• Last Updated:
  • Feb 11th, 2019 10:48 pm
[OP]
Jul 26, 2008
253 posts
170 upvotes
Montreal

MFC 9340 CDW Printing blank pages.

Very surprised that our 3 year old but seldom used MFC 9340-CDW is only printing out blank pages including the self test page.

I looked at the print report numbers and this device has only printed about 600 pages !

When the printer when it was working would often complain that the Black Toner cartridges was not detected my fix was always to remove and re-insert and it would always print.

Now it just does blank pages,

Here is what I tried, I cleaned the toner contact points as shown here :

I also cleaned the LED heads as shown here :

After doing a few test pages I seems that the ink is staying on the mylar like roller bed under the toner. this would mean that something is wrong with LED that heat up the ink ?. The printer calibration setup fails, the printer registration also fails. both these type of error tell you to contact a service center.

I have two black toner cartridges the original and a Mr Moustache replacement with only 600 pages printer I doubt that they could be both empty, same blank pages with both.

Any Brother repair places in the Montreal area ? as I doubt I will find a simple fix.
14 replies
[OP]
Jul 26, 2008
253 posts
170 upvotes
Montreal
I found the repair manual https://www.manualslib.com/products/Bro ... 43258.html

page 2-91 covers my issue, Completely blank page, I did all the cleaning of the contacts, next I like how the tech is going to figure this , Replace ..... Replace .... Replace, Looks like they go from the cheapest to more expensive parts. This printer cost 400 on amazon.ca in 2015 printed 600 sheets thats .66 cents a page !

Must be the high voltage power supply right ? I noticed the lights don't dim just a fraction of second when the printing starts.

I guess I will to take this appart and see if the board that would be required is this :
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/produc ... 88229.html

Any of you guys's ever had a printer like this fixed ? how much can they possible change ?
[OP]
Jul 26, 2008
253 posts
170 upvotes
Montreal
Here she is, power board is under the printer.

Looked at the board could not see any issues with, found two soldered fuses and they passed a continue test. that's all my skill allow me to do.

same exact board as this https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Brother-MFC-913 ... 3268971099

I also found how the enter the printer maintenance mode, did a few test they tell me to check the toner cartridges and drum units.

I really have to find a repair shop and talk to someone that know these units, I'm overlooking something super simple or it's going to be an expensive . given the cost labor I just don't see how this could be repaired for cheaper than what it cost. I've already sunk 6 hours in this.
[OP]
Jul 26, 2008
253 posts
170 upvotes
Montreal
Update, Brother Canada only has Chat or email support. I started a chat support last week, asked where I could bring the printer for servicing. None they don't have any in Canada. Tech support had me some some tests in the maintenance menu of the device. Same as what I found in the repair manual.
At this point I expressed my disappointed that the device was dead after only printing about 650 pages and I expected a longer life from a device made for a longer duty cycle. I had to say I was definity going to small claims court as in Quebec consumer protection law has a "reasonable lifetime" warranty. As stated here : https://www.opc.gouv.qc.ca/en/consumer/ ... warranties

Left it at that. Got an email response
Thank you for contacting Brother Canada.

We will be sending you a replacement printer that is "Refurbished". Our replacement machines are marked as refurbished, but they are machines that have never been used. They are returns when a company purchases a printer and opened the box only to realize they actually meant to buy a different model. The only few copies printed on it are by our technicians to make sure everything works on the printer. Most have never been opened.

Please keep your whole set of toner cartridges and drum unit(s) along with the belt unit and waste toner container from your current printer as this new one will come without them.
Not 100% piece of mind but this a satisfactory outcome, given the printer was 700 plus days out of warranty.

I will continue to recommend Brother printer to friends and family.
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
1936 posts
830 upvotes
Saint John
Glad to hear they treated the customer well. Most companies would probably tell you to go pound sand.

I swore off HP Laserjet products a while back after they refused to support a 4-year old printer (albeit an inexpensive home/consumer model) by writing a simple Windows 7 driver. There was a workaround with their Vista driver that was only a minor PITA to make work, but really it was the principle.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2009
1278 posts
505 upvotes
naimc wrote:
Feb 1st, 2019 10:25 pm
>>I will continue to recommend Brother printer to friends and family.

the case resolution looks OK, but I would wait with declaring success
till receiving the replacement unit and
printing tens of crisp pages.

Cheers!
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
29836 posts
4625 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I always thought that Brother had their head office in Montreal.

I suspect the drum is not holding a charge. When you get the new printer, try swapping the drum and see if you still get a blank page.
Deal Addict
Nov 27, 2004
3047 posts
166 upvotes
I was going to recommend this printer, not sure if this was a one off, especially when only 600 pages were printed...

Did Brother end up sending you a different model? I guess update when you get the replacement
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2015
4045 posts
1133 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Gee wrote:
Feb 4th, 2019 4:45 am
I always thought that Brother had their head office in Montreal.

I suspect the drum is not holding a charge. When you get the new printer, try swapping the drum and see if you still get a blank page.
You are right https://www.brother.ca/en/contact-us

Not sure if they service there.
[OP]
Jul 26, 2008
253 posts
170 upvotes
Montreal
My first request was to get the address of an official Brother service center so I get a proper diagnostics for the repair of the Printer, quote from my chat session
Me : i would like to bring the device to a brother service center
John: We don't have any authorized service center but would be able to assist you here to see what may going on.
me : let me give you the device SN
John: Thanks
Me : what do you mean the main office is here in montreal Dorval can I bring the device there
John: We don't accept repairs at our office.
They are sending my a replacement printer without some of the parts
Please keep your whole set of toner cartridges and drum unit(s) along with the belt unit and waste toner container from your current printer as this new one will come without them.
I hope they took the decision based on the ERROR codes that were recorded during my 1st chat session, we entered the Service menu of the device, if the replacement with my still prints blank page I will contact support again. Brother said it might take up to 7 days for replacement to arrive. I still am waiting for the shipment confirmation.

My initial mistake with this printer was not calling Brother during the 1st year when I would get repeated messages on the device of the blank toner cartridge missing, I would open the device and reset it. I use this device often to scan but printing only a few times a month.

Initial I purchase this device as my wife was working from home and did lots of printing. I know the MFC 9340 has good reputation here on RFD, hence my post here hoping someone else had encountered my issue or could recommend a repair center Brother or 3rd party.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1240 posts
452 upvotes
London
i had this same printer and after 4 years the official toner ran out. i bought one of the no name brand 123ink toners and after installing it started getting the same toner errors. random pages would print junk or blank or super light. i think mine had about 800 pages printed. brother didn't offer to replace mine for me i had to buy a new printer. 123ink pretty much told me to bad that there toner ruined my printer it worked perfectly till i started to use there toner.
[OP]
Jul 26, 2008
253 posts
170 upvotes
Montreal
aaron158 wrote:
Feb 6th, 2019 9:30 pm
i had this same printer and after 4 years the official toner ran out. i bought one of the no name brand 123ink toners and after installing it started getting the same toner errors. random pages would print junk or blank or super light. i think mine had about 800 pages printed. brother didn't offer to replace mine for me i had to buy a new printer. 123ink pretty much told me to bad that there toner ruined my printer it worked perfectly till i started to use there toner.
Wow, the same printer 800 pages only , makes me wonder are we edge cases.

What did you replace your printer with another color laser multifunction or cheaper BW only more disposable device ?
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
1240 posts
452 upvotes
London
naimc wrote:
Feb 7th, 2019 10:26 pm
Wow, the same printer 800 pages only , makes me wonder are we edge cases.

What did you replace your printer with another color laser multifunction or cheaper BW only more disposable device ?
i went with a cheaper bw only one i rarely used color anyway. the color toners in mine were still at 97%
[OP]
Jul 26, 2008
253 posts
170 upvotes
Montreal
Replacement unit arrived, I transfered my parts. crossed my finger and and it printed that test page. What a surprise, used the original Bbrother b/w cartridge toner that was empty on the defective device, page came out nice and crisp.

Still wondering what was really wrong with the original unit. Last week I tried it again plugged in to my Kill a watt, it showed about a 980 watts draw while printing a blank page.

Refurbished devices showed, at total 160 pages printed, Don't feel like keeping the old one around for parts it take up so much space, but something might break again ?
Deal Addict
Nov 15, 2011
1936 posts
830 upvotes
Saint John
Congrats, dude. Glad to hear you finally got it fixed. If my 9330 every has problems, I hope they'll play ball with me.