2009
1037 posts
377 upvotes
Toronto
renegadeavenger wrote: Or alternative is goat, seems to have same texture as lamb but without the lamb gamey flavor.
I can't believe you actually wrote that Face With Tears Of Joy Whereas I have had delicious non-gamey lamb before, I have never, ever had goat that is remotely palatable and will never even try to eat that again. Goats aren't for eating, they're for pets and cuddles :)
Oct 17, 2004
714 posts
392 upvotes
Toronto
Just picked some up. Family loves these.

Thanks OP!
I'm too poor to buy crap
Dec 23, 2010
251 posts
311 upvotes
Toronto
My personal preference:
  1. Soak chops in cold water + salt for at least an hour. (1 tbsp per L of water).
  2. Buy whole cumin seeds, semi-grind it to a medium grind (some powder and some bits of seeds visible). I find this method is more flavourful and it is a completely different taste/smell than buying cumin powder.
  3. After chops are done soaking, use a knife to cut slits into the connective tissue so it will curl up less when cooking.
  4. Broil as close to the top of the oven rack as possible, each side 5 min. (You can also cook it on a skillet and a bit of oil, the lamb will give off lots of fat)
  5. Sprinkle liberally the cumin powder on each side and serve. Add cayenne powder and salt to taste.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
2211 posts
2172 upvotes
NoCountry4RFDer wrote: How do they get fresh meat from NZ?
Lamb from New Zealand comes in two formats: frozen and fresh. Frozen lamb is kept at deep freezer temperature (minus 20 degrees Celsius).
For fresh lamb, the meat is stored just 1-2 degrees below the (water) freezing point, so the meat will never actually freeze, and it can be stored for up to 40-50 days at that temperature, and can be legally sold as "fresh, never frozen". The boat trip from New Zealand to Canada takes only two weeks, so that makes it very feasible to import and sell fresh lamb here.