Ungraded? It must be worse than this?
Images
  • AC50F0CD-CAB2-4422-B2BE-1862676FD094.jpeg
  • E0653AED-FAC2-41F0-A958-5467C3E29564.jpeg
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1703 posts
1169 upvotes
If you are fan of lean, and fully trimmed, then, it's a good price. For me, most mass market beef from Mexico is lean, lean, lean and bland, bland, bland. It doesn't help that it's wet aged from slaughter to retail, so that's not long. Considering the temps the reefers are set at, not a lot of flavor development happens in that short time. I bought a full striploin primal at the height of the shortage last summer, and ended up giving most of it away to other family members that knew what they were getting into. It's not worth it.
Apr 12, 2006
413 posts
58 upvotes
When I lived in Mexico I would go out of my way to Costco to get USDA stuff.

Beef at least in central Mexico was not good at all, and as one other poster mentioned is very lean and flavourless for the most part.
Feb 24, 2019
27 posts
24 upvotes
xxFullThrottlexx wrote: Is Metro not retail? If I'm so wrong then how are they selling it ungraded?

From the site you referenced: "Beef which is imported into Canada must be inspected but does not have to be graded. The Safe Food for Canadians Regulations require that containers of imported beef must bear the grade name from the country of origin or be identified as ungraded beef."

Also from the site you referenced: "Grading is not mandatory but the grade is the commonly accepted criteria used to establish market value."

It also doesn't only apply to imported Beef. There's a requirement for beef to be graded interprovincially when traded, imported or exported but if you don't want to pay for the grading you can just mark it ungraded beef.
Please read YOUR post. You state that grading of beef is voluntary. This is wrong.
Deal Addict
May 30, 2010
1703 posts
1169 upvotes
cano8030 wrote: Please read YOUR post. You state that grading of beef is voluntary. This is wrong.
Inspection is mandatory, grading is voluntary for domestic slaughtered beef. Imported beef, is yet another can of worm WRT to inspection, but again, grading in entirely voluntary. Grading standards, however, are set at the Federal level and grading is done through an industry accredited agency, not a government one.

"Grading attempts to ensure that consumers have an improved product through greater consistency and predictability in the eating quality of specific grades of beef, however grading is not mandatory."

https://www.cattle.ca/cca-resources/pro ... nspection/

https://beefgradingagency.ca/
Dec 15, 2006
991 posts
581 upvotes
Ottawa
Cheap ungraded Mexican beef = we have discovered the dark web of RFD
Jan 23, 2021
13 posts
11 upvotes
I actually just made them for dinner. They were very good. I bought them from the Metro on Yonge Street in North York.

I did marinade them overnight and seared them on the barbeque (medium-rare).
Oct 22, 2007
493 posts
543 upvotes
I guess everybody here who goes to Mexican all inclusive avoid the beef.
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2002
4456 posts
3471 upvotes
Vancouver
The__Rock wrote: I guess everybody here who goes to Mexican all inclusive avoid the beef.
Who goes there?
Deal Addict
Jul 22, 2019
1864 posts
2261 upvotes
The__Rock wrote: I guess everybody here who goes to Mexican all inclusive avoid the beef.
Everyone goes to the all inclusive resorts for the sashimi of course.Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Apr 8, 2018
37 posts
35 upvotes
Metro should be ashamed of themselves for having their in-house butchers trimming ungraded foreign meat.
Last edited by TomRFD on Jun 7th, 2021 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed unnecessary comment
Dec 20, 2010
321 posts
413 upvotes
Ottawa
Bought one tonight and tried it. Most in the store would be close to the select photo above, a few had more marbling.
The tenderloin side of the steak was great and for the price almost worth it on it's on. the short loin side it was not as tender as I like it.
to be fair it's been years since I had a T-Bone, generally we buy filet mignon, fast-fry minute steak or rib steak. I have found that generally we prefer a small Filet or a large looking minute steak and when cooked right they are both enjoyable.

A friend pointed out that the consumers in Mexico likely consumes many more low priced cuts then high ones and in all likely hood they ship their more expensive cuts north and we likely ship them the less expensive cuts that don't sell well in Canada and the USA.
Aug 9, 2013
329 posts
269 upvotes
Mississauga
Considering the level of corruption in Mexico, government inspection means nada senior...

HARD PASS
Deal Fanatic
Dec 4, 2009
5860 posts
2051 upvotes
Soylent green
"I'm a bit upset. I've been grab by the back without any alert and lubrification"
Lucky
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2016
1089 posts
1644 upvotes
scarborough
So has anyone tried the steaks yet.
Jan 23, 2021
13 posts
11 upvotes
explorer11 wrote: So has anyone tried the steaks yet.
Yes, I did but I did a very nice overnight marinade. If it's fresh AAA my family likes as little marinade as possible. You have to adapt based on the quality of meat!