• Last Updated:
  • Feb 27th, 2009 11:58 am
[OP]
Jun 4, 2006
668 posts
322 upvotes
GTA

Mexican Post - Lunch Review

Before I begin, Nutta, the search in this forum sucks donkey balls.

Now I'm going to keep this brief, because in all honesty, I can't justify writing 3 paragraphs on a burrito or taco.

My wife and I visited Mexican post for lunch after hearing about their $5.99 lunch specials, I've always wanted to try this place since the lackluster overpriced burriots from Mucho Burrito is all you can get in the GTA other than paying 20 dollars parking and walking towards Burrito Boys. I love Mexican food, and I've been fortunate enough to come across some real good meals in Mexico and California, recently as this past November, what I do know is Toronto lacks some decent Mexican joints, they are few and far between, thus I've been trying to check out Mexican post for sometime now, but I'll be honest, I've never had high expectations about the place.

So we went in, the place looks like a decent tex-mex/southwest/mexcian restaurant, not too bad. We sit down, there's just one waitress, and what appears to be a manager, who is not Latino, but Sri-Lankan, I'm already starting to dread this place. We look at the menu, no where to be found are the 5.99 dollar specials, so we end up picking up 2 meals, first meal consisted of rice, refried beans, 2 pork tacos that were grilled. The wife ordered a beef taco and chicken enchilada with the same sides, prices for both were 8.99 each. The waitress, along with the manager were friendly and were working their butts off, the restaurant only had 4 tables full, but before we knew it, our meals arrived.

This was the pleasant surprise, our meals were the best we ever had in the GTA. It was comparable to what we've had in California, we were utterly shocked. Seasoning of the meat was excellent, and the portions were generous for a lunch meal, we both could not finish our plates, even though we wanted to, but sleeping on our desks around 3 PM was not an option. The final pleasant surprise came at the bill, both meals were 5.99! I guess they did not have enough cash to print a lunch menu. On our way out we saw a sign with the lunch specials with the meals.

With that being said, I'm not sure this restaurant will survive, I hope it does, I really enjoyed my meals, but common sense tells me at 5.99, and the portions they were serving, along with the number of patrons in the restaurant, does not make good business sense, but who knows.

So much for keeping it brief.

Cheers
16 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12221 posts
148 upvotes
haha.

Yeah it does suck.

But your review was spot on to my observations.

Sadly the whole plaza has a curse on it. The Big Fat Greek Buffet that is next door, has changed names and ownerships many times over the years.

These restaurants have so much room, that it's very rare that they will ever reach maximum occupancy.

I wish the best for the Mexican Post, but it's hidden in that plaza, and is surrounded with other restaurants with better visibility. ie. Mucho Burrito, Mr.Greek, Swiss Chalet, Boston Pizza.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18352 posts
1309 upvotes
Elmira
El Sombrero
El Sombrero
El Sombrero
El Sombrero
El Sombrero
El Sombrero
El Sombrero
El Sombrero
El Sombrero
a closed mind is already defeated
Apr 19, 2005
682 posts
53 upvotes
Since OP didn't actually mention where this place is, I figured I'd put it here for those not familiar with the Mississauga area: It's at 5165 Dixie Road (north of Eglinton).
[OP]
Jun 4, 2006
668 posts
322 upvotes
GTA
Or you could assume everyone is smart enough to use google on this board.
[OP]
Jun 4, 2006
668 posts
322 upvotes
GTA
duckdown wrote: El Sombrero
El Sombrero
El Sombrero
El Sombrero
El Sombrero
El Sombrero
El Sombrero
El Sombrero
El Sombrero
Is that the one in the Mcdonald's plaza?

If so, I've been there, and it's more like Mucho Burrito.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18352 posts
1309 upvotes
Elmira
Carbooja wrote: Is that the one in the Mcdonald's plaza?

If so, I've been there, and it's more like Mucho Burrito.
Nope, it's in the plaza with Kumai sushi and My Apartment (The bar)

It's NOTHING like Mucho Burrito, I promise... Mom & Pop operation
Deal Fanatic
Jul 10, 2003
7871 posts
3465 upvotes
This is my favourite Tex-Mex place in the GTA, and I've tried many different places. It has been around for years and I'm not sure how they're still surviving since there's barely anyone in there every time I've gone there. It used to be called Rio Grande Cantina a couple of years ago, but then they changed their name to Mexican Post. Also, I agree that their portions are massive for the price and we always have food left over to take home. I usually get the fajitas, which come with the most amazing refried beans I have ever tasted. Their free nachos are also the best I've ever tasted, and their salsa can't be beat either.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18352 posts
1309 upvotes
Elmira
Where is this place located?
Deal Guru
Jan 2, 2006
12221 posts
148 upvotes
duckdown wrote: Nope, it's in the plaza with Kumai sushi and My Apartment (The bar)

It's NOTHING like Mucho Burrito, I promise... Mom & Pop operation
Run by Middle eastern people. Not that it makes a difference.

The best nachos i had were made by indians.

As far as best Mexican in the GTA, i'd have to suggest a few of the places down by Kensington market on Augusta Ave.

But Mexican Post and El Sombrero are very good for mexicn in the west end.
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18352 posts
1309 upvotes
Elmira
originalnutta wrote: Run by Middle eastern people. Not that it makes a difference.

The best nachos i had were made by indians.

As far as best Mexican in the GTA, i'd have to suggest a few of the places down by Kensington market on Augusta Ave.

But Mexican Post and El Sombrero are very good for mexicn in the west end.

who's middle eastern? the el sombrero people??
Deal Expert
Mar 7, 2005
18352 posts
1309 upvotes
Elmira
rookie wrote: 5165 DIXIE ROAD, UNIT 3
MISSISSAUGA, ON L4W 4G1
P: 905.602.4747 F: 905.602.1428

(Dixie & Amico)
Thanks, I think I'll go check this place out today for lunch
[OP]
Jun 4, 2006
668 posts
322 upvotes
GTA
duckdown wrote: Thanks, I think I'll go check this place out today for lunch
Ditto for me!
May 21, 2007
218 posts
20 upvotes
same plaza as sugar daddys??

hrm. will def have to check it out..
Apr 19, 2005
682 posts
53 upvotes
Carbooja wrote: Or you could assume everyone is smart enough to use google on this board.
I could assume that... but a few posts after I posted the location, someone asked where it was. =)
Jan 6, 2009
352 posts
12 upvotes
Mississauga
Has anyone tried Mexicali rosa's? I'm wondering if any good.