[Metro] Silk Beverages 1.89L $1.99 after printable coupon Aug 22-28

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 20th, 2019 5:02 pm
Feb 7, 2017
215 posts
92 upvotes
radeonboy wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 11:17 am
I think I recall seeing a CBC documentary about almond milk, and other new types of milk, and I believe it said like there's only a handful of almonds in the carton, like 2% worth of almonds,and the rest is just filler.
That's okay. There is no need for almonds. it is just that it is enriched so that it is nutritionally comparable to real milk except with less calories and fat. The only problem is that it has less protein (which you would need to get by eating something else).

The main reason I buy it is because it is a good milk substitute but with no lactose. Less farting.
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2010
4941 posts
678 upvotes
Toronto
Siward44 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 11:25 am
That's okay. There is no need for almonds. it is just that it is enriched so that it is nutritionally comparable to real milk except with less calories and fat. The only problem is that is has less protein (which you would need to get by eating something else).

The main reason I buy it is because it is a good milk substitute but with no lactose. Less farting.
Likewise, I don't really care for the content of the almonds. I just need a milk substitute since actual milk flares up my eczema.

Kfox wrote:
Aug 13th, 2019 10:35 pm
people like it as smoothie base because of creamy taste, low fat/calorie, source of calcium, and free of dairy, soy, lactose, gluten, egg
This too
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2003
2682 posts
432 upvotes
Ottawa
radeonboy wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 11:17 am
I think I recall seeing a CBC documentary about almond milk, and other new types of milk, and I believe it said like there's only a handful of almonds in the carton, like 2% worth of almonds,and the rest is just filler.
Exactly, I rather spend that money to buy real almonds, and if you are making a smoothie, just thrown a few almonds in the mixer. Much better than buying over priced white colored water.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2004
12278 posts
2819 upvotes
RFD
Siward44 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 11:25 am
That's okay. There is no need for almonds. it is just that it is enriched so that it is nutritionally comparable to real milk except with less calories and fat. The only problem is that it has less protein (which you would need to get by eating something else).

Why not buy lactose free milk? Is it the price difference?
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
3735 posts
452 upvotes
Scarborough
dux wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 12:03 pm
Exactly, I rather spend that money to buy real almonds, and if you are making a smoothie, just thrown a few almonds in the mixer. Much better than buying over priced white colored water.
agreed, I tried almond milk once and it tastes like watered down milk. The vanilla sweetened soy milk is hands down the best version, with one cup having 350mg of potassium vs 35mg for the almond milk. Though of course different strokes for different folks and id still take almond milk over cow milk any day of the week which tastes gross af btw.
Penalty Box
Apr 15, 2011
3735 posts
452 upvotes
Scarborough
Kfox wrote:
Jun 19th, 2019 11:39 pm
Aug. 15-21, Food Basics has 1.89L Silk Almond beverage on sale for $2.97, other varieties like Cashew etc may also be on sale

get extra $1 off with printable coupon from Danone website.
https://www.dan-on.com/ca-en/my-discounts

EDIT Aug.13: there's a new $1 off coupon usable on any Silk product

do you have to print these coupons out or is there digital versions? How many coupons can you use? I'm guessing food basics will only accept one per order?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2007
2665 posts
2471 upvotes
GTA
blaznazn22 wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 2:22 pm
do you have to print these coupons out or is there digital versions? How many coupons can you use? I'm guessing food basics will only accept one per order?
it's a "printable coupon"

use your own discretion

probably one per transaction
Sep 9, 2018
121 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
Creamy Cashew is a good milk replacement. It's not watered down like the other flavours.
Jul 4, 2005
729 posts
47 upvotes
Ontario
Is Silk Almond - Dark Chocolate - ok for an occasional treat, or is it just basically sugar?
Feb 20, 2012
83 posts
24 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
Thanks OP, but I really hate these coupon sites. Here's a printable.
Images
  • IMG_20190816_133117-01.jpeg
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2896 posts
719 upvotes
Mississauga
Junk Food Junkie wrote:
Aug 14th, 2019 8:50 pm
Is Silk Almond - Dark Chocolate - ok for an occasional treat, or is it just basically sugar?
Whats wrong with sugar??
Jul 4, 2005
729 posts
47 upvotes
Ontario
cRaZyRaVr wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 3:10 pm
Whats wrong with sugar??
I was comparing products and was wondering if the Silk Almond Dark Chocolate was considered a healthy alternative.

Silk Almond Unsweetened Original - 0 grams of sugar
Silk Almond Unsweetened Vanilla - 0 grams of sugar
Silk Almond Dark Chocolate - 18 grams of sugar

Natrel Lactose Free Milk - 8 grams of sugar
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
2896 posts
719 upvotes
Mississauga
Junk Food Junkie wrote:
Aug 16th, 2019 4:38 pm
I was comparing products and was wondering if the Silk Almond Dark Chocolate was considered a healthy alternative.

Silk Almond Unsweetened Original - 0 grams of sugar
Silk Almond Unsweetened Vanilla - 0 grams of sugar
Silk Almond Dark Chocolate - 18 grams of sugar

Natrel Lactose Free Milk - 8 grams of sugar
Medium apple sugar content = ~20g. So by the way of your thinking, this drink is healthier than an apple.