[OP]
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
10138 posts
3153 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC

Mexico Has Closed Hotels - COVID-19

https://www.gob.mx/cms/uploads/attachme ... D_1700.pdf

The short version is that no hotel reservations can be accepted and existing reservations are cancelled during the term of the “healthy distance” policy.

Exception are made for authorized essential service travel.

Hotels have a 15% occupancy cap.

Foreign tourists who have covid are to relocate to covid hotels. Those without covid are to relocate to non-covid hotels. They are to remain there until arrangements are made for their departure from Mexico.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

Our house is on fire.” Greta Thunberg
16 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2007
1494 posts
525 upvotes
I would love to go down again in November, but it seems unlikely at this point.
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
10138 posts
3153 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
penguindude wrote: Did they say when the policy will end?
Currently until the end of April, subject to review.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair

Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
6162 posts
3226 upvotes
Mississauga
MexiCanuck wrote: Currently until the end of April, subject to review.
Wishful thinking...
[OP]
Deal Guru
May 9, 2007
10138 posts
3153 upvotes
Vancouver Island, BC
mrweather wrote: Wishful thinking...
I think a lot of us are thinking wishfully. Mexico is statistically far behind the US and Canada. (Two deaths per million vs 59 and 15 respectively.)

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Mexico has a more universal health care system like Canada, but lower levels of medical technology in much of the country. Reporting may be less reliable, but who knows? I am confident about Canadian reporting, but maybe not so much about US reporting where much of the health system is private, for-profit, and underreporting may be profitable.

In any case, until countries start to open up borders, what any country does about international tourism rules is pretty much moot.

Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2582 posts
1765 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
MexiCanuck wrote: Currently until the end of April, subject to review.
I know of a lot of hotels that announced closures a few weeks ago until mid/end of May (and naturally the dates will be extended).
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
6048 posts
1909 upvotes
Montreal
MexiCanuck wrote: I think a lot of us are thinking wishfully. Mexico is statistically far behind the US and Canada. (Two deaths per million vs 59 and 15 respectively.)

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
Mexico has only done 36K tests. They are at the bottom of the list when it comes to testing per capita. In comparison, Canada has a third of Mexico's population but has done 422K tests.

There's a good chance that many there have died or will die from COVID-19 without being tested for it.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1385 posts
396 upvotes
Brampton
Not sure if all hotels are closed. I have booked Bahia Principe from Mid May and they are refusing any refund/credit. They are saying that hotels will open after May 1.

https://www.bahia-principe.com/en/covid-19/

Hoping I get refund/credit else all money is gone. They are not ready to help.
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2551 posts
1283 upvotes
Ottawa
dealerguy wrote: Not sure if all hotels are closed. I have booked Bahia Principe from Mid May and they are refusing any refund/credit. They are saying that hotels will open after May 1.

Keep track of your emails. A few friends have had luck disputing charges with their credit card companies for April reservations. I also really doubt they will open May 1 so should be a mute point.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
2582 posts
1765 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
dealerguy wrote: Not sure if all hotels are closed. I have booked Bahia Principe from Mid May and they are refusing any refund/credit. They are saying that hotels will open after May 1.

Based on the latest information I was given the resorts have to comply with the state. The state of Quintana Roo is closed until May 31st.

Have seen quite a few different resorts (incl Bahia Principe) allow bookings when they are closed.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1385 posts
396 upvotes
Brampton
fogetmylogin wrote: Keep track of your emails. A few friends have had luck disputing charges with their credit card companies for April reservations. I also really doubt they will open May 1 so should be a mute point.
I agree with you that they may not be able to open May 1 but there has been no Govt order yet. Keeping an eye on any news from Mexico extending their lockdown. The cases are on rise and it is doubtful they will open May 1. April was official lockdown so even the resorts are refunding bookings.
Oct 12, 2007
211 posts
26 upvotes
Vancouver
Yeah, I got my hotel cancelled already. Better not to risk it anyway.

If it wasn't for West Jet, which will hopefully be forced to honor their original policy, then we have all our money back no problem.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1385 posts
396 upvotes
Brampton
UPDATE:

Received an email from Bahia Principe that reservation needs to be updated due to current situation and someone will call me soon. After 2 days of waiting, I called them myself and got 2 options as my original booking was non-refundable . First, cancel the reservation and keep the credit for any future date. Second, give a date within a year and deposit will be applied against the new reservation. I will get 15% off and Permanent upgrade to Gold Status.

Chose Option 2 and moved the reservation to next year. The date can be changed any time if I decide to go before.
Deal Addict
Jan 1, 2013
1813 posts
1002 upvotes
Durham
dealerguy wrote: UPDATE:

Received an email from Bahia Principe that reservation needs to be updated due to current situation and someone will call me soon. After 2 days of waiting, I called them myself and got 2 options as my original booking was non-refundable . First, cancel the reservation and keep the credit for any future date. Second, give a date within a year and deposit will be applied against the new reservation. I will get 15% off and Permanent upgrade to Gold Status.

Chose Option 2 and moved the reservation to next year. The date can be changed any time if I decide to go before.
Who did you book through? We have a reservation there as well in June. Agent booked through Air Canada vacations
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
1385 posts
396 upvotes
Brampton
Kkhan15 wrote: Who did you book through? We have a reservation there as well in June. Agent booked through Air Canada vacations
I always book directly with resorts and airlines. Never use any agents. Helps in situations like these.