Metro

Ontario: Fresh Whole Atlantic Salmon $3.49/LB

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 29th, 2021 11:31 am
Feb 11, 2017
157 posts
48 upvotes
Psyclist wrote: just watched seaspiracy on netflix...good watch
Watched few weeks ago worth understand the fishing industry..
Dec 1, 2009
67 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
Homer88 wrote: Agreed. I think that's what I'll do too, just make steaks 1-2 inches thick
Yup, this is what we usually do. On a side note, make sure you use a super sharp knife or cleaver. You can really destroy the meat with a dull knife. We also slice the salmon open just a bit more, season, and slice a tomato, onion and sweet pepper (into rings or strips) and place inside. Lay some slices of lemon on top, or forget the lemon and slather a little bbq sauce. Wrap in foil, place on a pan to keep the juices contained and toss on the BBQ for 1/2 hr. Goes perfect with your choice of rice and grilled veggies.

Just made myself hungry. LOL

Enjoy!
If you're happy, and they're unhappy....it was a good deal.
Dec 1, 2009
67 posts
30 upvotes
Toronto
Thx bought two, might buy a couple more.
If you're happy, and they're unhappy....it was a good deal.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22038 posts
2877 upvotes
Jackji wrote: What? What does having a cold fridge have anything to do with sashimi grade fish?
Freezing kills bacteria and parasites. -40F/C is a flash freeze that more or less instantly renders it safe. It can also be held at a warmer temperature longer to accomplish the same.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1703 posts
1168 upvotes
Kfox wrote: I think metro will have gutted the salmon, no?

A bit of an exaggeration to claim the head, fins and tail make up 50 percent of weight, that I know.
This. Gutting is done, as the guts start spoiling the fish as soon as it's killed, unless flash frozen and stated as such. This is labelled as "fresh", or as fresh as Metro can claim. And YES, claiming that head, bones, fins and tail is 50% of the weight is embellishment to make ia point. It's still some waste, even at 15%, it comes to ~$4 a pound, so good deal to fresh salmon.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2017
3137 posts
6402 upvotes
Was pretty sure that farmed salmon does not need to be frozen for raw consumption. Wild salmon on the other hand does need to be frozen.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2005
22038 posts
2877 upvotes
peteryorkuca wrote: Sushi grade is regulated. On Ontario Food Safety bylaw, raw fish used for sushi must be frozen below -35C to kill off all bacteria and parasites.

Food Safefy inspectors regularly check on sushi bar to make sure their raw fish kept below this temperature.

Unfortunately, for all sushi grade is needed is this temp. No quality nor any other specs.
Sushi fish does not have to kept on-premise at a deep freeze- it can be bought pre-frozen.

The requirement that only frozen fish is used was repealed in 2004- there is no law requiring such.