Expired Hot Deals

[Metro] Prime Rib (roasts or steaks) $5.44/lb - October 3-13, 2019 (Ontario)

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 9th, 2019 12:29 pm
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2003
1893 posts
222 upvotes
LBJackal wrote: That's the muscle cap, AKA spinalis dorsi. The cap that the "cap off" refers to is completely different. This comes up in every single prime rib thread on here for some reason.

Here is the Metro ad with the two different caps labeled. The muscle cap is always on every rib steak/roast (smaller on loin end, bigger on chuck end), and it is never trimmed off.

Thanks for the detail pic. That's what I've been alluding to...that Metro's prime rib come with the undesirable cap on.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2003
1893 posts
222 upvotes
gr8dlr wrote: Yes this discussion comes up constantly because there are ppl who come into Prime Rib CAP ON threads and always say I don't like the cap or it's all fat etc. If you don't want CAP ON, then don't go into the thread to state this (if you want to make stew with it - great, if you don't want to buy it because it's got a CAP - that's OK too. But don't call CAP eaters fat eaters or DOG FOOD eaters (insulting). I don't go into EYE OF ROUND threads for this reason, I don't like it.

In my books both of those "caps" - they are both CAP and if they are both there or if only one is there, it's fine for me as I reverse sear or smoke (low and slow) my prime rib so it doesn't overcook. Overcooking is why some ppl may find it tough as it's the outside of the roast and thus takes first hit from heat. I look at the whole roast and pick the one I like the best.

That's my last post on this topic in this thread. So let's just leave it to personal preference as I said before....but don't insult the chicken thigh and CAP ON eating bunch of us.
No matter how you spin it, there is no way the spinalis dorsi is the same as the cap that sits on top. They are day & night when it comes to flavour and tenderness. It has nothing to do with the cooking method. There is no meat tenderizer on this planet that will make that cap as tender and flavourful as the spinalis dorsi.

The delicious cap that you are referring to is the spinalis dorsi, and it's not the cap that sits on top. So let's not start misleading people. I'm willing to bet that 10 out of 10 people will pick the spinalis dorsi over the cap in a blind taste.

There is a reason why Metro will charge more for a ribeye steak with "cap off" compared to a similar grade ribeye steak with the "cap on".
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4074 posts
1952 upvotes
Mississauga
Today Metro has a flash sale for $5 off when you spend $15 on beef.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3009 posts
1021 upvotes
Toronto
dookiepants wrote: YMMV - there was a beef recall for E. coli at Metro - https://healthycanadians.gc.ca/recall-a ... 7r-eng.php

if you like the midnight specials, go nuts! But go buy these ribbies at RCSS if you value your insides.
The beef products from your link refers to products with best before dates of JN 3 to AU 3. This recall does not apply to this week's sale products.
Oct 31, 2010
158 posts
80 upvotes
Ontario
ak-47 wrote: The beef products from your link refers to products with best before dates of JN 3 to AU 3. This recall does not apply to this week's sale products.
thanks for checking!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27545 posts
13178 upvotes
LBJackal wrote: The cap is undesirable meat and mostly just fat. Why pay $5/lb for what is essentially beef tallow and dog food grade meat?
The meat I can do without, but I dislike it when they trim it to a point of where they remove all the fat.
It shouldn't be solid red on top.
There's tons of fat on a ribeye even if you trim all the outer fat itself.

I still want an outside layer to crisp up outside of the intramuscular fat.
Aug 25, 2008
650 posts
475 upvotes
Sobey's has AA Prime Rib for $5.87 and AAA for $9.99 starting tomorrow (both with the cap off).
---------------------
Koodo $39 / 13 gb
TCL 65R617 $625
Viewsonic VX3268 32 Inch 144Hz 1ms Monitor $280