• Dec 9th, 2013 1:43 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
5798 posts
1484 upvotes
Milton

MGS: Ground Zeroes Prologue to MSGV: The Phantom Pain - 3/18/2014

During the Konami's Metal Gear 25th Anniversary event, a selected group of people 'sworn secrency' to watch the new real-time demo of the new Metal Gear Solid game running on the new FOX engine running on current gen pc. Thankfully feedback from the demo came out on twitter:
[QUOTE]@kazamatsuri said, "Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes demo was truly amazing, running on a PC at current-gen specs. Wow."

@markmacd tweeted, "Demo of "Metal Gear Solid Ground Zeroes", started w cutscene (all realtime), went into gameplay, open world, night, raining, base. AMAZING," followed by "Snake crawled @ avoiding searchlights, killed guard, rode jeep, called in heli for evac. Sounds like MG, but the scale & atmosphere... Wow."

@ItCameFromJapan chimed in with more details, saying, "Ground Zeroes on Fox Engine - rich detail, open world, and Old Snake is back
[/QUOTE]

Shortly after a new image (Big Boss) was released by Famitsu:
[IMG]http://oyster.ignimgs.com/wordpress/stg ... su-pic.jpg[/IMG]
42 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2008
3396 posts
637 upvotes
416 REAL T-D0T not 9…
DAMN! I have a baby due around x-mas. Not sure when this is coming out, but my gaming time will be vastly reduced soon. :D ;) :| :( :cry: > :( All at the same time.
[Signature removed due to rule violation]
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2007
1500 posts
320 upvotes
Vancouver
Good to see our old friend Snake back.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6767 posts
496 upvotes
GT'eh
Nice to see Kojima and Snake back after rumors of Kojima ending the franchise..., I can almost guarantee the next MGS won't be on current gen consoles as the current gen hardware isn't ready to handle FOX engine, so don't expect the next MGS game for at least 2 years. I've heard the FOX engine is suppoed to rival UE4.

Keep in mind MGS Rizing / Revengenace hasn't even dropped yet and look at how many times that release got pushed back.
Hopefully they show PC some love this time around.
Ne0's Bio:
➡Retired G@mer & t3<h [0nn0!ss3ur ??? Spitting t3<hy lingo since the early 90's ➡Member of Crazy Group Buys ??? ➡ Feedback: eBay|1000+ ??? rFD | 300+
Deal Expert
Apr 30, 2003
24045 posts
4137 upvotes
Toronto
New trailer sooo good...

Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2004
4008 posts
437 upvotes
Toronto
bigsky2 wrote: Good to see our old friend Snake back.
I'm a newbie to this franchise...but didn't Metal Gear Solid become mainstream after the introduction of Solid Snake? So how come I find that people treat Big Boss and Solid Snake as the same even though they are two different characters?
Deal Addict
Jul 1, 2006
2281 posts
123 upvotes
Toronto
SuckaB wrote: I'm a newbie to this franchise...but didn't Metal Gear Solid become mainstream after the introduction of Solid Snake? So how come I find that people treat Big Boss and Solid Snake as the same even though they are two different characters?
Correct. Solid Snake is indeed a soldier engineered from the DNA of Snake. But don't over think it too much... this is a game where Revolver Ocelot got a haunted arm from Liquid Snake who then went on to overtake Ocelot's body.

B/S/TPCPS3MUSICPHONES
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 23, 2008
5798 posts
1484 upvotes
Milton
very impressive trailer-to-gameplay video. I cant wait
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9651 posts
4115 upvotes
Big Boss was the main character of the best Metal Gear game IMO (Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence).
Solid Snake is a non-identical recessive clone of Big Boss. However, Solid Snake is perceived as the main character of the series, starting with Metal Gear Solid 1 which was the first Metal Gear game to get critical acclaim.

Metal Gear Solid 4 was the worst one IMO, especially the story and direction.

As for the Fox Engine footage, that is really impressive next-gen technology. It looks a lot more varied than the Unreal 4 tech demo.

SuckaB wrote: I'm a newbie to this franchise...but didn't Metal Gear Solid become mainstream after the introduction of Solid Snake? So how come I find that people treat Big Boss and Solid Snake as the same even though they are two different characters?
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2004
3226 posts
107 upvotes
Edmonton
Damn it, this looks like a direct sequel to Peace Walker. I couldn't stand playing it cuz of the horrid controls. I hope they have a recap of the game in the prologue.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 21, 2007
5716 posts
632 upvotes
Markham
^agreed

instead of adding all this story for big boss, I really feel like they should remake metal gear and metal gear 2 (the prequels to metal gear solid) and then make a metal gear solid HD edition
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2007
1500 posts
320 upvotes
Vancouver
I don't consider myself an expert on the Metal Gear lore and universe, so I'm not extremely well versed in the world of Metal Gear. Even after playing all four MGS titles at least half a dozen times each, I still get a bit lost with the character trees. I affectionately refer to the main character of each MGS title as Snake. It's been correctly pointed out that Big Boss is the main character of MGS 3, but to me Solid Snake (Snake) has been the key character through the MGS series as the story really came about in this series.

I thoroughly enjoyed MGS 3 as it gave a lot of backstory to the Metal Gear universe and gave the player a good sense of where Solid and Liquid (and a few others) came from and why Big Boss was such a big deal. This was especially important for anyone that did not play the original Metal Gear games on previous consoles.

I would have to say that Metal Gear Solid did become a mainstream title/franchise after Metal Gear Solid, with Solid Snake being the main character. You probably find people treating Big Boss and Solid Snake as the same character as the latter is an almost perfect clone, and to be honest, a lot of MGS fans can't be bothered to make the distinction between the two even though they are as unique as they are similar.

At first glance of the photo only, I assumed it was Solid Snake, so there you go :)
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2007
1500 posts
320 upvotes
Vancouver
adeel wrote: ^agreed

instead of adding all this story for big boss, I really feel like they should remake metal gear and metal gear 2 (the prequels to metal gear solid) and then make a metal gear solid HD edition
I'd support this as well. The franchise would be reinvigorated with a real remake of the first two Metal Gear titles.
Metal Gear Solid 3 pointed in that direction with the pre-prequel story of Big Boss so it would make sense to follow up with Metal Gear / Metal Gear 2 story lines as part of a follow up title.

I guess Kojima wants to move forward and create new content for this franchise. Not to mention, the number and naming convention would confuse a lot of people new to the series :D
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6767 posts
496 upvotes
GT'eh
Its been confirmed MGSGZ will be on current gen consoles and be released sometime after MGS Rizing/Revengane and is in fact not a sequel to MGS4. The timeline is confusing, since its a sequel for a game that came out in the past. Anyone know the exact order or timeline of where this game fits in the MG universe?

The clip seems very story driven, I hope the game dosn't have as many cutscenes as MGS4, but its already looking that way. Still trying to find out more about XOF.

After a discussion with a co-worker, he pointed out the title is grammatically incorrect, saying there can't be more than 1 ground zero. Then he goes on to say it should be ground zeros. My guess is the title has a dual meaning or it could be a double or triple entendre.

After looking at trailer again from different feeds, I have to stay in some parts it still looks very current gen, the lighting physics and mechanics seem improved,
IMO it is not better than the leaked UE4 engine demos. But this game also won't be utilizing the full capability of the Fox engine, according to Hideo himself.
Ne0's Bio:
➡Retired G@mer & t3<h [0nn0!ss3ur ??? Spitting t3<hy lingo since the early 90's ➡Member of Crazy Group Buys ??? ➡ Feedback: eBay|1000+ ??? rFD | 300+
Deal Addict
Aug 23, 2007
1500 posts
320 upvotes
Vancouver
This is my understanding of the games and their story chronology:

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
Metal Gear Solid: Portable Ops
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker
Metal Gear
Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake
Metal Gear Solid / Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty
Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

I've no idea where Ground Zeroes fits in, but I guess it should fit in somewhere between MGS 3 Snake Eater to Peace Walker considering the presence of Big Boss as the protagonist.
References also state that Ground Zeroes would serve as a prologue for Metal Gear Solid 5.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 6, 2004
6767 posts
496 upvotes
GT'eh
I would say this fits in before or after Peace walker, but what throws me off is the weapons and technoloogy it doesn't look like its in the past. Also it looks like there's no Otacon, Boss uses what appears to be a more advanced codec.

I wish I could say that Hideo and the team Kojima knew what they were doing when they launched the franchise and had a timeline planned out, but now it seems they didn't and creating a games and trying to make them fit some sort of sequence. Why just make spin off games and sequels.

So this game stars Big Boss, but then there's also games that star Snake, Solid Snake, Liquid Snake, Raiden, honestly I can't even keep up no more and I don't really care who the characters are, as long as the game rocks and I get my money's worth, and I've played every MG title over the last 20 yrs.
Ne0's Bio: