Shopping Discussion

Metro Ontario - what's wrong with this picture?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 7th, 2020 12:08 am
[OP]
Nov 16, 2019
4 posts
3 upvotes

Metro Ontario - what's wrong with this picture?

Read the article and tell me what's wrong. There is something wrong here, and there's no denying it.

from ArnpriorToday.ca
13 replies
Feb 5, 2015
355 posts
446 upvotes
Toronto
"donate toonie at checkout"

how is that an issue, they arent asking people to go there specifically to donate, but if you already are shopping there consider donating.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16653 posts
3844 upvotes
Toronto
Is it that nobody has $2 to donate in these tough times?
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Jun 18, 2016
551 posts
1571 upvotes
Slpmbags wrote: Read the article and tell me what's wrong. There is something wrong here, and there's no denying it.

from ArnpriorToday.ca
Ah, I see the problem. The problem is that you think you're entitled to free handouts from (government, city, grocery stores) without helping out people less fortunate than you.

Don't want to donate? That's fine, no one is forcing a gun to your head. But the reality is that the thousands of people get to eat because of the generosity of others.
Maybe one day you'll end up without a roof over your head or food on your plate and you'll wish people were more generous. Until then, go ahead an complain about how businesses should be donating their profit-money instead of organizing fundraisers.
But don't do it here. It's not wanted here.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
16048 posts
4554 upvotes
Markham
if donations reach $500K + match of $500K
then total pledge should be $1.5 Mil. Not $1 Mil ?
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16183 posts
4991 upvotes
London
Keigotw wrote: if donations reach $500K + match of $500K
then total pledge should be $1.5 Mil. Not $1 Mil ?
But Metro itself is donating $1M out of the $1.5M , so the headline is correct ?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9114 posts
2728 upvotes
London
Slpmbags wrote: Read the article and tell me what's wrong. There is something wrong here, and there's no denying it.

from ArnpriorToday.ca
You're going have to spell it out for me, I guess I'm not as smart as you.
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
29024 posts
14687 upvotes
Toronto
Maybe op is suggesting metro should donate much much more. Perhaps, the entire 1st quarter company profit ?
Sep 26, 2011
227 posts
269 upvotes
What I think's wrong is that cashiers are forced to ask unnecessary questions, and increase the spread of droplets. So many mixed messages during this pandemic. Stores make people lineup outside, everybody separated by two metres, but nobody seems to wonder how safe that is, when peoples' perfume can easily be smelt standing that far apart, because of outdoor wind currents. Then they turn the aisles into a corn maze in an attempt to force everybody to move in one direction, presumably to reduce face-to-face crossing paths, but in policing such new rules, staff have to intervene and explain something, again striking up an unnecessary conversation that spews droplets from peoples' mouths into the air. Confused Face
Feb 5, 2007
697 posts
296 upvotes
Mississauga
It's $500k base PLUS UP TO another $500k in a 1:1 match with customer donations. So max amount is $500k+500k+500k = $1.5m. The title is right because the company is giving $1m. But it's misleading in the sense that they're fronting $1m right away.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 5, 2006
9562 posts
4760 upvotes
Markham
DavidC363 wrote: "donate toonie at checkout"

how is that an issue, they arent asking people to go there specifically to donate, but if you already are shopping there consider donating.
Yes not problem. Like indigo is doing this forever even in normal time

But i do think they shouldn't say invite people to donate toonies. It's pretty much cap people's donations amount(expectation).They just need ask donations, i am sure a lot people will donate more, like who would say "yes, I donate a quarter " lol

Campaign is good, Message is not