Expired Hot Deals

[Metro] Prime Rib (roasts or steaks) $5.44/lb - October 3-13, 2019 (Ontario)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2019 12:29 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2706 posts
4357 upvotes

[Metro] Prime Rib (roasts or steaks) $5.44/lb - October 3-13, 2019 (Ontario)

Metro (Ontario)
October 3-13, 2019

Prime rib roasts or rib steaks $5.44/lb
Last edited by computergeek541 on Oct 8th, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Public Mobile client: $60 calls/texts/12.5GB
67 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20388 posts
8426 upvotes
Toronto
I hope the competitors price match. Metro roasts are about as appetizing as chewing on rubber.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2706 posts
4357 upvotes
will888 wrote: I hope the competitors price match. Metro roasts are about as appetizing as chewing on rubber.
It's hard for rib meat to be tough. They'd have to really try hard to mess it up. My problem is with the Metro Humber Bay location who will take multiple rib scraps, throw a piece of garbage in the middle, roll it up in a ball, and then tie it up to hide what they did, it being nothing like the roast in the flyer picture that looks like you could cut your steaks from. Add that to the fact that this location is often out of stock of anything on special. This specific location is home of the unchewable beef. Get something like top sirloin and it's inedible from this location. Go to a another store or even a different Metro location, and it's at least acceptable. I got some AA boneless striploin delivered from Metro Keele/St. Clair and it was excellent. First time Metro online grocery customers, remember to get your free bbq bundle.

You can try to price match at Walmart, but they might say no because this is AA beef at Metro. Sometimes, Walmart likes to deny Ad Match because of "Red Grill" vs. "Your Fresh Market", although to those in-store brands were likely invented just to give some stores an excuse to refuse a price match.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6680 posts
6578 upvotes
Richmond Hill
The only thing more exciting than a prime rib deal is a price error
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2706 posts
4357 upvotes
aeba7 wrote: The only thing more exciting than a prime rib deal is a price error
You mean like $12 per roast?
Nov 29, 2009
203 posts
133 upvotes
London
will888 wrote: I hope the competitors price match. Metro roasts are about as appetizing as chewing on rubber.
Any suggestions? I happen to be looking for one next week as I only buy roasts once or twice a year. TIA
WISDOM IS JUST A HIGHER LEVEL OF COMMON SENSE ...
Deal Addict
Jul 3, 2002
1316 posts
3065 upvotes
Can't you just price match this at rcss?
Slightly better deal too, as last time it was $5.47 although it was cap off.
Upon further investigation this is only AA
Not worth it
AAA or bust
Last edited by FARMERBLANCHE on Oct 2nd, 2019 10:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 3, 2009
149 posts
76 upvotes
Kanata
Agree with you on this. Their "Red Grill" brand sucks imo. No flavour, tough and chewy. I don't know how it passes for "Prime", more like grade A or even B.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 4, 2008
6680 posts
6578 upvotes
Richmond Hill
computergeek541 wrote: You mean like $12 per roast?
I remember RCSS was clearing out some roasts for that much - i think they had a lot left after a weekly sale lol
When given enough time, all threads on RFD can and will go off on a tangent.
Deal Addict
Jul 24, 2005
2217 posts
2181 upvotes
Thanks OP for keeping an eye on these deals.
In Ontario, Fortinos will have prime rib roasts (AA grade, cap removed) for $4.99 per pound, starting tomorrow. Competition is a good thing.
I would have preferred AAA grade, but I generally find Fortinos' meat quality to be better than Metro's.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20388 posts
8426 upvotes
Toronto
computergeek541 wrote: It's hard for rib meat to be tough. They'd have to really try hard to mess it up. My problem is with the Metro Humber Bay location who will take multiple rib scraps, throw a piece of garbage in the middle, roll it up in a ball, and then tie it up to hide what they did, it being nothing like the roast in the flyer picture that looks like you could cut your steaks from. Add that to the fact that this location is often out of stock of anything on special. This specific location is home of the unchewable beef. Get something like top sirloin and it's inedible from this location. Go to a another store or even a different Metro location, and it's at least acceptable. I got some AA boneless striploin delivered from Metro Keele/St. Clair and it was excellent. First time Metro online grocery customers, remember to get your free bbq bundle.

You can try to price match at Walmart, but they might say no because this is AA beef at Metro. Sometimes, Walmart likes to deny Ad Match because of "Red Grill" vs. "Your Fresh Market", although to those in-store brands were likely invented just to give some stores an excuse to refuse a price match.
It is not just your local metro that does this. They all do. The mystery scraps that they throw in are various test compounds coming from the Nike labs. I won't buy prime rib from Metro. Friends shouldn't let friends....
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, EQ Bank, Simplii
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2706 posts
4357 upvotes
aeba7 wrote: I remember RCSS was clearing out some roasts for that much - i think they had a lot left after a weekly sale lol
When I say $12 per roasts, I don't mean because of clearance. Sometimes, some stores will accidently put the price per weight as the total per unit price in error.
Last edited by computergeek541 on Oct 2nd, 2019 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2706 posts
4357 upvotes
will888 wrote: It is not just your local metro that does this. They all do. The mystery scraps that they throw in are various test compounds coming from the Nike labs. I won't buy prime rib from Metro. Friends shouldn't let friends....
They can't hide anything if you get the steaks.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2019
2706 posts
4357 upvotes
EL820 wrote: Pic in their flyer shows cap on...not good
They never advertised cap off. The picture also shows at least a nice looking roast, but we've been discussing how some locations tie up multuple pieces of leftovers to disguise it.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2002
3803 posts
2397 upvotes
Toronto
Don't remember who had a $5.99 sale about a month ago for Prime steak..got them and they were decent.
Last week however, I had a craving for steak, and caved and got nice Prime cuts from my nearby Portuguese butcher. Paid $11.99 /lbs and it was the most superb steak I have ever done at home, the marbling was perfect and that flavourful fat just melted in my mouth. I'm totally spoiled now...
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2003
1892 posts
222 upvotes
computergeek541 wrote: They never advertised cap off. The picture also shows at least a nice looking roast, but we've been discussing how some locations tie up multuple pieces of leftovers to disguise it.
I was just pointing out that the cap is on the prime rib; I wasn't saying false advertising on Metro's part.

That cap is a write-off for me. I guess you can save it and braise the meat to get it tender.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13015 upvotes
computergeek541 wrote: It's hard for rib meat to be tough.
Challenge accepted

-Metro probably

Joking aside, this is why mechanical tenderization is a thing.
gowifi wrote: Not the west again?
We always get screwed.